Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony bank just killing people s credit

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Synchnoary bank just killing people s credit

If we include AU accounts, I owe Synch $659.00 on $130,300 worth of credit lines.  Utilization= .005%  (One balance on a zero percent deal, the others are paid in full monthly...)

If they closed every one of them tomorrow, my total utilization would climb from 18.5% to 29.2%.

Who cares?

I am one of many guilty of using Synch for utilization padding... but I've got plenty of others.

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 31 of 92
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Have you tried reaching out to them to see if they would open it back?!      Just curiosity I know some have tried and succeeded on other Cards this has happened to recently if they were in good standing Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lakerfan2011 wrote:

they are killing the people that acutally pay them well and never have a problem with them i still think what they are doing is wrong and they should be looked it 

My guess would be the Terms & Conditions of all the credit cards that Sync reduced or closed permitted them to do so. People need to read the T& C that is sent with their credit cards. Most issuers are smart enough to allow for the unknown in their wording.

Message 33 of 92
lakerfan2011
Regular Contributor

They said it's under review and will take them 30 to 60 days  to review I don't get why it's taking so long I am still waiting I wrote emails to ms keane mr doubles still on hold have not heard a thing back yet and when I call customer service they don't have a clue 

Message 34 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lakerfan2011 wrote:

They said it's under review and will take them 30 to 60 days  to review I don't get why it's taking so long I am still waiting I wrote emails to ms keane mr doubles still on hold have not heard a thing back yet and when I call customer service they don't have a clue 

That always makes a person feel comfortable? "No clue" ?

Message 35 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lakerfan2011 wrote:

they are just cutting credit lines closing accounts what is going on here they are worse they any bank out there all my others are fine just these accounts they messing thye just closed my car care account and dropped my limit on tj maxx this is getting ridiculous any one else having problems with there  snychnoary accounts

I am sorry that you suffered adverse action. You are in good company; however, as others have pointed out, Synchrony, Comenity, Chase, Capital One and even American Express, have recently been cutting limits or more. 

Credit card companies are required to have the funds that they lend out to us in reserves-it is not just an arbitrarily made up amount that just exists. During good times, the banks love to loan out cheap money to us hoping to get swipe fees (Visa, MC, Discover, Amex) and/or interest. The banks are able to borrow from various sources on the cheap and it seems never ending. But, when times get rocky, like now due to Covid, the banks can be seen tightening the purse strings. 

As we saw with the Great Recession and now Covid, the economy can suffer greatly. Banks become more cautious and are not wanting to lend as much and more importantly, are starting to prepare for an onslaught of credit card defaults, charge offs and bankruptcies. Additionally, the sources of funds that our banks borrow to lend to us can also start to dry up. As mentioned above, the banks have to have those funds available that they lend to us. So when they cannot borrow as much, they have to take back some of what they so easily lent out when times were good. 

Bigger banks have the benefit of having our deposits on hand whereas Synchrony Bank only has a small share of deposits through their online savings accounts. This is one of the reasons Synchrony has to pull back with so much force compared to bigger banks. 

It looks like you are angry and upset, and I can understand that, but it also looks like a lot of this happened to you a month ago...and are still angry. I want to impress upon you that at some point you need to let this go to avoid making yourself sick. 

As others have mentioned, as long as you have other creditors and your debt to credit limit ratio is below 30%, losing two Synchrony cards won't have much impact on you. 

Message 36 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't feel bad I had 3 Chase cards closed overnight and there reason was a collection on my record. Apparently it took them 4 years to spot this which I still don't full believe them I think it has to do with everything going on lately. I wouldn't get too upset over it sometimes it's out of our control. 

Message 37 of 92
lakerfan2011
Regular Contributor

Wow sorry to hear that I have 2 accounts with chase and everything fine so hopefully nothing happens there 

Message 38 of 92
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

OP, my advice is twofold:

1.  Pay off any balances you are carrying on any of your credit cards as rapidly as possible, and keep them paid off every month.  No more carrying balances.

2.  Build your credit card portfolio with top tier banks like Chase, Amex, and Bank of America.  Forget Synchrony.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 39 of 92
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Title of thread should be changed. Synchrony Bank is not killing people to the best of my knowledge. And some can read it like that  because it then says S credit.

Message 40 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.