cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synch and their off cycle reporting is killing me, UGH!

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Synch and their off cycle reporting is killing me, UGH!

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@fury1995 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Like seriously...Synch, get it together. They use to not be like this a few years back.  I mean you'd hear of it occasionally, but now its like everytime I have a balance of any kind mid-cycle, they report it. I literally can have a balance of $4.00 on one day, and they report that, and then I make a payment 2 days later, and nothing. No update.

All this in the same cycle BEFORE the statement cuts.  Its so infuriating.  Maybe I need to start making my payments (have a negative balance), then a charge.  My love/hate relationship continues with them...Love my CL's...hate their mid-cycle reporting. Smiley Tongue

Similar but different problem with Sync for me.. pending charges sitting for days and I can't make a payment against them. I just had two pending charges sit for 5 days and post the exact same time as the statement posted. I couldn't make a payment to the account because there was "no current balance" and "no statement balance" to pay. FRUSTRATING

Push a payment externally from your main checking account using the billpay feature in the exact amount of your pending charges. 

You need to be aware of how the lender or account handles overages. Some may let it sit in the negative for a bit while others may immediately refund the amount in the form of a check. That's after you figure out if they'll even allow it. Cap1, for example, will only allow you to overpay your balance by 10%, so you wouldn't be able to prepay a pending charge. If you try, they will issue a refund for the overage as a paper check. 

Message 11 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@fury1995 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Like seriously...Synch, get it together. They use to not be like this a few years back.  I mean you'd hear of it occasionally, but now its like everytime I have a balance of any kind mid-cycle, they report it. I literally can have a balance of $4.00 on one day, and they report that, and then I make a payment 2 days later, and nothing. No update.

All this in the same cycle BEFORE the statement cuts.  Its so infuriating.  Maybe I need to start making my payments (have a negative balance), then a charge.  My love/hate relationship continues with them...Love my CL's...hate their mid-cycle reporting. Smiley Tongue

Similar but different problem with Sync for me.. pending charges sitting for days and I can't make a payment against them. I just had two pending charges sit for 5 days and post the exact same time as the statement posted. I couldn't make a payment to the account because there was "no current balance" and "no statement balance" to pay. FRUSTRATING

Push a payment externally from your main checking account using the billpay feature in the exact amount of your pending charges. 

You need to be aware of how the lender or account handles overages. Some may let it sit in the negative for a bit while others may immediately refund the amount in the form of a check. That's after you figure out if they'll even allow it. Cap1, for example, will only allow you to overpay your balance by 10%, so you wouldn't be able to prepay a pending charge. If you try, they will issue a refund for the overage as a paper check. 

If you go through the lender's own payment page and "pull" a payment, yes. But if you "push" a payment from an external bank account, they won't not accept it. Sure your balance may go negative for a bit, but once those pending charges they won't let you pay in advance post, the balance should all zero out, assuming your pushed payment equals the sum of all the pending charges.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@markhs777 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@markhs777 wrote:

Forgive me for any naivety but how does it affect anyone in a negative way if a small balance reports on a credit report?

For scoring, it's preferable to have a majority of one's revolving accounts reporting zero balances.

Absolutely but I would just wait until the next cycle with 0 balance if one believes that balance would actually trigger a bad result. If a single digit balance may result in a decline I believe there are other issues involved.

Some people prefer to keep their scores at their best at all times. It's not really about a decline or better rate.  Personally, I feel the micromanaging of credit is more work than it's worth. If I know I'm going to make a large purchase then I know well enough in advance that I can get my scores where I need them to be by that loan date. 

Message 13 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@fury1995 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

If you go through the lender's own payment page and "pull" a payment, yes. But if you "push" a payment from an external bank account, they won't not accept it. Sure your balance may go negative for a bit, but once those pending charges they won't let you pay in advance post, the balance should all zero out, assuming your pushed payment equals the sum of all the pending charges.

Of course they'll accept a pushed payment, but if the charge is pending, there's nothing to zero it out. So cap1 will deduct the overage and issue the refund. A pending charge is a pending charge. Until the charge clears, it's just a hold that can be cancelled. If you preorder a video game at best buy a pending charge shows up, but it will never clear because there wasn't a purchase. As far as cap1 is concerned, until the charge clears, you don't owe anything. 

Message 14 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@markhs777 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@markhs777 wrote:

Forgive me for any naivety but how does it affect anyone in a negative way if a small balance reports on a credit report?

For scoring, it's preferable to have a majority of one's revolving accounts reporting zero balances.

Absolutely but I would just wait until the next cycle with 0 balance if one believes that balance would actually trigger a bad result. If a single digit balance may result in a decline I believe there are other issues involved.

Single digit does not cause decline.

All zero's causes a temporary decline.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@fury1995 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Of course they'll accept a pushed payment, but if the charge is pending, there's nothing to zero it out. So cap1 will deduct the overage and issue the refund. A pending charge is a pending charge. Until the charge clears, it's just a hold that can be cancelled. If you preorder a video game at best buy a pending charge shows up, but it will never clear because there wasn't a purchase. As far as cap1 is concerned, until the charge clears, you don't owe anything. 

Although Cap One isn't the bank in question, I will say that I've pushed a payment to Cap One when I was trying to zero out my balance because I had a couple of pending charges that hadn't posted yet, and I had a credit temporarily until the charges did post, but they definitely didn't cut a check for the credit in the short amount of time my balance was negative (~a week or so).

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 16 of 21
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

I've found with Cap 1 that if I'm doing it on a card that reported a balance on the last statement I can pull a payment up to 10% over, but if I try and pay pending charges on a card that had no balance reported the last statement you can't pull a payment over the amount of posted charges.  I don't push payments normally and am generally AZEO, but I guess I would do a push if something came up and it was absolutely necessary to retain AZEO in order to keep the sky from falling (unlikely in most cases to be that critical).

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 17 of 21
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

I had the same issue but after the first 3 statements they stopped off cycle reporting for me 

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 18 of 21
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

I don't think the issue is strictly in the interest of AZEO.  For me, I think the issue is the fact that this Synchrony, who offers gazillion of credit card products, is NOT following an industry norm, and behaves in such a way that is so unpredictable with no established patterns and stability.

It is my humble opinion that all FIs have a duty to accurately and reliably report credit information in a manner that is standard across the industry.  Synchrony's behavior like this comes off as putting us, their customers, hostage.  This is totally unacceptable, TO ME at least.  I briefly entertained the idea of applying for and using their card products, but after the latest fiasco and all these balogne nonsens about their weird and unprofessional behavior led me to a conclusion that no matter how good their card product looks, I will NEVER do business with them.

Think the FIs are the only ones that can pick and choose?  We are, ultimately, their customers.  We can pick and choose as well.

Message 19 of 21
Bill77
Regular Contributor

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

I had the same issue but after the first 3 statements they stopped off cycle reporting for me 

Same with me but I think it was after the first 5-6 statements they stopped off cycle.  I haven't had a "problem" since.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.