Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Bank closed my account - high balances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony Bank closed my account - high balances

Synchrony just closed my account because of other accounts. I'm so angry. I worked my butt off trying to get approved by them. Never had a late payment and always paid more than the minimum. I didn't/don't have late payments on my other accounts either but the balances were high. They first reduced my limit, which put my balance above the limit and then just closed just as I was paying to get below their new limit. My other accounts are mostly paid off now but it just doesn't seem right for them to be able to do that. Their letter said it was a balance issue with other credit cards. It looks like I did something wrong but I was paying down my debt ON TIME. Just not fast enough, I guess.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Re: Synchrony Bank closed my account - high balances

I am sorry this happened to you. Synchrony hits again. 

A couple of questions if you don't mind, did you only have one account with them? When they closed the account, did you make a massive pay off to that account?

Current Cards:
Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

So sorry this happened to you.  This seems to be Synch's pattern the last 18 months or so.  To me they are a bank to stay away from at this time.

Message 3 of 33
CreditMarathoner
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear this, but it seems to be the Sync trend these days.

How many accounts, how many with balances and what are their utilization?  How long have you had high utilization on these accounts?  Sync seems to be easily spooked by things that can look risky when looking at the snapshot credit reports provide.

What are your scores?  If you can see your Vantage 4.0 scores on Sync's website, what are those too?

Open Tradelines: 4 Revolvers, 1 Mortgage / Garden Start Date: 10/1/2021 / Garden Goal: don't have one right now
TCL: $26,500 / AAoA: 8y6m / AoYA: 1y5m / Inqs: 1EX 0TU 1EQ / FICO8 Feb 2023: 848(TU) 843(EX)
Message 4 of 33
collics
Established Contributor

Synch strikes again. 

So sorry this happened. 

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 5 of 33
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous this is quite normal for Synchrony and it's well documented on here. This ins't new by a long shot they cut me down in mid 2008 just before the housing crash. And to be fair they were right on point cause they got their money from me and then all heck broke loose. I defaulted on many LOC and CC's. So it's business for them and they have certain algorithms in place to secure their CL given. I currently have 2 Synchrony accounts a Lowe's and Chevron and they are both with 0 balances. And my overal usage is 7% as of this moment. Good luck with your future banking choices. 

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 6 of 33
Regular Contributor

How does "Sync [get] easily spooked?" Don't they just have the computers crunch the risks factors and don't they have some protocol they just follow, meaning humans can't just arbitray do whatever they want?

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 7 of 33
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@10022016 wrote:

How does "Sync [get] easily spooked?" Don't they just have the computers crunch the risks factors and don't they have some protocol they just follow, meaning humans can't just arbitray do whatever they want?

This isn't about "easily spooked" scenarios. It's all based on risk factors exhibited by consumer profiles and any 'flags' that are detected by AI algorithms. So, AI does the majority of the work behind the scenes for a variety of financial institutions. Each financial institution has their own proprietary risk models which adjust to a variety of factors, external and internal.

Message 8 of 33
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

How high of balances if you don't mind saying? Both raw numbers and percent. I just got the Venmo card from them. It reported immediately which is fine. So I put some utilities on it and it reported again at "high utilization" 7 days after the last report. Call me paranoid but I can see them closing my accounts because of something on my credit report that they caused...

Message 9 of 33
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

*sigh*    Sorry for your loss....I don't even know what to say at this point. 

It's SyncB.

Run.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.