Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Synchrony Account Closure Thread

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Synchrony closed all of my accounts today

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just informed all my Synchrony Accts have been closed as well. I have used Synchrony for years through different businesses and have ALWAYS paid my accounts off on time or early and never been late. The letter they sent me says "Too Few Accounts Paid as Agreed" This is 100% untrue. I have perfect payment history with all my accounts. I called Synchrony and asked them why they would do this and they told me to call the Credit Bureaus. I told them I did and the letter they sent me is completely untrue and they said nothing they can do. 

Now the most infuriating part of this is that now my credit that I've worked so hard to keep good is now going to show less available credit through no fault of my own. I just lost years of credit history making it harder to get new credit to replace what they took. All because of what? I did absolutely nothing wrong. All my accounts are in good standing and they have fabricated a reason to dump me. 

As a company they can go to hell. I will never do business with a company that uses them. However, I feel without cause they have damaged my credit and they should be held accountable. They did this during a global pandemic, when even with people going through hardships still kept they payments on time and in good standing and have kicked us when we're down. I do not believe it is fair when a consumer is paying as agreed to punish them and hurt their credit. Is there any legal action we can take? 

Sorry to hear this. I agree with you 100%.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 280 of 1,099
RSX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

the good news is that you WILL NOT lose your history with them (payments) and you will not drop your Age of Accounts - the accounts will remain for approx 10 years

so your utilization may go up due to loss of empty tradelines, but your history will not change

this happened to me in Feb - 4 accounts , $76k

my score did not drop

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 281 of 1,099
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I truly wonder if a class action could fly. While they have the right to close accounts at their whim, the scope and timing is questionable, at least from a moral standpoint.

Message 282 of 1,099
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I truly wonder if a class action could fly. While they have the right to close accounts at their whim, the scope and timing is questionable, at least from a moral standpoint.

I know we do not always get the full story, but I would also wonder if the reason provided to the customer for closing the accounts was factually inaccurate if that would have any bearing.  Like telling someone they've been deemed high risk would be harder to argue than telling someone they've been late when they haven't.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 283 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is. I understand  their right to close but they ligitimately had no good reason. I've been a customer for 8 years, paid previous accounts off on time and early and have never once missed a payment or even been late. Not with them or my other creditors. When I told them that their letter to be was completely false they told me to take it up with the Credit Bureau's, there is nothing to take up with them since all my credit reports show no late payments as well. They are a horrible company and need to be taught a lesson. As long as the costomer is performing per the agreement they should also perform per agreement. 

Message 284 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, good to know! Still ridiculous however as I renovate and stage Vacation Rentals and the biggest account I lost was Rooms to Go. Use them all the time and pay them off early. So now I have to start over with another furniture store. Fingers crossed they are also not Synchrony. It is truly amazing how many credit lines they are controlling now.     

Message 285 of 1,099
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just informed all my Synchrony Accts have been closed as well. I have used Synchrony for years through different businesses and have ALWAYS paid my accounts off on time or early and never been late. The letter they sent me says "Too Few Accounts Paid as Agreed" This is 100% untrue.

Welcome to My Fico Forums and congrats on your first postings @Anonymous  Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about your closures and frustrations with Synchrony Bank right off the bat.  Hopefully, you'll have some good news to post for us soon!  I totally agree that the account closures or credit line decreases with them was too much of a knee-jerk reaction and indicated they over-extended credit, but I've posted several times about that earlier in this thread. 

How many Sync cards did you have and what were the limits?  And how many other accounts and limits did you have?  If this was the bulk of your total credit line, this is a good example of why we always suggest a good mix of lender diversity in case a single bank takes sudden action like this.   I know you're angry now, but the impacts may not be as bad as you think and remember that "this too shall pass."  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 286 of 1,099
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you, good to know! Still ridiculous however as I renovate and stage Vacation Rentals and the biggest account I lost was Rooms to Go ...

Forum tip @Anonymous  ... For better reader continuity on these threads, if you're replying to a particular comment, you can "quote" it (like I did your posting above) which helps to put your remarks in context.   If you hit the "Reply" button below the comment you're answering, then hit the "Quote" button (on my browser, located in upper right of reply screen), and the quoted text will appear.  You can then edit it (shorten it) to the relevant section if you like (such as I did your remarks above.)   

Once again, welcome to My Fico and hope the forums are helpful to you. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 287 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 Credit Cards that I was still using. 1 Old Navy with no Balance and 1 Rooms to Go with 10K credit limit with only 4K left remaining to pay off. Never late one time and have used Rooms to Go several times and paid off because I am a decorator. I have other credit cards thankfully but, after having these for 8 years without a single payment issue it is not fair. What's the point of being responsible if they close your account anyway? 

Message 288 of 1,099
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous, Welcome to the forums! Truly sorry for your closuresSmiley Sad

Message 289 of 1,099
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.