Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweet deal or, at least I think SO!

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Sweet deal or, at least I think SO!

I guess if they offered me a $150 churning bonus, I might take it, but otherwise I'm not sure if I'd upgrade from my BCE.  You have to spend over $3K per year on groceries to break even with the AF vs. the BCE.  If I thought that would be easy, I would've applied for that instead.

I suppose I could take the offer and PC it back down at 11 months.

I kinda wish they still offered the old Blue Cash... 5% on gas, groceries, and drugstores once you get past $6500 spend, and no AF.  I'd use the hell out of that card.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I guess if they offered me a $150 churning bonus, I might take it, but otherwise I'm not sure if I'd upgrade from my BCE.  You have to spend over $3K per year on groceries to break even with the AF vs. the BCE.  If I thought that would be easy, I would've applied for that instead.

I kinda wish they still offered the old Blue Cash... 5% on gas, groceries, and drugstores once you get past $6500 spend, and no AF.  I'd use the hell out of that card.

I can make the 6K spend on groceries, no problem. I will get my AF back just on gas spend. It's well worth it for me. Don't know why I didn't do it in the first place.

Message 12 of 22
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I can make the 6K spend on groceries, no problem. I will get my AF back just on gas spend. It's well worth it for me. Don't know why I didn't do it in the first place.

You spend over $3K a year just on gas?

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

You spend over $3K a year just on gas?

Hell yeah, $100 per week.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info regarding this offer.  I will hit the 1 year mark in under 3 weeks on my BCE.  If I got the $150 statement credit offer, it seems worth it as that obviously more than covers the first AF that would hit, so basically I could use the car for just under 2 years while netting a $55 bonus still and of course that doesn't count for twice the CB on groceries.

I originally didn't go for the BCP simply because I don't spend more than $50/wk at the grocery store usually, as I tend to use wholesale clubs quite a bit.

What about a future downgrade?  Has anyone done this with Amex by going from BCE to BCP back to BCE?  Those that may have, did you dump the BCP before the first AF hit, say at 11 months?  Any issues in doing this?

Message 15 of 22
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

BBS..... Remember Pooka....  you can change it up as often as you want to Smiley Happy  Normal-ish people might downgrade when the AF posts as you have a 30 day window to get a refund.  Just take it and make notes of your rewards and see if it's worthwhile.   

Disco 5% is best for wholesale through the end of the month then it's next up would be BOA at 2%.  

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool, so in your opinion going from BCE to BCP and back to BCE would be fine and wouldn't result in AA or anything with Amex?

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems this offer is for people who've had their BCE card around a year. I've only had mine for 3 months but I'll have to keep an eye out for the offer. I spend a lot in groceries and gas so I'm kicking myself for not just applying for the BCP.
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know how soon the AF hits when you upgrade? Also how fast is the bonus applied once you meet the spend requirement? 

I would only upgrade the get the $150 offer and then downgrade. Is there an optimal time to do this? Would it be best to downgrade once I see the $150 bonus apply? 

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

We spend 10-15k/yr in groceries/household items as a household. The only thing holding me back from this card is my EX score is now 656 with 3 old med collections that had dropped off the others already. May encourage the wife to get the BCP and I can follow suit later. Debating if I should go ahead and get the BCE during my post closing app mini spree.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.