cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony cutting and closing every single one of my accounts...

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Synchrony cutting and closing every single one of my accounts...

@Loquat wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Synchrony did the same to me. Right after I purchased my home and another car. I have NEVER had a late payment on any of my Synchrony accounts over a several year period and they started cutting my balance and closing my accounts with zero balance. I just inherited 70k ; so don’t really need these **bleep** any more and vow I will never do business with them again !!! I urge others to not do business with this company.

Hi OP

Since you didn't provide any information, one would not just stop doing buiness with a credit card company because another is unhappy with the decisions the lender made in his/her specific situation, and especially without any background information.

Usually, when a lender starts balance chasing or taking adverse action on an account, it's because they're in protective mode. Their algorithms have spotted behavior it perceives as risky. It could be high UT, making only minumum payments on large outstanding balances over a long period of time, a signicant drop in scores, or even non-use of their cards. When adverse action is taken, Synchrony is not only looking at its own accounts that you hold, but your overall credit profile.

It is not personal and shouldn't be taken as such.

While agreeing with the above, Sych is one of the more schizophrenic lenders out there. Their decisions are hard to comprehend at times, and they do seem to AA for reasons that even the minds of MyFico can't figure out. I have an Ebates card that I rarely use as it has a tiny limit on it that seems to be stalled. At the same time I'm getting $10K CLI's from BoA and auto increases from Chase and Elan.

You kinda answered your own question.  You have a card that you rarely which *may* lead to believe that a higher limit is not needed.  Is that the reason for Synchrony not giving you an increase?  Who knows...but if you're not really using the card then I wouldn't bother.  As for getting higher limits from other lenders...just know that they all have their own level of risk that they're willing to take.  The modules in which lenders use can be modified as you know at any given time.  

If you've been around here long enough you'll remember that PenFed was really tight with risk...and somewhere around 2016-2017 they really let loose and lots of folks got in really good with them (myself included) but then as of late, the strings have once again been tightened.  The same can be said with most lenders.  Even the FicoForums famous Navy Federal has even changed things a bit.  Do they still give out large limits...absolutely...have they changed the way in which they do it...absolutely as well.  When I got my first card when them it didn't matter how long my BK has been discharged...the fact that it was discharged got be a card with them with a very generous limit.  As of late they have implemented a 1 year post discharge before even tossing a glance.  My point is things with these lenders are in constant motion.  You just have to be ready strike with the opportunity presents itself.  

I did have the Ebates card in regular use for quite some time, trying to nurture it with those delicious swipes even when it was only returning 1%. I think I ran about $5K through it one month, and somewhere just under the $1500 limit for the most part for a few other months, and always PIF. My last attempt for a CLI my TU was 733 (From BoA), 12% UTI, AAoA 3 years, 8INQ (5 are from when I bought a car a year ago), $145K/year income. Their excuse was AAoA and revolving debt... Smiley Indifferent   I honestly wonder if Synch picked up some store card that I burned back in the early 90's as a stupid teenager and is holding a grudge.

Message 11 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Synchrony did the same to me. Right after I purchased my home and another car. I have NEVER had a late payment on any of my Synchrony accounts over a several year period and they started cutting my balance and closing my accounts with zero balance. I just inherited 70k ; so don’t really need these **bleep** any more and vow I will never do business with them again !!! I urge others to not do business with this company.

Hi OP

Since you didn't provide any information, one would not just stop doing buiness with a credit card company because another is unhappy with the decisions the lender made in his/her specific situation, and especially without any background information.

Usually, when a lender starts balance chasing or taking adverse action on an account, it's because they're in protective mode. Their algorithms have spotted behavior it perceives as risky. It could be high UT, making only minumum payments on large outstanding balances over a long period of time, a signicant drop in scores, or even non-use of their cards. When adverse action is taken, Synchrony is not only looking at its own accounts that you hold, but your overall credit profile.

While agreeing with the above, Sych is one of the more schizophrenic lenders out there. Their decisions are hard to comprehend at times, and they do seem to AA for reasons that even the minds of MyFico can't figure out. I have an Ebates card that I rarely use as it has a tiny limit on it that seems to be stalled. At the same time I'm getting $10K CLI's from BoA and auto increases from Chase and Elan.

You kinda answered your own question.  You have a card that you rarely which *may* lead to believe that a higher limit is not needed.  Is that the reason for Synchrony not giving you an increase?  Who knows...but if you're not really using the card then I wouldn't bother.  As for getting higher limits from other lenders...just know that they all have their own level of risk that they're willing to take.  The modules in which lenders use can be modified as you know at any given time.  

If you've been around here long enough you'll remember that PenFed was really tight with risk...and somewhere around 2016-2017 they really let loose and lots of folks got in really good with them (myself included) but then as of late, the strings have once again been tightened.  The same can be said with most lenders.  Even the FicoForums famous Navy Federal has even changed things a bit.  Do they still give out large limits...absolutely...have they changed the way in which they do it...absolutely as well.  When I got my first card when them it didn't matter how long my BK has been discharged...the fact that it was discharged got be a card with them with a very generous limit.  As of late they have implemented a 1 year post discharge before even tossing a glance.  My point is things with these lenders are in constant motion.  You just have to be ready strike with the opportunity presents itself.  

I did have the Ebates card in regular use for quite some time, trying to nurture it with those delicious swipes even when it was only returning 1%. I think I ran about $5K through it one month, and somewhere just under the $1500 limit for the most part for a few other months, and always PIF. My last attempt for a CLI my TU was 733 (From BoA), 12% UTI, AAoA 3 years, 8INQ (5 are from when I bought a car a year ago), $145K/year income. Their excuse was AAoA and revolving debt... Smiley Indifferent   I honestly wonder if Synch picked up some store card that I burned back in the early 90's as a stupid teenager and is holding a grudge.

@ChargedUp, did you ever try calling Credit Solutions for your Ebates card? 

With your 733 TU they might be able to help (often they can help even when the regular chat/customer service number is unable to).  The overseas number (my preferred) is 877-379-8173.

Message 12 of 17
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi OP

With your 733 TU they might be able to help (often they can help even when the regular chat/customer service number is unable to).  The overseas number (my preferred) is 877-379-8173.

I haven't tried the overseas number trick yet. Did the chat and tossed the card in a drawer after that.  When getting a CLI using this number, do they tend to AA the CL or is it pretty stable?

Message 13 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I haven't tried the overseas number trick yet. Did the chat and tossed the card in a drawer after that.  When getting a CLI using this number, do they tend to AA the CL or is it pretty stable?

While nothing is certain, I can share that I used that number to get both my Lowe's and Sam's Club MasterCard to $20k, and so far they both still have that same credit line even with minimal usage. 

Based on what others have reported (and my own experience) as long as your TU is stable and the card gets a swipe every few months they seem to leave the credit line intact.  Also, if you carry a large balance they seem to leave the credit line alone as long as you make larger than the minimum payments.

Message 14 of 17
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi OP

Just tried the overseas number. (The guy was very hard to understand!) and NADA! Another letter in the mail... Oh well

Message 15 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I wish op would come back instead of leaving us in suspenseSmiley Wink. You cant say somebody is cutting and closing every card and then no follow up. Id recommend locking the threadSmiley Wink
Message 16 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I wish op would come back instead of leaving us in suspenseSmiley Wink. You cant say somebody is cutting and closing every card and then no follow up. Id recommend locking the threadSmiley Wink

I agree.

The OP hasn't been back in nearly a week so the thread is now locked.  @Anonymous if you return and wish to resume the discussion you can reach out to any moderator to have the thread reopened.

--UB

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.