cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU790 EQ775 EX767 w/ AU's from granddad...WWYD?

tag
here2learn

TU790 EQ775 EX767 w/ AU's from granddad...WWYD?

I've lurked here and other places on the Web for a long time and I must say this is one of the most supportive and responsive communities I've come across.  It's amazing that lives are changing for the better due to the support and encouragement given @ myfico forums.  You guys are awesome!!! In case u didn't know.. Smiley Wink  

Exploring the forums here gave me the courage to finally ask my granddad to add me as an AU. He agreed and they are now showing up on my file and have produced some really cool scores.  

The lines are Cap One 17k, Citi 11k, and Disc for 10k.  Here's where it gets a bit confusing, EX and EQ are showing Cap One 17k and Citi 11k but no Discover, However, TU is showing all three hence it has the largest score (790). I have no negatives at all and only have two inquiries within past six months.

Experian- 767 

Equifax -775

Transunion -790 

I don't plan on making any large purchases or taking out any loans for the next few years.  My goal is to apply for the max amount of cards and go for the largest limits possible.  Inquiries do not matter in the long term as I will be gardening after this binge.  I would also like to get business cc's and will PG.  I want as much avail credit as possible between personal and biz cards and using  using what I have on my file now.  I'm also eligible at all the military credit unions.  

What cards and credit unions should I go after and what kind of results can I expect with my credit history? Would multi browser apping or any other tips/tricks help me toward my goal? . I was planning on doing all of the applications on the same day within a short time frame to avoid being denied for having too many inquiries.  

WWYD if you had the same goal w/ same scenario??

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Iorek
Contributor

Re: TU790 EQ775 EX767 w/ AU's from granddad...WWYD?

First things first I would definitely work towards getting your own cards first, so that way you are building your own history in addition to piggybacking off AU. Some lenders (like Chase) don't take AU into consideration, so you'll need to build your own history as well.

Second, the cards to recommend will depend on your spending habits and goals. Do you spend a lot on groceries, or do you prefer to eat out? Do you want cash back or travel rewards? Etc etc.

Third, unfortunately the INQs are going to hit your report immediately. The best thing to do is try and apply for cards that tend to hit different reports, so the damage gets spread around. It is still a good idea to apply in batches though, so that way they fall off in batches. 

Fourth, while app sprees are great, please have a detailed plan of exactly what you want and where you spend is going to go before hitting apply. Some of the good cards have high spending requirements, so it can be very easy to bite off more than you can chew. 

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 2 of 46
here2learn

@Iorek wrote:

First things first I would definitely work towards getting your own cards first, so that way you are building your own history in addition to piggybacking off AU. Some lenders (like Chase) don't take AU into consideration, so you'll need to build your own history as well.

Second, the cards to recommend will depend on your spending habits and goals. Do you spend a lot on groceries, or do you prefer to eat out? Do you want cash back or travel rewards? Etc etc.

Third, unfortunately the INQs are going to hit your report immediately. The best thing to do is try and apply for cards that tend to hit different reports, so the damage gets spread around. It is still a good idea to apply in batches though, so that way they fall off in batches. 

Fourth, while app sprees are great, please have a detailed plan of exactly what you want and where you spend is going to go before hitting apply. Some of the good cards have high spending requirements, so it can be very easy to bite off more than you can chew. 

I primarily eat out and shop very often with my fiancee.  Im not as concerned with meeting minimum spend reqs as I can transfer everyday spending/ shopping to cards.  I really want the perks and high limits like travel rewards.

Message 3 of 46
Iorek
Contributor

@here2learn wrote:

@Iorek wrote:

I primarily eat out and shop very often with my fiancee.  Im not as concerned with meeting minimum spend reqs as I can transfer everyday spending/ shopping to cards.  I really want the perks and high limits like travel rewards.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Chase Sapphire Preferred with its miles transfer and 2x dining/travel, but from what's been said elsewhere here they do not take into account AU history. The Barclays Arrival would work too. BofA Travel Rewards also for a simpler card but with no annual fee. There are also the Amex charge cards, which the PRG would work well fro you I think, but I'm not sure if you need the high limits for utilization or not.

NFCU seems to give out high limits and low rates from what people have said here as well, if you're eligible (which it sounds like based on what you said in OP).

Is there any particular airline you prefer to travel with? If so, you might want to look into that airline's card. If you fly Delta, Amex is great about building high limits over  time. They do 3x CLIs after 61 days, and then every 6 months after. You may not get a super high limit immediately, but it would grow fast.

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 4 of 46
here2learn

Would I have better approval rates if I stuck with non -Reward cards? I have been told that cards without rewards programs attached have a better chance of getting approved given my limited cred history. 

Message 5 of 46
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

I would be really really careful if the entirety of your history is as an AU. Like others have said, some banks like Chase will ignore your AU history and you'll only waste an inquiry.
Message 6 of 46
here2learn

@wHiTeSoL wrote:
I would be really really careful if the entirety of your history is as an AU. Like others have said, some banks like Chase will ignore your AU history and you'll only waste an inquiry.

Given that my entire credit history is AU's. Are there certain cards I should definitely try my luck with that have a history of approving AU files? Are there any I should steer clear of other than Chase?  

Message 7 of 46
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Okay, Here is a list of some of my top pick cards... this is NOT the order in which I would apply though... lets pick the cards first then we can get feedback on order.

1. I would do 1 browser the whole way through... especially when applying for multiple cards with same bank!

2. I would not apply for non rewards thining it's easier to get unless you are just looking for low interest to park debt... otherwise if it's spending and building limits what's the point of not earning anything on that spending!

Personal:

Chase Freedom - Rotating 5% categories

Chase United - travel with good sign up bonus

Chase CSP - Travel and eating out

Chase Marriott - travel and bonus

Discover it - rotating 5% categories

American Express Blue Cash Preferred - grocery, dining, sign up cash!

American Express Costco - dining, travel, gas - cash!

Capital One QuickSilver

Citi AA - Travel and sign up

Bank of America 1-2-3 - sign up bonus, high limit, seem to be liked by lots

Barclay Arrival or USAir Card

Business:

American Express Cash

American Express Costco

American Express Lowes

Chase Ink

Capital One Spark - FAB 2% on everything but does report to personal credit and others I listed do not.

Citi AA Business

Bank of America

my short list... if you have access to Navy Federal though START THERE! for personal and business!

Message 8 of 46
here2learn

@Creditaddict wrote:

Okay, Here is a list of some of my top pick cards... this is NOT the order in which I would apply though... lets pick the cards first then we can get feedback on order.

1. I would do 1 browser the whole way through... especially when applying for multiple cards with same bank!

2. I would not apply for non rewards thining it's easier to get unless you are just looking for low interest to park debt... otherwise if it's spending and building limits what's the point of not earning anything on that spending!

Personal:

Chase Freedom - Rotating 5% categories

Chase United - travel with good sign up bonus

Chase CSP - Travel and eating out

Chase Marriott - travel and bonus

Discover it - rotating 5% categories

American Express Blue Cash Preferred - grocery, dining, sign up cash!

American Express Costco - dining, travel, gas - cash!

Capital One QuickSilver

Citi AA - Travel and sign up

Bank of America 1-2-3 - sign up bonus, high limit, seem to be liked by lots

Barclay Arrival or USAir Card

Business:

American Express Cash

American Express Costco

American Express Lowes

Chase Ink

Capital One Spark - FAB 2% on everything but does report to personal credit and others I listed do not.

Citi AA Business

Bank of America

my short list... if you have access to Navy Federal though START THERE! for personal and business!

Thanks for your response creditaddict!! I'll def start with NFCU.  

Now that you mention it, using as vehicles to park debt makes sense for me and would help my fiancee out a ton.

Never thought of that.  If I was to alter my app spree outlook/goals to include debt park would it that change the card recommends significantly?  Also, do the cards you specifically mentioned accept AU only files like mine? I have heard several times that Chase will outright deny AU only files.  

Given my scores and situation do you think I would get 10k+ limits.  My current limits on file are 17k 11k and 10k. My income is in the 75-80k range Does that matter on applications?   

Message 9 of 46
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. Since you are looking for rewards and you primarily dine out and shop :

1. Amex PRG and BCP (after 61 days 3x Cli )
2. Fid Amex - good 2% card
3 NFCU- Flagship Visa
4. Barclays Arrival

After they've reported for 6 mos then app:

Chase Freedom and. CSP- Chase will want your own rev credit history.

Make sure you app Barclays last.

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.