Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking advantage of an offer ...

tag
BullsEye10
New Contributor

Taking advantage of an offer ...

Well, I have a reunion coming up in April in South Beach.  One fof my friends is springing for a suite at The W Hotel, but around 14 of us are going to need to find alternate accomodations (or spend over $700 per night to stay at The W).

I found a Whyndham that is near The W (not on the beach but irrelevant with access at The W) that costs 15,000 points per night.  

I then found an ad for the Whyndham Rewards Card where I get 30,000 points after my first purchase (annual fee is $69.00).

My questions are as follows:

1.  Is this a decent card?

2.  Should I recommend to my friends that half of us app for the card, take the 30,000 free points and get the free weekend (2 to a room)?

3.  The annual fee is waived the first year ... if I cancel before the first year is up do I owe them anything for the points I took advantage of?

Thanks in advance

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Taking advantage of an offer ...

@BullsEye10 wrote:

Well, I have a reunion coming up in April in South Beach.  One fof my friends is springing for a suite at The W Hotel, but around 14 of us are going to need to find alternate accomodations (or spend over $700 per night to stay at The W).

I found a Whyndham that is near The W (not on the beach but irrelevant with access at The W) that costs 15,000 points per night.  

I then found an ad for the Whyndham Rewards Card where I get 30,000 points after my first purchase (annual fee is $69.00).

My questions are as follows:

1.  Is this a decent card? I don't think it matters in your case because you you are keeping it for <1 year, and you will get 30k points.

2.  Should I recommend to my friends that half of us app for the card, take the 30,000 free points and get the free weekend (2 to a room)? That's up to them but it's a good plan. You should make sure they understand credit cards so they don't ruin their credit for 2 nights of hotel stay.

3.  The annual fee is waived the first year ... if I cancel before the first year is up do I owe them anything for the points I took advantage of? No. You can cencel before 1 year is up and you won't be olbigated to return the points.

Thanks in advance

You may want to look into Priority Club by Chase. It's $49 a year, 1st year waived. And every year they give you 1 free stay which can be worth up to $500, so it pays for itself. That's what I'm apping for when the time comes.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 4
BullsEye10
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know if this is a particularly tough card to get?  I don't wnat to propose something that may not be obtainable for my friends and cause issues.

Wyndham Rewards Visa

It is a Visa Signature card, does that mean it is more difficult by definition?

Thanks

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Message 3 of 4
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@BullsEye10 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know if this is a particularly tough card to get?  I don't wnat to propose something that may not be obtainable for my friends and cause issues.

Wyndham Rewards Visa

It is a Visa Signature card, does that mean it is more difficult by definition?

Thanks

Visa Signatures are inheritanly harder to get approved for because it has a minimum of $5000 credit line. It's backed by Barclays though so if they are close, and their FICO scores and uti are in check, it shouldn't be a hard recon.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.