Did you mean: 

Synchrony account closure

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Synchrony account closure

@GApeachy wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

**And y'all are silly cuz you made me log in to check mine 😁 😂 even though I had checked them 5 days ago!

Show of hands .... I checked them all and then some.Smiley Very Happy

I checked Amazon. Wasn't really that concerned about the others. 😂 

Message 41 of 231
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for updating us. It's got to be incredibly frustrating to have to wait for the letter to come in the mail. 

Message 42 of 231
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Old Navy was the last opened account with synchrony, January 2019. I can't imagine myself being the only one with all accounts closed at once though.. no new derogatory on my reports to date. Never missed a single payment since my rebuild. I picked up the 11k CL BECU card end of last year tho. Could that have triggered it? Or was it the car loan I picked up mid 2018 for 26k that have had perfect payment history on 🤷🏻‍♀️

Who knows. 

Thanks for the follow-up.  Over a year since the last Sync account was opened, so that's certainly unlikely to have triggered anything. Certainly doubt it is the auto loan.  This one is going to remain a true mystery until you get those letters.  I'm sorry that this happened.

Message 43 of 231
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I'm sorry that this happened to you.

I'm more sorry about your Mom, but I'm glad that she's well at the moment. 

As others have mentioned, your post caused me to look at MY Synchrony accounts... I has a few.

Mine:  9 accounts.  Total credit limit: $88,800.00. Current balance:  $212.00   ( Amazon and DDs gas card...)

Joint/ AU :  3 accounts.  Credit limit:  $45,000.00.  Current balance: $143.00  (DW gas card.)

It wouldn't cripple us, but I would HATE to lose all of that cranberry padding...

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 44 of 231
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Oh yes I checked all mine as well I have six accounts total . 95K total exposure just currently owe PPMC 212.00

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 45 of 231
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Old Navy was the last opened account with synchrony, January 2019. I can't imagine myself being the only one with all accounts closed at once though.. no new derogatory on my reports to date. Never missed a single payment since my rebuild. I picked up the 11k CL BECU card end of last year tho. Could that have triggered it? Or was it the car loan I picked up mid 2018 for 26k that have had perfect payment history on 🤷🏻‍♀️

Who knows. 

I hate to say it, but when you get the letter giving you their supposed reasons for the adverse action, you may still have no real idea why they did it. I've had adverse action several times now, and not once have gotten an actual explanation of the reason why.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 46 of 231
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just discovered that synchrony bank closed all 10 of my accounts. That was about 67.5k in CL. Four of the accounts had a balance <10% while the others all had a 0 balance. Never a late payment on any of my accounts with them so closing all of them at once like this hurts! How will this affect my score though once it's all reported "closed by credit grantor"? 

I am upset but at the same time not upset... one thing for sure though is that I will not be doing business with Synchrony for a long time! Credit score is currently hovering in the 660-670 with an annual income of 125-130k.

A nice amount of replies to the op already but I had to chime in. First...Hoping your mom gets much better real soon.

I have been browsing awhile through the forums and have seen so many crazy things happening with peoples credit.  The closing of accounts, the 4506 requests for financial reviews, adverse actions out of no where, erroneous information on credit reports, credit bureaus screwing up on simple matters taking you through credit hell to get resolved, etc.

One thing that is true 90% of the time when you do get a 7-10 letter that's suppose to enlighten you to whatever triggered AA or Negative outcomes the reasoning is still a mystery.  (really applying the % to major events like op and so many others have experienced).

Usually the denial of a cli or denial of new credit can be reasonably understood (too many accounts, balance on cards too high, too many accounts with balances, recent collection etc.

I've seen the recital of horror stories in the forum and wish sometimes for the days when I didn't give a hoot about credit, lived a simple life mentally not worrying about being the poster sharing my horror story. Ay but there's the rub because as of a little less than 2 years ago I stepped into this credit land filled with minefields.

That's why I do what I do right now:

1. I don't open too many accounts with the same issuer (not going to let you blow up my world with one stroke).

2. Not going to max out my cards (scare existing creditors).

3. Do pay the minimum right away then later pay more before balance reports (anything could happen causing a missed or late payment).

4. Keep my credit moves pretty stable (no out of order super high usage or even super high payments that's not close to the norm).

5. I don't ask for CLI's I just wait on auto increases (if they give one fine if they don't fine too, I'm still relatively new to this so I'm not making any waves potentially drowning me later).

6. I keep all my credit dealings in the middle ground (I don't try to be perfect and I make sure I'm far from the worse).

7. I try to stay informed through this fabulous forum looking at data points, YMMV instances, individual experiences that are shared, following up on post updates to see end results etc.).

By doing these things I have managed to see positive results so far. I realize there is always so much more to learn and I am happy to share with people my credit data points and experiences along the way to help them in their quests if I can.

Hoping op gets an explanation that clearly states why this AA happened and will be waiting for an update in the future that may help all of us to understand.

Peace Out

Message 47 of 231
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry  Mama_Pearl that is terrible...😔

Message 48 of 231
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

I've seen the recital of horror stories in the forum and wish sometimes for the days when I didn't give a hoot about credit, lived a simple life mentally not worrying about being the poster sharing my horror story. Ay but there's the rub because as of a little less than 2 years ago I stepped into this credit land filled with minefields.

That's why I do what I do right now:

1. I don't open too many accounts with the same issuer (not going to let you blow up my world with one stroke).

2. Not going to max out my cards (scare existing creditors).

3. Do pay the minimum right away then later pay more before balance reports (anything could happen causing a missed or late payment).

4. Keep my credit moves pretty stable (no out of order super high usage or even super high payments that's not close to the norm).

5. I don't ask for CLI's I just wait on auto increases (if they give one fine if they don't fine too, I'm still relatively new to this so I'm not making any waves potentially drowning me later).

6. I keep all my credit dealings in the middle ground (I don't try to be perfect and I make sure I'm far from the worse).

7. I try to stay informed through this fabulous forum looking at data points, YMMV instances, individual experiences that are shared, following up on post updates to see end results etc.).

By doing these things I have managed to see positive results so far. I realize there is always so much more to learn and I am happy to share with people my credit data points and experiences along the way to help them in their quests if I can.

Hoping op gets an explanation that clearly states why this AA happened and will be waiting for an update in the future that may help all of us to understand.

Peace Out

Right, this is a particular interpretation on "appear to be normal"!  Generally, credit card issuers want to keep their customers, closing accounts only when they think there is a problem that could cause them trouble.  (Not saying that they are always correct, but that is their motivation)

To be even more normal-looking, I would change the pay frequency: PIF (when possible) after the statement cuts, most people don't pay before a bill!

As always we need to remember that this forum is filled with relatively extreme cases.   Bouts of spree apps followed by gardening isn't the usual way and so what for us might seem moderation ("I only do 2 apps every 6 months") really isn't, which is why we might see more AA than in the wider world.

Message 49 of 231
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Iusedtolurk wrote:

--------

But this is where one's mileage may vary because I've read many successful stories on this forum, and I have personally experienced a promising credit journey. I walked in the footsteps of those success stories and I've learned from others successes and the failures so I don't see mine as walking into a minefield. Starting with 640 in 2016 with only one NFCU plantinum to my name, I am now >800 FICO score and have 7 CCs, a CLOC, a mortgage, and I've closed 2 Chase CCs. Again, just learning and following the great advice from members on this forum guided me in the right direction right off the bat.

I want to balance the scales because I don't want people to live scared to use their cards because I definitely won't live that way. I appreciate what building a positive credit history brought to my life. I like being able to make a large purchase without a single thought of AA. You see, I'm not going to do anything silly to cause a closer review of my credit history. I feel that as long as I pay on-time, PIF or make humongous payments, have no baddes, keep UT across the board between 1 - 8.9%, not carrying balances >60 days unless a BT, and not going crazy with applying for CCs will keep any possible AA at bay.

I've been in the garden going on 15 months next month and can't wait to get my ruby. It's all about balancing the scales. JMO

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 50 of 231
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.