Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprisingly beneficial cards?

tag
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Surprisingly beneficial cards?

I got a promo for my Gap Silver card this month that advertised 3x on all purchases and 10x on Tuesdays at restaurants until 7/31.  That is HUGE to me, so I've taken it out of the sock-drawer and have added it to my daily rotation (it has actually replaced my Travel Privileges card because 3% > 2.2%).

Any of you receive offers that make you drag a retired card back into the living?  Citi used to randomly do 5x points promos for me but I haven't seen any since I was approved for their TYPreferred card last July Smiley Sad

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

Re: Surprisingly beneficial cards?

like some card you already have and it has a promotion period?? mmm never had a card like that before.. but i did hear that discover had promotion like getting 250$ if spend over 1500 per month consecutively for 5 months... 

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 2 of 7
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I have been watching my cards for quite some time.  Got the Discover ready for the July-Sept bonuses.  Especially for the gas.  5% back!  My daily commute is 107 miles round trip & I use mid grade gas.  Cha Ching!!

On my AMEX, they had a special deal to get $50 back for booking a hotel for over $250.  I called the rep & told them I couldnt go thru their AMEX Travel because they couldn't guarantee my room to be in the block saved for a wedding I'm attending.  He told me I could use the $50 for my flight right away since I had already used the "travel" to book it! 

That was on June 21.  I already have the $50 back as a credit on my bill.  Nice...that's $600. paid on my trip since I booked.  (My payments + their 50)

When I can grab a minute....I will go to each of my reward card sites & see what's new since last week.  Stuff is often changing, so check them often!!!  Smiley Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 7
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

like some card you already have and it has a promotion period?? mmm never had a card like that before.. but i did hear that discover had promotion like getting 250$ if spend over 1500 per month consecutively for 5 months... 

Yep, exactly!  A lot of the time, once you get a card and receive any type of signup bonus, it often feels like card issuers "forget" about you when it comes to special promos and whatnot!

I know the Discover promo you're talking about - Only thing is, I don't spend $1500 in 2 months, let alone consecutively for 5!  Discover did have a bonus 2% on spend for select cardholders last year that was pretty cool though.  Any extra incentive to use a certain card over another is always a plus Smiley Very Happy

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 4 of 7
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

I have been watching my cards for quite some time.  Got the Discover ready for the July-Sept bonuses.  Especially for the gas.  5% back!  My daily commute is 107 miles round trip & I use mid grade gas.  Cha Ching!!

On my AMEX, they had a special deal to get $50 back for booking a hotel for over $250.  I called the rep & told them I couldnt go thru their AMEX Travel because they couldn't guarantee my room to be in the block saved for a wedding I'm attending.  He told me I could use the $50 for my flight right away since I had already used the "travel" to book it! 

That was on June 21.  I already have the $50 back as a credit on my bill.  Nice...that's $600. paid on my trip since I booked.  (My payments + their 50)

When I can grab a minute....I will go to each of my reward card sites & see what's new since last week.  Stuff is often changing, so check them often!!!  Smiley Happy

The amex deals and offers is amazing!  When I learned about the Sallie Mae card, I seriously contemplated closing (or at least downgrading) my Blue Cash Preferred.  However, using their promos, I've recouped an annual fee AND some! 

Message 5 of 7
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

not trying to thread jack but you are aware that there is virtually no benefit to using mid grade gas versus regular 87! the only exception would be in high performance vehicles that require higer levels of octane.

Message 6 of 7
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred does 3x points at restaurants on the first Friday of every month. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.