Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Citi Credit Cards

tag
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

Switching Citi Credit Cards

All, 

Sorry if this has been asked. I opened a Citi AAD about a year ago, spent the necessary amount to get the SUB. I'm thinking of swapping my  Citi AAD for a Citi Premier because the latter just offers more. The questions that I have are: Will Citi allow me to swap my AAD for a CP? Will they do a hard pull? What happens to the miles I got from the AAD SUB? I've never done anything like this before so your input would be appreciated. Also, I have a CSP, so I'm trying to get something more like that card. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Switching Citi Credit Cards

You can reach out to Citi and see whether the Citi AAdvantage is eligible for the Citi TY Premier PC.  If so, there's no HP and they'll read a disclosure as confirmation of the change.  The conversion "grace" period can typically take ~45 days in the event you change your mind.  But, your account is typically switched right away and you'll get a new card in 7-10 days.

As far as the AAdvantage miles go, those pretty much stay in your AAdvantage account.  Be sure to read the T&C since those miles can have an expiration timeframe unless your AAdvantage account has some activity.

Message 2 of 16
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

You can reach out to Citi and see whether the Citi AAdvantage is eligible for the Citi TY Premier PC.  If so, there's no HP and they'll read a disclosure as confirmation of the change.  The conversion "grace" period can typically take ~45 days in the event you change your mind.  But, your account is typically switched right away and you'll get a new card in 7-10 days.

As far as the AAdvantage miles go, those pretty much stay in your AAdvantage account.  Be sure to read the T&C since those miles can have an expiration timeframe unless your AAdvantage account has some activity.

Hello FinStar. I just got off the phone with Citi and I do qualify for making the switch from the AAD card to the Premier Card without having to do a HP. However, I decided against it because I was concerned that if I make the switch, they are going to close the AAD account #(which will report to the CA's) and give me a new account #, which also will report to the CA's. Thus my credit scores may drop because the AAoA of my CC's will drop from the closing of one account and the addition of a "new" account. Make sense? I just paid off my car loan in full and my FICO 8's dropped between 9-18pts because of it so I'm a little gun shy

Message 3 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@joeyv1985 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Hello FinStar. I just got off the phone with Citi and I do qualify for making the switch from the AAD card to the Premier Card without having to do a HP. However, I decided against it because I was concerned that if I make the switch, they are going to close the AAD account #(which will report to the CA's) and give me a new account #, which also will report to the CA's. Thus my credit scores may drop because the AAoA of my CC's will drop from the closing of one account and the addition of a "new" account. Make sense? I just paid off my car loan in full and my FICO 8's dropped between 9-18pts because of it so I'm a little gun shy

No, it doesn't make sense. Call again. 

Account retains original opening date, you get a new card with new number, but that's about it. 

@FinStar already explained what happens with your miles. 

Closed accounts are still included in AAoA calculation for as long as they remain on CR (up to 10 years, but it can be less than that). 

Message 4 of 16
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@joeyv1985 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Account retains original opening date, you get a new card with new number, but that's about it. 

Closed accounts are still included in AAoA calculation for as long as they remain on CR (up to 10 years, but it can be less than that). 

Hmm. I'll give it another shot then 

Message 5 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You can do it via chat (that's what I did) to avoid hold times. 

Instead of having stuff read to you, they will do copypasta in chat.

Easier on the time and ear since it takes forever 

They will literally read the part *Citi trademark blah blah blah* 

I know they have to, but being read T&C over the phone is awkward

Message 6 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@joeyv1985 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@joeyv1985 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@joeyv1985 - I forgot to clarify one additional item, my bad.  See what happens when you eat lots of Oreos - the excitement!

So, your account number will change due to the exchange in the bin-assigned # for a variety of their cards.  This is ok.  

The history of the old AAdvantage card will transfer and it will not impact your AAoA.  All that happens behind the scenes is you'll notice that the account number changed on CRs + the physical card (there will likely be an alert depending on which CMS you're subscribed to).  But, rest assured there won't be a new account opened on CRs (I've done this with Citi several times).  Sometimes agents may not be as informed of the changes or may just be reading a script.

Now call them back to PC 😜. 

Message 7 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Worry not, I held the fort down while you Oreo'ed (during business hours 😐). 

Message 8 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

All that has been shared is solid info, OP! The Premier is quite the card for the right person. I have an unhealthy love for the card and ThankYou points. LOL! 😂
Message 9 of 16
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@joeyv1985 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@joeyv1985 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@joeyv1985 - I forgot to clarify one additional item, my bad.  See what happens when you eat lots of Oreos - the excitement!

So, your account number will change due to the exchange in the bin-assigned # for a variety of their cards.  This is ok.  

The history of the old AAdvantage card will transfer and it will not impact your AAoA.  All that happens behind the scenes is you'll notice that the account number changed on CRs + the physical card (there will likely be an alert depending on which CMS you're subscribed to).  But, rest assured there won't be a new account opened on CRs (I've done this with Citi several times).  Sometimes agents may not be as informed of the changes or may just be reading a script.

Now call them back to PC 😜. 

Done

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.