Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Synchrony Account Closure Thread

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Synchrony closed all of my accounts today

@chiefone4u  Ouch! ...and that could be why they closed on you this go 'round.  idk but that could be part of the reason.....their long memory.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 130 of 1,099
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@chiefone4u  Ouch! ...and that could be why they closed on you this go 'round.  idk but that could be part of the reason.....their long memory.

It could be their memory. After the financial meltdown I went from service work (restaurant - dinner cook) to what is now considered "An Essential Worker", truck Driver in the timber industry (haul logs, haul lumber and when slow I haul wood waste to Clearwater Paper so they can make toilet paper and other paper products).

I guess I'll wait and see if all the other accounts give the same reason. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 131 of 1,099
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:

I haul wood waste to Clearwater Paper so they can make toilet paper and other paper products).

Keep On Trucking GIFs | TenorThank you for sharing everything.....drive safely; stay safe and healthy!

Message 132 of 1,099
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@chiefone4u wrote:

I haul wood waste to Clearwater Paper so they can make toilet paper and other paper products).

Keep On Trucking GIFs | TenorThank you for sharing everything.....drive safely; stay safe and healthy!

Boy that's an old image!

@GApeachy, I think you're showing your age Smiley Wink

... but I guess I am too! Smiley Surprised

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 133 of 1,099
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

... but I guess I am too! Smiley Surprised

Uh-oh!......guess so.  (hang-ten)Smiley Very Happy

Message 134 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synch closed my 6 cards with them a couple of weeks ago as well.   No notice, no nothing, just an alert that my cards were closed.  all 6 cards had 10K limits with 0 balance.   Ultimately, they were making no money off me so I'm sure I'm not their most desired customer.  But they cut a customer with 780 FICO score with no negatives and no late payments with a 150K income.  Seems like a poor business decision to me, but at the end of the day the have the right to close accounts and I have the right to say the next time I will app for one of their cards is when Hell freezes over.  The notice in the mail said something about my profile being a risk.   LOL

Message 135 of 1,099
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Synch closed my 6 cards with them a couple of weeks ago as well.   No notice, no nothing, just an alert that my cards were closed.  all 6 cards had 10K limits with 0 balance.   Ultimately, they were making no money off me so I'm sure I'm not their most desired customer.  But they cut a customer with 780 FICO score with no negatives and no late payments with a 150K income.  Seems like a poor business decision to me, but at the end of the day the have the right to close accounts and I have the right to say the next time I will app for one of their cards is when Hell freezes over.  The notice in the mail said something about my profile being a risk.   LOL

Sorry for (their) loss!  Lol Smiley Tongue  Looks like Synchrony is on quite a roll.  Regardless of whatever credit factors are going into these decisions or the profiles of the cardholders being slashed, I think this wholesale slaughter of credit files is simply inexcusable.  Someone's head at the bank needs to roll for allowing it to apparently overextend their ability to lend to this level.  Why not instead cut most of those  credit limits by 50% or just selectively close a line or two per customer?   I'd love to see a class action lawsuit or a congressional investigation demanding more detailed proof of what made those customers a higher risk.  It sounds like a total excuse.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 136 of 1,099
RSX
Valued Contributor

^^ totally agree

whatever Algo let them give those increases to us in the first place, should have been implemented to ramp them down due to lack of use

drop them by 50-80% is different than mass closures

or close the ones with no usage like other creditors do

but everything in one fell swoop is utter BS

of course when i login to Paypal, it gives me the option to apply for PayPal credit - and it is stuck on there - not a one time offer

i am waiting until June to close out my PayPal account entirely - had to be 6 months past the last transaction or i would have done it already

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 137 of 1,099
MacCreed
Valued Member

No big loss. Sync is barely half a step above sub prime.  Stay away!  

Message 138 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for (their) loss!  Lol Smiley Tongue  Looks like Synchrony is on quite a roll.  Regardless of whatever credit factors are going into these decisions or the profiles of the cardholders being slashed, I think this wholesale slaughter of credit files is simply inexcusable.  Someone's head at the bank needs to roll for allowing it to apparently overextend their ability to lend to this level.  Why not instead cut most of those  credit limits by 50% or just selectively close a line or two per customer?   I'd love to see a class action lawsuit or a congressional investigation demanding more detailed proof of what made those customers a higher risk.  It sounds like a total excuse.

They might have found that those resources can be allocated elsewhere in a much more  profitable way, so closing and losing accounts that might provide them pennies could be used to get dollars, and many of them. 

If that's the case, they can't close accounts fast enough.

Message 139 of 1,099
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.