Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU FICO Score difference??

tag
Creditspa
Valued Member

TU FICO Score difference??

I recently app and got the Discover More card (5K CL). On the approval letter I received in the mail, they gave me a TU FICO score of 710. This is way different from the TU FICO score of 655 from (here) myfico TU monitoring service. Why such a big difference? It appears that there are two different algorithms being used here and with the creditor. Is the myfico product a Fako score? I am suprise that I even got the Discover more card, as i was sitting on the edge waiting for my socre to go above 700 (monitoring the score from this site) before applying. I just could not hold out anymore and just app for it. It's a good thing I did. 

Similiar thing happened to me about seven weeks ago. I app for an Amex card PRG and was denied for having a "recovery product"------the Optima Card. The rep told me my EX score is above 700 so if I close the Optima, I would more than likely be approved for the PRG card. I never bother to close it, as I am waiting for six months of steady on-time PIF before doing so. i co an Amex BCP for 10k and PIF. 

Background: When I originally applied for the Amex BCP in 2008, I was approved with a CL of 25k. I had an EX score in the high 830s, but due to being laid off, my credit suffered. I also had a More card with a CL of 5K too, but that was PIF and closed by me (Paid as agreed". I think that helped me in getting another more card too. I didn't know abuot requesting CLIs too, but now I know, thanks to this website. I am on the road to redemption once again. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TU FICO Score difference??

@Creditspa wrote:

I recently app and got the Discover More card (5K CL). On the approval letter I received in the mail, they gave me a TU FICO score of 710. This is way different from the TU FICO score of 655 from (here) myfico TU monitoring service. Why such a big difference? It appears that there are two different algorithms being used here and with the creditor. Is the myfico product a Fako score? I am suprise that I even got the Discover more card, as i was sitting on the edge waiting for my socre to go above 700 (monitoring the score from this site) before applying. I just could not hold out anymore and just app for it. It's a good thing I did. 

Similiar thing happened to me about seven weeks ago. I app for an Amex card PRG and was denied for having a "recovery product"------the Optima Card. The rep told me my EX score is above 700 so if I close the Optima, I would more than likely be approved for the PRG card. I never bother to close it, as I am waiting for six months of steady on-time PIF before doing so. i co an Amex BCP for 10k and PIF. 

Background: When I originally applied for the Amex BCP in 2008, I was approved with a CL of 25k. I had an EX score in the high 830s, but due to being laid off, my credit suffered. I also had a More card with a CL of 5K too, but that was PIF and closed by me (Paid as agreed". I think that helped me in getting another more card too. I didn't know abuot requesting CLIs too, but now I know, thanks to this website. I am on the road to redemption once again. 

They probably used either the TU04 version or the TU08 version...  both of these versions give you a higher score than what is pulled here, which is the TU98 version... Just like Microsoft Office gets upgrades every yr, so does the scoring algorithm. What you pull here is a Fico, but it is an older version...  its still way more accurate than FAKOS

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

By the way, do you know how often you can request CLI on Discover?  I got an auto CLI from 3500 > 4200 back in December...

I want the Discover CL to match my other cards, so i would like to have a 5k or more limit, especially since its my oldest account opened since 1999... I wish you would have left that discover card open.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 15
Creditspa
Valued Member

@webhopper wrote:

By the way, do you know how often you can request CLI on Discover?  I got an auto CLI from 3500 > 4200 back in December...

I want the Discover CL to match my other cards, so i would like to have a 5k or more limit, especially since its my oldest account opened since 1999... I wish you would have left that discover card open.

I don't know when discover will give CLI, as I never requested one before. I also just got this new Discover More Card so we shall see. Before that I never even knew that one could request an increase in CL becasue all my cards, then, had a minimum of 5000k CL up to a maximum of 25k in limits. i know a lot more now and will never close CC accounts anymore and will just sock-drawer the ones I intend to barely use. Thanks to this Forum!! I am under the impression that my Expreian Fico Score is somewhere close to the TU score. 

Like I said earlier when I app and got denied for the Amex PRG, the representative told me that my socre was over 700 and that was over 6 to 7 weeks ago. 

Which other creditor solely pull Ex?

Message 4 of 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

They probably used either the TU04 version or the TU08 version...  both of these versions give you a higher score than what is pulled here, which is the TU98 version... Just like Microsoft Office gets upgrades every yr, so does the scoring algorithm. What you pull here is a Fico, but it is an older version...  its still way more accurate than FAKOS

This is not an absolute. There are posts where the TU98 is higher.

Message 5 of 15
mkm77
Regular Contributor

My TU 98 has been higher for a good while by about 35 points.

Message 6 of 15
MissImMe
Valued Member

My TU from MyFico is at 662. My potential rental company pulled my TU and got a 648.

Finally hit the 800 club. I don’t see any other credit cards that I want. Guess I’ll garden.
Message 7 of 15
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Thats not true. My TU98 is a 690 & my Walmart TU08 is a 658

Message 8 of 15
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

TU scores for me:  

TU98 727

TU04 741

TU08 678

TU08 doesn't like SOMETHING on my report!!!

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 9 of 15
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

TU scores for me:  

TU98 727

TU04 741

TU08 678

TU08 doesn't like SOMETHING on my report!!!

Hey, where'd you get your TU04?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.