Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Banana Republic Credit Limit Decrease - non usage probably

tag
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

Synchrony Banana Republic Credit Limit Decrease - non usage probably

Haven't used the card in a year so i'm not surprised, glad they kept it open since the points you get from it essentially equal 5% back for in store use so not bad. 

Odd they decreased it from 8k to $1,024 assume a bot does that or something

Also did not get any warning or letter or message about using it before this will happen compared to FNBO sending me mail to use the card or lose it. My spending has been going down or at least i'm trying to so I expected this to happen for many of my cards

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Synchrony Banana Republic Credit Limit Decrease - non usage probably

$1024 is the classic Synchrony automated CLD due to extended non-use of the card.

They will often restore the entire credit limit as a one time courtesy if you call in, or if you make a decent purchase (doesn't have to be a huge amount, but a 50 cent Amazon reload won't do it) on the card over the next several days.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 14
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

$1024 is the classic Synchrony automated CLD due to extended non-use of the card.

They will often restore the entire credit limit as a one time courtesy if you call in, or if you make a decent purchase (doesn't have to be a huge amount, but a 50 cent Amazon reload won't do it) on the card over the next several days.

I just got CLD to $1024 on my Google financing account today, so this is good to know. That should hopefully be enough for me to purchase a Pixel 6, but I'm assuming they could HP me for an increase if it isn't enough.

Message 3 of 14
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Interesting tidbit, is this per card or per Synchrony as I wouldn't want to waste this one time option on just a Banana Republic card since I doubt I will ever spend 8k on the card

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TSlop wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

I just got CLD to $1024 on my Google financing account today, so this is good to know. That should hopefully be enough for me to purchase a Pixel 6, but I'm assuming they could HP me for an increase if it isn't enough.

I'm new to synchrony. Would it be a hard pull for an increase request ? 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least you're appearing in good spirits about the CLD. I hope you make it up elsewhere and didn't need too much from the 🍌🍌

Message 6 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MisterWives wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

Interesting tidbit, is this per card or per Synchrony as I wouldn't want to waste this one time option on just a Banana Republic card since I doubt I will ever spend 8k on the card

I would leave it alone then, you can always circle back later and request a SP CLI if you're prepared to put spend on the card.

Events over the last year have shown yet again that when there is a downturn they won't hesitate to close out inactive accounts with highish limits.  At one time they were notorious for their blue envelopes in the mail as they always contained notice of some kind of AA taken.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TSlop wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

I'm new to synchrony. Would it be a hard pull for an increase request ? 

No, they are soft pulls but for most of their cards the highest CL you can obtain by requesting a CLI online is $10K.  If you want more you have to call in and request the CLI.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 8 of 14
Civil
Regular Contributor

I don’t deal with any cards that synchrony provides it’s personal with them…lol.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

I would leave it alone then, you can always circle back later and request a SP CLI if you're prepared to put spend on the card.

Events over the last year have shown yet again that when there is a downturn they won't hesitate to close out inactive accounts with highish limits.  At one time they were notorious for their blue envelopes in the mail as they always contained notice of some kind of AA taken.

FNBO does this too. A quick gander at their Consumer Affairs reviews reveals multiple rounds of CLDs last year beginning in late March/April. Many of the affected reviewers indicate that there was no prolonged inactivity prior to the CLDs, just a slowdown in discretionary spending as we all entered lockdown.

At least the particular CLD OP reports here seems to be due to genuine prolonged inactivity - not a wave of across-the-board CLDs targeting anyone who slowed their spending for a month or two.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.