cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking a trip around the country before going back to work, and looking for the optimal 0% APR

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Taking a trip around the country before going back to work, and looking for the optimal 0% APR

@Repo-ed wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

While it has a $95 annual fee and doesn't have the 0% intro APR, perhaps consider the Citi Premier card?  The SUB is worth $600 cash (or $750 toward airfare in the travel portal), it earns 3x on all travel including gasoline purchases and 2x on dining and entertainment which is going to include admission fees to all of those national parks.  Points are worth 1 cent for cash and gift card redemption, or 1.25 cents toward airfare.

Great input and will look these up along w/ the Propel (sp?) cars up now.

Regardless of the avenue (CC) I go w/, should I wait until 1/1/20 to pull or now? I've not had an inquiry in 3-4 months, and have had maybe 2 in total this year.

Whenever it is you're ready should be fine. Your credit report from what you've told us is clean and as ready as you'll be

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Taking a trip around the country before going back to work, and looking for the optimal 0% APR

@FieryDance wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FieryDance wrote:

For road trips cash back cards likely work better than travel cards designed for airline partners and hotel chains.

The obvious categories you want to cover:

gas

dining

lodging

entrance fees, tours

WF Propel is a great choice.  I also recommend Citi Costco and Bank of America since both have very broad “travel” categories that include some excursions.  If you are interested in RV rental, BoA and Citi consider RV rental “travel” instead of “freight”.  

Propel is a great choice, but they tend to give skimpy initial CLs. But they offer a 0 for 12 months. Gas, dining hotels are at 3%. Those all would work great.

Is Propel offered as a Visa? Mine is Amex. Visa for backwoods gas stations. 

I would have recommended Propel, but that line might be a little snug initially. I had to pull and stretch mine over the last 18 months so that it fits me better. They'll stretch for you once they get to know you.

That is a great point because you are right Propel runs on Amex network.  In a way it has the worst of both worlds, Amex acceptance and Wells Fargo customer service.  

The line is the biggest worry for a new cardholder. But  3% on gas, dining, hotels, parking, and tolls plus a 0 for 12 months are the pluses. 

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would look into a Hotel card then, since you have no need of the typical rewards structure for travel. I don't know what your lodging style is, but some offer free night after a certain amount of stays. There's also the expedia card.

Not sure how most of those are with 0% promos though. 

Message 23 of 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would look into a Hotel card then, since you have no need of the typical rewards structure for travel. I don't know what your lodging style is, but some offer free night after a certain amount of stays. There's also the expedia card.

Not sure how most of those are with 0% promos though. 

I've been living out of my Semi-truck for the past year and have become VERY keen to "tiny" living. Anytime I sleep in a house (airbnb), or the hotel my company (the company I drive for) owns, I never get the same level of sleep as I get from my sleep number mattress/pillow my truck has. So I've decided to make a little car camper out of my hybrid for this journey and will require low/no housing during this venture.

The propel is a sharp card!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 24 of 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Snagged a Disc. IT card for their 0% and cashback match - 16k CL

Chase Freedom for their 0% APR offer - 17k CL

USAA Visa w/ unl. 1.5% cashback/no categories (no particular reason other than I have an NFCU Visa w/ $20k CL) - $21k CL

That was the order I app'd them. I found it funny that they all slightly upped the former with regards to the CL issued.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.