Tale of Low Limit Cards

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Tale of Low Limit Cards

@OroroMunroe wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

In Chronological order :

1. Cap One Platinum (02/2013) started at $500, credit steps to $2k. PC to Quicksilver. Two EO CLIs to $6k, then two SP CLI to $10k. Combined Venture into it to now $29k.

2. Discover It (04/2013) started at $750. HP CLI to $2k 11/2013. Auto CLI to $5.7k 05/2014. Since then, several SP CLIs to currently $34k.

3. US Bank REI (08/2013) started at $1k. First SP CLI to $3k 10/2014. Couple more SP CLI to $6.5k now.

4. AMEX BCE (12/2013) started at $1k. First Auto CLI to $2k 10/2014 pre-statement. 3x tried and successful immediately after statement. Couple more SP CLIs to currently $25k.

5. Chase Freedom (02/2014) started at $500. First Auto CLI to $1k 07/2014. Combined $1k Slate into it 09/2014. Moved some CL from my larger CSP CL couple of times to currently $10k.

6. Chase Slate (04/2014) started at $1k. Merged into Freedom 09/2014. I joined MyFICO after opening the Slate. Went to the garden after reading the first few suggestions. Put a freeze on my reports since then. The first time I temp lifted the freeze, I hadn't apped for 6 months (10/2014), my scores were up 60-80 points, and I apped and got the CSP and the Cash+.

7. US Bank Club Carlson (06/2015) started at $1k. One SP CLI later, at $2.5k currently. My last revolving credit card app. Only applied for the PRG since then. I got 3 cards on the same day, the Venture, 2nd Cash+, and this one. I think US Bank didn't like that I was applying for two of their cards, and probably too many inquiries across my SO and I that they could see on ARS / IDA which I didn't and haven't frozen.

There you go, my full cycle of low limit cards.

BTW, my first card ever in the USA, the UFCU card, started at $2k (not low limit) but never grew, even after taking a HP. So that's my current low limit card. Haven't closed it because of sentimental reasons, and no AF. 

Thanks for sharing! Wow! Your journey has been great thus far. I'm sure your post will give many of us hope. Best of luck on your journey! 

Most of my cards didn't start with great limits. So far, only 4 cards: the CSP, the two Cash+'s, and the Venture started at $5k + (not counting the PRG because it's a different beast). One main reason was new file (my oldest card is a little less than 4 years), followed by high utilization. But with time, better financial situation, and better budgeting, my file became better. Also, I stopped apping frequently and kept apps about 6 months apart (helped by report freezing). And the limits grew. This forum helped a lot.

I generally advise people to not get bummed about that $1k limit. A lot worse can happen in life. Also, as my previous post shows, it's time consuming, but not impossible to get out of the low limit hole. And time flies by pretty quickly.

Message 11 of 33
someg33k
Established Contributor

I'll give one example.

My first rebuilder card I got in 2011 - HSBC with a $300.00 limit

While HSBC had it I never got a CLI.

Cap1 buys that portfolio and bumps it to (drum roll please........) $500.00  

Year or so later Cap1 bumps it to $2500.00

This past December they bump it again to $5500.00

I then contacted Cap1 via Facebook and they upgrade it to a VISA Signature Quicksilver.

Finally in Jan I rolled my QS platinum into it and now that card is sitting at 10K.

Started at $300.00 and now at 10K. Not too bad...

Message 12 of 33
OroroMunroe
Contributor

@someg33k wrote:

I'll give one example.

My first rebuilder card I got in 2011 - HSBC with a $300.00 limit

While HSBC had it I never got a CLI.

Cap1 buys that portfolio and bumps it to (drum roll please........) $500.00  

Year or so later Cap1 bumps it to $2500.00

This past December they bump it again to $5500.00

I then contacted Cap1 via Facebook and they upgrade it to a VISA Signature Quicksilver.

Finally in Jan I rolled my QS platinum into it and now that card is sitting at 10K.

Started at $300.00 and now at 10K. Not too bad...

Thanks for sharing! Not bad at all! Capital One has been pretty great for rebuilders and credit newbies. Best of luck on your credit journey! 

Message 13 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a cry baby. I had two at a low limit. Discover 500 secured. And Bank Of America at 1500.00. They both wouldn't increase me after 7 months so I cancelled both of them. Told you I'm a cry baby. Majority of my cards are 8k and above. I have two cards with 3,000 limit but I can work with that.
Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Around 3 years ago my hubby and I wanted to build our dream home.  Before that we had paid for everything.  Debit card that is.  Thought it was great to have no debt.  Well, we sure got a lesson in no credit when we applied for a mortgage!  We had to open a couple of cards.  One with Cap One at 750.00 and a secured 500.00 card with BOA.  We got a few more low limit cards just to show we can charge and pay.  Merrick, Credit One, Premier were all pretty low.  When our fico scores started going up they did offer us bigger limits.  Yes, even with these cards.  As much as 3k.  But not the normal prime cards we wanted and with the larger limits.  So I decided to come on here and check things out.  Thanks to all the knowledgable ones on here, I then knew what I had to do.  

We bought a Rogue that was used just to make payments on it.  Traded that in also about 22 mos ago for a BMW with their 2.3 apr. and even though we had the funds to purchase hubby's new bike, we decided to finance it just to show that we can make those payments as well.

I slowly app'd for the prime cards once my fico scores hit 700.  That was 17 months ago.  I not only got the cards I wanted, but managed to get those awesome limits to match.  My scores are on their way up and I won't stop until they're 850 across the board.

I could have never done this without the support of everyone here.  I gained more confidence in myself and know I can do anything I set my mind too!

Woman Very Happy

Btw, hubby has higher scores than mine and quite a bit of his own credit too.  

It's a different attitude and a different life.  Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Great thread!  Smiley Happy

I've dealt with small limits numerous times over the years, and my attitude is if there is value in the card I'll use it regardless of the credit line.  Obviously more is better when it comes to credit lines (usually, anyway) but I'm not too proud too work around a small-ish limit if it will benefit me.  Smiley Wink

Currently I'm carrying two Amex cards that have a limit of $1k each.  The reason for the small limit is that I included an Amex account in a bankruptcy back in 2000.  When I've requested an increase on my BCP they always state out-right that as the reason for the denial (yep, seriously...). 

Knowing this, and knowing that it's not likely to change I don't have a problem with my BCP.  I use it for groceries (6% cash back) and simply PIF each month.  I know many folks don't even want to bother with such a tiny limit (and would quickly close it), and I don't judge them for that - different strokes for different folks and all - as long as they don't judge me... LOL.

My cards have to earn their place in my wallet... I like to say, "Make 'em pay".  Even with the tiny credit line, my BCP does pretty well... American Express pays me around $20/month for the privilege of being allowed to keep their card in my wallet.  So even with the tiny CL, I'm able to justify it. Smiley Very Happy

Note that the 'new kid' (Delta Gold) isn't paying me that much, since I have little use for SkyMiles, but that's OK - I have other plans for it.  After 13 months I plan to have as much of it's credit line as possible transferred to the BCP, and afterwards to close it out.  Since it's been destined to be a 'donor' all along I'm giving it a pass on how much it is required to pay for it's slot.  Smiley Wink

I'll also add that a couple of my oldest accounts (Lowe's and Belk) started out embarrassingly small, but have grown nicely in addition to being my oldest two trade lines at 12 and 10 years, respectively.  I say if a tiny card is serving it's purpose well, there's no point in shutting it down. 

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 33
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Great thread!  Smiley Happy

I've dealt with small limits numerous times over the years, and my attitude is if there is value in the card I'll use it regardless of the credit line.  Obviously more is better when it comes to credit lines (usually, anyway) but I'm not too proud too work around a small-ish limit if it will benefit me.  Smiley Wink

Currently I'm carrying two Amex cards that have a limit of $1k each.  The reason for the small limit is that I included an Amex account in a bankruptcy back in 2000.  When I've requested an increase on my BCP they always state out-right that as the reason for the denial (yep, seriously...). 

Knowing this, and knowing that it's not likely to change I don't have a problem with my BCP.  I use it for groceries (6% cash back) and simply PIF each month.  I know many folks don't even want to bother with such a tiny limit (and would quickly close it), and I don't judge them for that - different strokes for different folks and all - as long as they don't judge me... LOL.

My cards have to earn their place in my wallet... I like to say, "Make 'em pay".  Even with the tiny credit line, my BCP does pretty well... American Express pays me around $20/month for the privilege of being allowed to keep their card in my wallet.  So even with the tiny CL, I'm able to justify it. Smiley Very Happy

Note that the 'new kid' (Delta Gold) isn't paying me that much, since I have little use for SkyMiles, but that's OK - I have other plans for it.  After 13 months I plan to have as much of it's credit line as possible transferred to the BCP, and afterwards to close it out.  Since it's been destined to be a 'donor' all along I'm giving it a pass on how much it is required to pay for it's slot.  Smiley Wink

I'll also add that a couple of my oldest accounts (Lowe's and Belk) started out embarrassingly small, but have grown nicely in addition to being my oldest two trade lines at 12 and 10 years, respectively.  I say if a tiny card is serving it's purpose well, there's no point in shutting it down. 

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Happy

Since the top two credit lines in my wallet started at less than $1k limits, I've accepted that no limit is embarrassing to start with. 

But I get what you are saying. Most of my cards serve a purpose too. Even if that purpose is kinda intangible Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

My rebuild started around October 2014 and kind of by accident I suppose. I received a mailer from Walmart inviting me to apply. Did so and got their store card with a whopping $150 limit and have managed to get it to $10k  From that point till now I have apped for and received several other cards. But, I'm finally moving into the light a bit as 3 recent cards have all been very nice starting limits- Venture at $10k, USAA Visa signature at $13k, Penfed Visa signature at $12500.  My adivce to anyone is to just stick with it. It's easy to get dicouraged or frustrated when you read about the success of others and you are mired in the low limit cards. Set your goals, have a plan and stick to it. Use your low limit cards, pay them in full, frequently and they will build. When i started in October of 2014 my scores were about 620 for all 3. I had about 3 negatives on my record. 2 were about to age off, the third was a medical collection that I paid and got deleted. Just in that short amount of time. I've got my TU score to 741, EQ and EX both right around 700. I've gone from $150 in available credit to almost $73k in that short time span. Learn the game, how to play it, play it right and whatch your garden grow.

Message 18 of 33
The_Gazelle12
New Contributor

Awesome testimonial AP1964
Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have a low sl for Barclaycard. $750. I almost didn't accept it, but I did. Other cards are 2500-5000. Moderate limits, but better than my nfl extra from barclay. I thought of cancelling, requesting higher limit, and all that too. Ultimately, I just decided to have netflix and myfico go to it and pay in full. And of course use for any nfl type purchases. From what I've read, they like to give auto clis on 6 mos, so I'm just waiting to see what happens. I'm not in a rush to have some huge limit on it or take any hard pulls right now. So... I'm just waiting to see what they do. Heck, I opened two cards after them with $2500 and a $3000 limit. So far, no AA, but watching to see what they do. One reported the same month of their first report. The other just reported this month. Is what it is.
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.