Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TARGET RED CARD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TARGET RED CARD

sgosh5,

Thanks for the response...I just have to ask..Looking at your profile signature, how long did it take you to be able to obtain so many cards. I think you have every card that is available from every credit card company out there. 

Just curious...I hope one day I have the ability to get this kind of credit ability. I have had so many setbacks between bankruptcy filing in 2015 that is finishing up, to pay decreases in employment.. I just feel so frustrated trying to always make it over the threshold to a 700 score...I don't think my score has ever been over 650. 

Message 11 of 32
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Congrats on the Red Card approval. 

I just advise you and anyone else who has it to be EXTREMELY careful.

I had that card and it's been nothing but a thorn in my side.

Target pushes that card at the checkout stand and harasses their employees to sell it.

There are lots of horror stories on line about it from employees and other customers. 

Then Target National Bank is VERY customer-hostile with any situations you need to work with them about.

Target presents this very friendly, hip image on their commercials, but Target National Bank is anything but friendly.

They can keep their 5%.  For that matter, they lost me as a customer for good.  I refuse to even set foot in their stores.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 12 of 32
SBR249
Established Contributor

Target National Bank was acquired by TD Bank back in 2013. I haven't heard a lot of complaints about TD Bank tbh. 

Message 13 of 32
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Before applying for the card, just think about your goals.   If you want a credit card with some CL, it may not be a great choice as SL are often somewhat low compared to some other choices.    If you just want the 5% off at Target, the debit card is a good choice which doesn't impact your credit report (but with fewer protections on big ticket items)

I realized after getting the card and activating it i get 10%  off on Hotels.com which is awesome for me since i have a lot of travel and hotel stays coming up this year. So the application for new card didn't go totally worthless for me.

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 14 of 32
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

sgosh5,

Thanks for the response...I just have to ask..Looking at your profile signature, how long did it take you to be able to obtain so many cards. I think you have every card that is available from every credit card company out there. 

Just curious...I hope one day I have the ability to get this kind of credit ability. I have had so many setbacks between bankruptcy filing in 2015 that is finishing up, to pay decreases in employment.. I just feel so frustrated trying to always make it over the threshold to a 700 score...I don't think my score has ever been over 650. 

Back in 2013 my score was 480s in all bureau because of tons collection, charge offs etc. I am thankful to my job which helped me get back on my feet. I paid off each collection, debt and whatever bad i had, called them to negotiate to delete from report, some of them did, some of them didn't. The ones didn't fell off from report in a year or two and since then my scores gradually went up. I started with getting secured cards from Cap one and other banks and ended up closing them later. Right now my scores should easliy be around 800s but they are down due to too many applications and new accounts. I am in garden till one year at least as i am looking a to get a second house next year. I realized it late but credit is very important in this country. I came here as an international student so messed up in my initial years but not anymore. Plus my DW is a big inspiration here. She managed her credit so well in very less time. Came here in 2008 and now her credit scores are 830s, 0 negative, 0 inqs lol. 

Dont worry my friend. You will get there. Remember its a marathon not a sprint.

Message 15 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sghosh5 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Before applying for the card, just think about your goals.   If you want a credit card with some CL, it may not be a great choice as SL are often somewhat low compared to some other choices.    If you just want the 5% off at Target, the debit card is a good choice which doesn't impact your credit report (but with fewer protections on big ticket items)

I realized after getting the card and activating it i get 10%  off on Hotels.com which is awesome for me since i have a lot of travel and hotel stays coming up this year. So the application for new card didn't go totally worthless for me.

The Target MC gives 10% off Hotels.com?

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my Target Red Card at the beginning of April this year. They started me with $2500. They pulled EQ and made my 12th EQ INQ. UTI was below 10% across the board.

In the 3 months I have used their card I have saved well over $180 between the 5%, cartwheel, app coupons, sales, target gift cards, etc.  In fact, there are a lot of online/ same day pickup deals. For example, last month when I threw 3 or 4 packages of dog treats into my cart I was offered 40% off if I picked my order up the same day.

I am a couponer, sale shopper, and Target is on my regular shopping circuit so for me getting a Red Card made sense. Now they have high interest rates so I don't recommend the card if you have to carry a balance at all.

Message 17 of 32
WorkingHard56
Valued Member

I applied with a 643 Equifax score and they told me to pound sand.

It was a haste decision to apply.
Message 18 of 32
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@WorkingHard56 wrote:
I applied with a 643 Equifax score and they told me to pound sand.
It was a haste decision to apply.

^ ^ ^  That is one of the things I was talking about with the Red Card.

(Although a lot more had to do with what happened later.)

IMO, retailers should be forbidden to approach customers at the checkout

to make a spur-of-the-moment decision about applying for credit.

Applying for credit is NOT an 'impulse purchase' like buying a pack of gum. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 19 of 32
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@sghosh5 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

The Target MC gives 10% off Hotels.com?

I just got the red card (store card). When i logged in the account, there was a link to take you to Hotels.com for 10% discount. You cannot add the coupon code if you do not go to the link from Target site.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.