cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking a trip around the country before going back to work, and looking for the optimal 0% APR

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Taking a trip around the country before going back to work, and looking for the optimal 0% APR

I've decided to take the winter off from work, and before returning to work next Feb/March, I want to go on a road trip around the country and see some sights/states I've yet to see, before heading back to work/grind. I have the cash to cover me, but figured a rewards card + 0% APR 12+ mo. would be my better option.

Has anyone done something similar and have a recommendation similar to what they did, or perhaps you did this...did option A (w/e that may be), but now wishes instead they had chosen option B (whatever that may be).

I see Quick Silver, Amex Blue Cash, and Chase Freedom all have 0% APR options right now.

Thoughts/input?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Taking a trip around the country before going back to work, and looking for the optimal 0% APR

If you're going to travel I think getting a travel card would be a better choice especially if you plan to stay out on the road for awhile so you can get the SUB as well; problem is all the good travel cards don't have an introductory zero percent APR promo. How set are you in getting a 0% APR card?

Message 2 of 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Taking a trip around the country before going back to work, and looking for the optimal 0% APR

Not dead set on it, but if I can hold onto my cash longer, the better IMO.

Message 3 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Then I guess the next question is how much of a credit line are you looking for? Acceptance with AMEX may present an issue but AMEX has the bonus of applying for a 3X CLI at 61 days if the limit comes in a little low. I think the Discover IT (top choice), Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Freedom, Citi+ Rewards, AMEX Magnet and BCE are the top runners for you. Really depends on what cards you have at the moment

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think something like a QS, SavorOne, or Freedom variant. I would go for a Visa or MC though as if you are traveling, you don’t know if that backwoods gas station or diner will accept AMEX or Disco.
Message 5 of 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Then I guess the next question is how much of a credit line are you looking for? Acceptance with AMEX may present an issue but AMEX has the bonus of applying for a 3X CLI at 61 days if the limit comes in a little low. I think the Discover IT (top choice), Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Freedom, Citi+ Rewards, AMEX Magnet and BCE are the top runners for you. Really depends on what cards you have at the moment

I have 2 products w/ AMEX already (have been a member since 06'...and the source of how I came to find this site), and they've not declined me credit yet. I've had the Disc. IT card in the past, but will look back into it (I do like their US-Based CS). Despite having had 2 CCs from Chase...they are the only ones that have declined me (Even Barclays has never declined me) for having too many open Accts (which I have very few of).

My CC portfolio just Consists of AMEX Prime Business and Delta Blue CC, Chase Prime VISA, NFCU Visa (25k CL), and the Apple Card. A mixed bag, but I do 99.9% of my shopping via Amazon for sure.

Message 6 of 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would think something like a QS, SavorOne, or Freedom variant. I would go for a Visa or MC though as if you are traveling, you don’t know if that backwoods gas station or diner will accept AMEX or Disco.

Good point on the Amex. I've been driving a Semi-truck this past year and I do recall a couple of scenarios were Amex wasn't taken. 

Message 7 of 25
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

I've decided to take the winter off from work, and before returning to work next Feb/March, I want to go on a road trip around the country and see some sights/states I've yet to see, before heading back to work/grind. I have the cash to cover me, but figured a rewards card + 0% APR 12+ mo. would be my better option.

Has anyone done something similar and have a recommendation similar to what they did, or perhaps you did this...did option A (w/e that may be), but now wishes instead they had chosen option B (whatever that may be).

I see Quick Silver, Amex Blue Cash, and Chase Freedom all have 0% APR options right now.

Thoughts/input?

I would be wary of AMEX. While I like the CF, I would not recommend it because it does have Foriegn Transactions Fees. I would look into cards with no FTF. I can't give recommendations based on 0% APR however. I would personally choose a travel card with a large SUB as you can save a bit of money earning travel rewards. Also, a lot depends where you are traveling to as what card network/partners you would want to go yet.

Is lounge access important to you?

Is 0% APR a necessity?

Cash back?

Travel rewards?

etc.

Message 8 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Also, if you are planning on driving across country in a rental, I suggesst getting a card that has car rental insurance.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Also, if you are planning on driving across country in a rental, I suggesst getting a card that has car rental insurance.

Nope, would be in my own car (it's a lease) and I have ~7500 miles I can put on it before catching back up to where I should be w/o going over my lease agreement total mileage.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.