Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU pullers

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TU pullers

@kulamrazool82 wrote:

For me discover pulled both from EQ & TU.

I understood most CUs prefer EQ and GE is TU friendly.

Amex surprised me with TU pull when I was expecting a EX pull...I pulled data from whogavemecredit.com and did research a bit to find Amex will go for EX but only to be proven wrong with a TU pull. Amex made 3 inquiries (one in each) to deny my app eventually :-(

There isn't much rhyme or reason sometimes to who a lender pulls: it's about the relationship the individual CRA's have cultivated with them since the big 3 are competing with each other for business.

The larger lenders have different categories too; for example, Amex will traditionally, almost exclusively pull EX for their charge cards; however, in cases of near or marginal applications on their revolvers, they will pull multiple including possibly all three as you found out.  

Similarly there's other qualifications: if you're applying for a second product with a major lender, if they're already softing one report, there's a non-zero chance they'll pull a second report just because they can and it will give them better resolution for you as an individual borrower.  

Others are one and only, pretty much all the time; not certain why so many CU's pull EQ except to state that many of the larger ones which we're familiar with on this forum are traditionally on the East Coast, which is EQ's old regional stomping grounds (old school: EQ east coast, TU middle America, EX west coast) though this has broken down in the modern information age.

End of the day, do what research you can, but expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when things go well.  I suspect that'd alleviate a lot of the issues we see on this forum hehe.

        
Message 11 of 14
kulamrazool82
Valued Member

Hi Revelate, Fair enough. Is there any chance with Amex to remove the past (denied) hard inquiries once we establish an account with them? I heard this from someone but it might be false. I just want to check it out...

Scores: 723 (EX CITI Pull 11/09/13), 669 (CK 11/21/13), 680 (EQ Duck Card Score 11/11/13) 664 (Walmart TU FICO Nov '13)
Duck Card - 12K | Amex BCE - 2K | Amex Costco - 1.2K | CITI TY Pref - 6.5K | Chase Freedom - 3K | DCU Visa - 5K | Genisys CU Visa - 2K | Discover More - 4.5K | Cap1 Q Silver - 1500 | Cap One Hassle Free - 1500 | Amazon Store - 1900 | Walmart Store - 800 | Kohls - 300 | Macys - 800
Message 12 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@kulamrazool82 wrote:

Hi Revelate, Fair enough. Is there any chance with Amex to remove the past (denied) hard inquiries once we establish an account with them? I heard this from someone but it might be false. I just want to check it out...

I highly doubt it.  You could try and get past HPs removed by Experian as duplicates if there were close together.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 13 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@kulamrazool82 wrote:

For me discover pulled both from EQ & TU.

I understood most CUs prefer EQ and GE is TU friendly.

Amex surprised me with TU pull when I was expecting a EX pull...I pulled data from whogavemecredit.com and did research a bit to find Amex will go for EX but only to be proven wrong with a TU pull. Amex made 3 inquiries (one in each) to deny my app eventually :-(

There isn't much rhyme or reason sometimes to who a lender pulls: it's about the relationship the individual CRA's have cultivated with them since the big 3 are competing with each other for business.

The larger lenders have different categories too; for example, Amex will traditionally, almost exclusively pull EX for their charge cards; however, in cases of near or marginal applications on their revolvers, they will pull multiple including possibly all three as you found out.  

Similarly there's other qualifications: if you're applying for a second product with a major lender, if they're already softing one report, there's a non-zero chance they'll pull a second report just because they can and it will give them better resolution for you as an individual borrower. 

Others are one and only, pretty much all the time; not certain why so many CU's pull EQ except to state that many of the larger ones which we're familiar with on this forum are traditionally on the East Coast, which is EQ's old regional stomping grounds (old school: EQ east coast, TU middle America, EX west coast) though this has broken down in the modern information age.

End of the day, do what research you can, but expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when things go well.  I suspect that'd alleviate a lot of the issues we see on this forum hehe.

+1

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.