Contributor

TCF Bank Maximum Rewards® Visa® Card. 2.5% Cash Back

Screenshot_20201021-085017_Gmail.jpg

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: TCF Bank Maximum Rewards® Visa® Card. 2.5% Cash Back

I had to use these guys to purchase my condo. Due to some regulatory nonsense in my state, I needed to offer 25% down payment. This wasn't possible but my mortgage lender allowed me to get a second loan to help cover the down payment. After 3 years of double, triple, and even quadruple payments and seeing the balance basically not go down, I refinanced this year and get a better rate on both my initial mortgage rate and then bundled in this HELOC into it. Ultimately saving me ~$300 a month. 

Their rates change often. Their rates weren't good with what I had, which was essentially a HELOC. It had a $75 AF as well. I can't even find terms & conditions when trying to apply for this card on their website so I can't even tell what the APR is on this product. Also, I see no mention of 2.5% cashback. In fact, I can't find any verbiage that indicate there is cashback on this card at all. Their web portal wasn't great. 

Avoid if possible, there are better options for cashback out there. Much more reliable options. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 11
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

From their website, it looks like it's usually 1.5x points, 17.99-27.99 APR.  Pretty meh.

Message 3 of 11
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

From their website, it looks like it's usually 1.5x points, 17.99-27.99 APR.  Pretty meh.

I finally found the correct splash page. Yeah that is very meh.

Here is also some verbiage from T&C on redemption:

REWARDS AND REDEMPTION: Point redemption may be subject to shipping, handling, or other fees. Redemption requests are subject to point balance verification. Upon verification of the point balance, if the Account
does not have enough points to redeem for a particular Reward, the Reward may still be obtained by redeeming at least 1,000 points toward the Reward and then paying the balance owed for the Reward with a credit
card. If a credit card is reported lost or stolen, the ability to redeem points will be temporarily suspended until a new card is issued.

I'm not even sure what a "Reward" could be besides cashback since there's no mention of them. O_o?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 11
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Website says you can "redeem reward points for cash back, gift cards, travel and merchandise".  So cash back and junk, probably.

Message 5 of 11
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

Website says you can "redeem reward points for cash back, gift cards, travel and merchandise".  So cash back and junk, probably.

I'm really useless this morning. It was a very rough one. Thanks for the 4-1-1.

I'm going to pull a Remedios and blame not having coffee. 

Message 6 of 11
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Slabenstein wrote:

Or just blame Remedios.

Message 7 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Slabenstein wrote:

Or just blame Remedios.

@Remedios doesn't get to blame things on not getting coffee, she gets a mug every morning. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I'd like to welcome you all to the Blame Remedios Club. 

It's tons of fun 😐

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few points of interest. This card is actually issued by FNBO Bank Omaha NE for tcf.

Also, tcf is the results of a recent merger with Chemical Bank under the umbrella of Chemical Financial with their new headquarters in Detroit Michigan (tcf used to be located in Minneapolis MN).

They do have other cards (or did).
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.