Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony sent me a CareCredit MasterCard

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Synchrony sent me a CareCredit MasterCard

It has been a while since I have posted on the boards.

Today I received a CareCredit MasterCard in the mail from Synchrony. I was shocked as I know Synchrony is closing down accounts left and right. 

I just paid off a $4,000 balance in 9 months which is what makes me think Synchrony sent the MC. I have until 3/31/22 to activate the card.

Problem is that I want a few Chase CC and I took a hit on my 5/24 opening the CareCredit account in January and few others so in the past 2 years so I believe I am 3/24 until March 2022. 

My question to the MyFICO community is will accepting this MC going to add to my 5/24 count or will it just be an upgrade to the original account? 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
KingPredator
Regular Contributor

Re: Synchrony sent me a CareCredit MasterCard

@Medic981 wrote:

Today I received a CareCredit MasterCard in the mail from Synchrony. I was shocked as I know Synchrony is closing down accounts left and right. 

I just paid off a $4,000 balance in 9 months which is what makes me think Synchrony sent the MC. I have until 3/31/22 to activate the card.

Problem is that I want a few Chase CC and I took a hit on my 5/24 opening the CareCredit account in January and few others so in the past 2 years so I believe I am 3/24 until March 2022. 

My question to the MyFICO community is will accepting this MC going to add to my 5/24 count or will it just be an upgrade to the original account? 

Someone else had the same scenario a few days ago and based on some of the answers it does appear to report as a new account if you take the upgrade. 

Message 2 of 42
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

I just got this card a few days ago as well. YMMV, but there have been recent reports that Synchrony is handling MasterCard upgrades differently now. A poster did a Sam's upgrade, and it was not listed as a new tradeline on their credit report. Another poster experienced the same thing with upgrading a CareCredit card. I'm waiting for a while to see how this plays out, because I'm not interested in opening a new tradeline.

Here are the two threads that have this information:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Sam-s-Club-SYNCB-upgrade-to-MC-World-Elite-question/td...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/CareCredit-Upgrade/td-p/6412275

Message 3 of 42
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

Today I received a CareCredit MasterCard in the mail from Synchrony.

I had no idea that was still being done! If I'm understanding correctly, that is. So you didn't apply for or accept an offer for this card, it just showed up in your mail? And you can decide whether or not to keep it? I thought that had stopped back in the '80s or '90s.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 42
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

@Medic981 does the new card have the same number as the old card? When NFCU upgraded my card to a signature I had the same card number so it was really an upgrade.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 5 of 42
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

Today I received a CareCredit MasterCard in the mail from Synchrony.

I had no idea that was still being done! If I'm understanding correctly, that is. So you didn't apply for or accept an offer for this card, it just showed up in your mail? And you can decide whether or not to keep it? I thought that had stopped back in the '80s or '90s.

My understanding on these upgrades, one would have had to accept an offer to receive the plastic.  SYNCB doesn't typically just send out a card without accepting the upgrade, granted you have time to accept said upgrade by a specific date, but that's when the upgrade offer is presented (whether via online pop-up or mailer), if interested.

Message 6 of 42
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

That’s been my experience. I accepted the upgrade when I randomly logged into my CareCredit account and when accepted the card arrived. I think the days of sending cards in the mail without solicitation ending some 30+ years ago.
Message 7 of 42
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Rebuild2019 wrote:
@Medic981does the new card have the same number as the old card? When NFCU upgraded my card to a signature I had the same card number so it was really an upgrade.

@Rebuild2019the CareCredit upgrade would be going from a non-MC version to MC so the actual account number would change.

Message 8 of 42
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
That’s been my experience. I accepted the upgrade when I randomly logged into my CareCredit account and when accepted the card arrived. I think the days of sending cards in the mail without solicitation ending some 30+ years ago.

Not for me, got the card in the mail the other day. Have until March 2022 to accept upgrade offer.

Message 9 of 42
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Thanks @FinStar

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.