Did you mean: 

Sync PPMC to use Vantage 4.0 for CLI's

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Sync PPMC to use Vantage 4.0 for CLI's

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

I don't know why this is such a surprise,  they used TU FICO 8 which is the score they provided  to us and based their CLIs on, now they switched to Vatage 4.0 which they provide to us , hence that is what they will be using..

It's a surprise (if the chat agent was not mistaken) because other lenders that provide Vantage scores do not actually use them for lending decisions. This would likely be a big boost for those with marginal FICO scores and hurt those with above average scores from the data points we have seen, at least with VS3.

For TU, my current FICO 08 score is 802, while my VS3 score is 754 (about the closest it has ever been; it's sometimes 100+ points lower) and my VS4 score is only 742.

Because of the way the VS algorithms work, there are probably a lot of people here with FICO scores in the mid-600s that might have an easier time getting approvals and CLIs due to inflated VS scores than some people with 770-800 or higher FICO scores.

I see your pointSmiley Happy

Just with all the recent changes and talks regarding the Vantage 4.0 and who may start to use it,  I just figured this was to happen down the road, and now with synch it may be ust a matter of time?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 21 of 46
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a hard time believing an institution like Synchrony would vest into an unvetted scoring system to make credit decisions. Banks like certainty and for such to be proven over time before moving to a different model. Heck they are still using Fico 8 now 11 years old and some 04 even older.
Message 22 of 46
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I think it is most likely a cost savings things providing a vs4 score vs. FICO score online.  I am pretty certain that CSR was confused as last letter I got from sync approx 1 week ago mentioned FICO TU score.

Message 23 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

My TU Fico 8 and VS 4.0 scores are identical, so the change I suppose doesn't matter to me.

Interesting though is that my VS 4.0 runs 12-13 points higher than my VS 3.0.  I wonder if the VS 4.0 model gives a little more weight to thick/aged files or something.  I started a thread on this a month or so back, but no one really knew any of the differences for sure.

Message 24 of 46
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

I don't know why this is such a surprise,  they used TU FICO 8 which is the score they provided  to us and based their CLIs on, now they switched to Vatage 4.0 which they provide to us , hence that is what they will be using..

It's a surprise (if the chat agent was not mistaken) because other lenders that provide Vantage scores do not actually use them for lending decisions. This would likely be a big boost for those with marginal FICO scores and hurt those with above average scores from the data points we have seen, at least with VS3.

For TU, my current FICO 08 score is 802, while my VS3 score is 754 (about the closest it has ever been; it's sometimes 100+ points lower) and my VS4 score is only 742.

Because of the way the VS algorithms work, there are probably a lot of people here with FICO scores in the mid-600s that might have an easier time getting approvals and CLIs due to inflated VS scores than some people with 770-800 or higher FICO scores.

Exactly. We also tend to forget that the majority of people don't live within this community and are unaware of the many different scoring models. So, if my mom sees her new credit score under her Amazon account, she's going to think that's the score that matters. If they offer one score (VS) and use another for credit decisions (FICO), it could be misleading. I'm repeating myself from my previous post, but that's why I don't understand why Chase and Cap One offer Credit Journey or Creditwise and promote the heck out of it, but they don't use those for their credit decisions. That's almost like an athlete doing Nike commercials, but wearing Adidas in reality (breach of contract aside).

I personally don't care what score they use. I just hope that the switch to VS is not just to offer a cheaper benefit with no real value.

Message 25 of 46
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My TU Fico 8 and VS 4.0 scores are identical, so the change I suppose doesn't matter to me.

Interesting though is that my VS 4.0 runs 12-13 points higher than my VS 3.0.  I wonder if the VS 4.0 model gives a little more weight to thick/aged files or something.  I started a thread on this a month or so back, but no one really knew any of the differences for sure.

I don't know the real differences either, but from I've noticed over time, VS 3 doesn't like baddies regardless of how old; it's very sensitive to changes in utilization per account, and it doesn't seem to take into account closed tradelines. 

Message 26 of 46
FloydWonder
New Contributor

I'm thinking VS 4.0 doesn't penalize paid collections - I have one CO from 2016 and my VS 4.0 is a 790 per the PPMC site. That's awfully close to my EX Fico 9, which is an 801 as of today. TU and EX Fico 8 scores are in the low 700s, understandably.

Interestingly, negative reason code 2 of 2 (after lack of mortgage accts) is that my average credit limits are too low. Didn't think that stuff mattered for scoring purposes.

Vantage Score 4.0 Low CL Reason CodeVantage Score 4.0 Low CL Reason Code

PayPal 2% MC $10K | WF PLOC $10K
Chase Freedom Flex $13.7K | Discover IT $13.5K
WF Propel $8000 | WF Cash Wise $1500 | USB Cash+ 5000
Amex Business Prime $20K | Amex ED $4800 | Amex Gold | Uber Visa $1500

FICO 8 Scores (2/21/21): 767 TU, 770 EQ, 771 EX
Message 27 of 46
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Vantage 4 sure seems to like cryptic messages about mortgage loans and/or lack thereof. Here's my message:

vs4.jpg

Notice the heading "no recently opened real estate loan" and then it the body it tells me my oldest real estate loan was opened "too recently". Um, so which is it: I have too recently opened RE loans or I have none at all??? Smiley Very Happy

Answer: Actually, neither. I have a Home Equity LOC opened Aug. 2017 with Penfed. But both TU & EX lump it in with revolving accounts, only EQ lists it separately as a Real Estate loan.

And as opposed to Fico detailing items affecting your score as a percentage:

Payment History 35%

Amount you owe 30%

Length of credit history 15%

New credit 10%

Types of credit 10%

Vantage 4 gives you much more vague impacts:

Total Credit Usage, Balance and Available Credit - "Exremely Influential", also noting "Focus on keeping revolving balance low, under 30%"

Credit Mix and Experience - "Highly Influential"

Payment History - "Moderately Influential"

Age of Credit History - "Less Influential"

New Accounts - "Less Influential"

On my PPMC VS4 score I get dinged for "Too many bankcards with a high balance", I am committing the mortal sin of having a couple CCs in the 40-48% util. They're 0% APR and not large balances, so my attitude is "get over it". 

Message 28 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

On my PPMC VS4 score I get dinged for "Too many bankcards with a high balance", I am committing the mortal sin of having a couple CCs in the 40-48% util. They're 0% APR and not large balances, so my attitude is "get over it". 

Right, but that attitude changes the score, um, not at all!

Message 29 of 46
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Right, but that attitude changes the score, um, not at all!

Well yes, of course. But I don't need my score changed, my scores are good enough to get what I want, if I wanted anything which I don't, so I'm just saying I don't care about the scoring models' endless nitpics.

Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.