Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony decreasing CL's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Synchrony decreasing CL's

Haven't used one Synchrony in over 2 years so I bought a couple of things recently just to keep it active. They raised my limit a year ago. I use another Synchrony for tires, so I only use it every couple of years. Requested / given a CLI yesterday.

Message 21 of 24
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@austinguy907 wrote:

@migo13 wrote:

I've had the Walmart card for about 5 years now - used the card about twice a year to keep it active.

Update: Did some digging, last use was September 2015. Oops!

18 mo's of non-use?  I'm surprised they didn't just close it.  Obviously you have other cards you're using regularly and they're trying to send you a message.  Synch is pretty generous as long as you do use the card every so often.  I apped for a Sam's MC because they wouldn't upgrade me from the store card.  Well, I quit using the PLCC card after awhile and they finally shut it down after 23 months.  So, you'll probably be able to make a phone call to CS and get that restored if you show some use on it again.  Otherwise, just wait it out and let it close on its own.

YMMV.  Sync will often CLD, but sometimes they will close inactive accounts.  From casual observation, I'd say the Sync Financial accounts (i.e., Care Credit) are more likely to close from inactivity, but the retail cards tend to be CLD'ed.   But others may have different observations and experiences.

Anyway, if you need to keep the card history, it's best to use on occasion to prevent closure.   However, if the card isn't needed, FICO doesn't care if the creditor closes the account or if you do.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 22 of 24
penny_e
Established Member

I had an 900 credit limit with them for only 5 months now, I paid it off 234 bal. went in last night to check the balance it was decreased to 100.00 I closed the acct. Pure rude if you ask me, but they did me a favor in the long run.

VICTORIA SECRET $850 MERRICK BANK $950 WALMART $600 AMAZON STORE $800 CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER $1500 CAPITAL ONE PLATINUM $800
Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

I've noticed recently that synchrony has decreased my wal mart store card CL  as I generally use the Walmart MC; I saw this morning where they also decreased by Old Navy Visa because I haven't used it in over a year.........this doesn't affect my util much at all.  Does this kind of activity hurt my credit?  Should I start using the cards and build credit lines up again or just let them eventually die from being SD'd

IMHO there's no one-size-fits-all answer to your question.

Closed cards mean lower overall available credit which means higher percentage utilization. In some cases the closing of a card or reduction of a credit limit is virtually meaningless, in others it's preferable to avoid closing of cards. So you have to take a look at your portfolio and weigh the various factors.

If you would prefer to keep the card, then make occasional use of it to keep it active.

In my own credit card management I've decided to stay away from pure store cards altogether. The one I'd opened, on an impulse, I closed a week or two later. The other day, when a cashier tried skillfully to suck me into another store card, I gritted my teeth and said no thanks..... repeatedly.

+1

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.