Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU is now clean,who 2 app for?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: TU is now clean,who 2 app for?

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Are you sure you aren't looking at this backwards? Instead of looking for cards you CAN GET, why not look at cards you WANT or that would HELP YOU? If your eq will be clean in less than 2 months, it would be a shame to lose the opportunity to get cards you want because you applied for a bunch you could. 

Yeah, GE pulls TU, but does having a card with little to no rewards and a high interest rate really help you? Sure, they "grow with you", but so does any bank (except maybe Cap1). The others just grow a little slower. And barclay's is pretty notorious for taking adverse action if you apply for a bunch of stuff in the 6 months AFTER you get their card. So if you want the priceline visa (2% cash back is pretty good), you should apply for that last, not first. 

Is your EX going to remain with negatives for a while? If not, why not wait until all 3 are clean, then review your current cards and identify the gaps. At a minimum, you should have one card with a low interest rate (for emergencies and when you NEED to carry a balance short term), one with a good rewards structure (for most people, that means cash rewards with bonus categories that reflect their actual spending habits) and one with great customer service/customer support. Unless you spend a lot of money, getting more cards beyond a certain points just dilutes the value of the individual rewards programs. I love USAA as an institution, but every dollar I put on their card is a dollar I don't put on the CSP. If it comes time to use my UR points and I find myself a thousand short of my goal, I'll be pretty pissed that I spent money on other cards. 

I know this board beats the idea of high limits for high limits sake to death. But grabbing a few good cards from a few good banks and using them responsibly WILL grow your limits. And they will be high limits on cards you actually use. In a little over a year, I've grown my limits from 1400 to a little over 60k without applying for a single GE card. With the exception of the USAA card, these are all cards I use monthly and they all serve a purpose beyond just having a high limit. 

Focus on the long term, choose cards that help YOU achieve YOUR goals and resist the temptation to get cards just because you can. 

totally agree!!

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 11 of 17
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Does Discover usually pull Transunion?

Goal 750 Across

Message 12 of 17
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

I am totally with the post above regarding not looking at things backwards.

I just got the last baddie ejected from my Eq report and now everything is squeaky clean on all three.  I have several cards already (see siggy) and while I could probably get approved for the cards I want now,   (Amex prem Gold, Chase Freedom and Discover It.) I am refusing to app for anything until after all the cards I just paid down report to the bureaus.  I also have a couple CLIs that I want to report as well.

The reasons for this are simple really:

1.  I worked hard to build a good picture and I want it the best it can be when I app.

2.  I don't wanna hear "nope" from any of them.

3.  I will probably get better terms and limits if I wait til my overall util is a nice 4%

I orginally was geeking out on the pull databases searching for what card I could get now and not wait...but the wise folks here kept saying the same thing to me and to others as well..."Wait and let everything report"  It just made too much sense.

So yes Discover is known to pull TU.  However if you are marginal they might very well also pull another bureau too.  My advice is don't risk it if you can wait a month or two and insure the reports across the other bureaus are just as clean as TU.   In the end, you will, like me, probably be glad you did. 

Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 13 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Amex will pull TU if your others are borderline!
Got my Amex BCE with a 696 TU Fico!
:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 17
brother7
Established Contributor

+1 to the Priceline Rewards Visa, which is a TU puller.
I don't have it but my brother does. It's one of the few 2% everything cards.
I'm waiting for my last serious derog to drop in 11/2013 before I apply.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 15 of 17
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Pilotdude wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I am totally with the post above regarding not looking at things backwards.

I just got the last baddie ejected from my Eq report and now everything is squeaky clean on all three.  I have several cards already (see siggy) and while I could probably get approved for the cards I want now,   (Amex prem Gold, Chase Freedom and Discover It.) I am refusing to app for anything until after all the cards I just paid down report to the bureaus.  I also have a couple CLIs that I want to report as well.

The reasons for this are simple really:

1.  I worked hard to build a good picture and I want it the best it can be when I app.

2.  I don't wanna hear "nope" from any of them.

3.  I will probably get better terms and limits if I wait til my overall util is a nice 4%

I orginally was geeking out on the pull databases searching for what card I could get now and not wait...but the wise folks here kept saying the same thing to me and to others as well..."Wait and let everything report"  It just made too much sense.

So yes Discover is known to pull TU.  However if you are marginal they might very well also pull another bureau too.  My advice is don't risk it if you can wait a month or two and insure the reports across the other bureaus are just as clean as TU.   In the end, you will, like me, probably be glad you did. 

Smiley Happy

Very good advice which I appreciate you offering.I have worked none stop to improve my credit and it hasn't been an easy road. Nearly nine years ago when my mother became ill, there were only a few choices before me.I took the path that required putting personal achievement on the back burner and that included not maintaining my credit. I went from being a person that enjoyed job forefillment and paying my bills on time to spending all my time caring for a very loving parent.Because I couldn't do it all which is a short coming of my abilities, my credit took a major hit. Fast forward 9 years later and time has helped to create a new beginning credit wise. What an amazing feeling it was to get approved for my Navy Federal Cash Rewards Signature card. The type of limit they gave me made all the hard work in rebuilding my credit well worth it. And there is a part of me that feel boeyed by the recent success of getting Chase and NFCU. I agree that the causious choice is to wait till my collection falls off my Equifax in may. The idea of having Fico scores in the 750 range seem allmost unreal. So from here on the new plan is to think of these changes on my report as a beginning to the next phase of rebuilding, and not a reason to app for some of my dream cards. I'll let some time go by.

Goal 750 Across

Message 16 of 17
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Are you sure you aren't looking at this backwards? Instead of looking for cards you CAN GET, why not look at cards you WANT or that would HELP YOU? If your eq will be clean in less than 2 months, it would be a shame to lose the opportunity to get cards you want because you applied for a bunch you could. 

Yeah, GE pulls TU, but does having a card with little to no rewards and a high interest rate really help you? Sure, they "grow with you", but so does any bank (except maybe Cap1). The others just grow a little slower. And barclay's is pretty notorious for taking adverse action if you apply for a bunch of stuff in the 6 months AFTER you get their card. So if you want the priceline visa (2% cash back is pretty good), you should apply for that last, not first. 

Is your EX going to remain with negatives for a while? If not, why not wait until all 3 are clean, then review your current cards and identify the gaps. At a minimum, you should have one card with a low interest rate (for emergencies and when you NEED to carry a balance short term), one with a good rewards structure (for most people, that means cash rewards with bonus categories that reflect their actual spending habits) and one with great customer service/customer support. Unless you spend a lot of money, getting more cards beyond a certain points just dilutes the value of the individual rewards programs. I love USAA as an institution, but every dollar I put on their card is a dollar I don't put on the CSP. If it comes time to use my UR points and I find myself a thousand short of my goal, I'll be pretty pissed that I spent money on other cards. 

I know this board beats the idea of high limits for high limits sake to death. But grabbing a few good cards from a few good banks and using them responsibly WILL grow your limits. And they will be high limits on cards you actually use. In a little over a year, I've grown my limits from 1400 to a little over 60k without applying for a single GE card. With the exception of the USAA card, these are all cards I use monthly and they all serve a purpose beyond just having a high limit. 

Focus on the long term, choose cards that help YOU achieve YOUR goals and resist the temptation to get cards just because you can. 

Thank you for your post.It was filled with wisdom and a excellent blueprint to successful credit building, and with a real purpose to credit card handling. I think there is a part of me that is a little shocked that my credit reports are getting healthier.I have been turned down by nearly 4 lenders while rebuilding.And that did infact make me quite gun shy and unwilling to risk inquiries that do not result in success. So seeing a clean report before me has created a bit of a eager beaver. I agree that waiting a few months is the smart move.One thing it can do is assist in my pursuit of asking for a lower interest rate with my navy fed card. And I very much do want to app for cards that offer the biggest bang.So I'll wait till may which is only..........................................................................55 days away, but who's countingSmiley Happy I will take your much appreciated advice and wait. wow, feel like I just had a intervention. In the mean time I'll just come on here and plan my strategy for attaining certain cards. They are btw, Discover It,NFCU Platinum Master card,CitiBank Thank You card.If I get those then I'm in the garden for a few years if not longer. Btw, you asked about my EX. The only collection fell off one week ago and is now clean of all derogs. EQ is next up.

Goal 750 Across

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.