Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tale of Low Limit Cards

tag
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tale of Low Limit Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

One of those cards (US Bank), my 2nd oldest, remains at $500.  It's a Kroger card, and since I don't have any Kroger companies nearby, it will never grow, as I have no use for it.  Why not close it, you ask?  Sentimantalism, I guess.  I tried to PC it, and US Bank just opens new cards for me whenever i ask about it.  (Go figure)

The US Bank Cash Rewards/Kroger-branded card is currently my lowest limit major credit card too at $6,500. However, I'm well aware that $6,500 isn't all that low, and that's also evidence that the card can grow, even if you aren't using it very much.

I got it several years ago - unfortunately I'm not sure exactly when beyond 'several' but within the last decade - and the starting limit was $500. I used it regularly for the first 6 or so months and requested and got a CLI to $1,500. However, I noticed that my rewards were adding up much too slowly. It turns out it's because it has a rather poor rewards structure and I hadn't done my due diligence before applying and thus thought I'd be getting more than I was.

The card gives 3 points for Kroger brand purchases, 2 points for Kroger and Kroger fuel purchases (but non-Kroger brand items. So for example Jolly Green Giant vegetables purchased at a Kroger store yields 2 pts, whereas Kroger's Fresh Selection vegetables would yield 3 pts), and 1 pt for all other purchases made anywhere else. However, the big asterisk is the redemption rate. I wrongly assumed that 1,000 points equaled $10.00 (or in other words a 1% base rewards rate), like just about all other rewards rates. However, it turns out 2,000 points equals $10.00 (or in other words a 0.5% base reward rate, and 1% for Kroger purchases, 1.5% for Kroger brand items). I was really ticked off when I realized this. On the one hand I felt like I had been 'duped' by US Bank/Kroger into believing my rewards were twice as good as they were, but on the other hand I also realized that this was totally my fault and just felt like a huge fool for not checking before I applied (and even worse for taking about 6-8 months to notice the problem once I had the card).

So after that I sock drawered the card for about a year both in protest and embarrassment. I started using my BofA Cash Rewards card which actually does yield 2% on all grocery purchases, and which incidentally also had a much higher limit. I still use the BofA card for 2% on groceries or the Chase Freedom for 5% during their grocery quarter.

Anyway I didn't close the US Bank card because it didn't have an AF and I was already in the habit of logging in weekly to monitor it anyway, and it only takes a few seconds, so I just left it alone. Eventually I started using it for small online purchases, especially when I think the site/merchant might be a little sketchy or at least have sketchy security. So basically it's my, "Hey if you want to defraud one of my cards, pick this one" card Smiley Very Happy

So the limit sat at $1,500 for years with only about 1 small purchase going through every other month. However, about 6 months ago I was browsing around the US Bank site and came across the Cash+ card, which is clearly a much more appealing rewards card. So I called them to see if I could get a PC from my basic rewards/Kroger-branded card to that one. No luck; however, rather than just tell me no and hang up, which I would have been fine with, they offered me a 2,000 points/a $10 credit as a sort of consolation prize. Even though it's not a whole lot, I thought that was really nice and it strengthened my resolve not to close the card.

Since then I've done more research and realized that I probably needed a $5,000+ limit on the card (and it had still been at the $1,500) since the Cash+ is a Visa Sig card. So a month or so ago I requested and got a CLI of $5,000, bringing my total limit to $6,500. I plan to call and try again for a PC to the Cash+ in the next month or so. If it works I'll find legitimate value in the Cash+ and actually add the card back into my regular rotation for the first time in years.

Anyway, I know that's a long story, but apart from my $1,000 limit Target Red Card store card the US Bank card is my lowest limit, and it also happens to have the most colorful story. All my other card stories are basically, "I had a good/decent starting limit and got it raised over the years." The Target Red Card I don't even really 'count' since it's a store card rather than a major card. However, for years and to this day it's by far a preferable card to me than the US Bank Kroger card. It actually gives me 5% off every purchase at Target (where I shop 2 or 3 times a month), whereas the Kroger card would only earn 1% at Kroger (1.5% sometimes if a buy their generic brand). So the Red Card has more than earned its keep all these years, whereas the Kroger card has more or less been perpetually sock drawered dead weight.

Anyway, all that aside, Ozman, if you do plan to hang on to the card regardless, you may be able to get a CLI even if you aren't really using it (I wasn't and still got one), and you may eventually be able to PC it into something like the Cash+ that would have real value.

Message 31 of 33
acciofirebolt
Contributor

My lowest limit card right now is my BOA MLB Cash Rewards card which is at $800, I got that card exactly a year ago. I do carry a balance on that card but my 0% APR doesn't end until September 2016. I recently got a Amex BCE and Chase Freedom and both of them have a SL of $1000 right now.

I got my first card in 2011 (Wells Fargo Platnium Card) and I started at $1000 and it increased to $7500 via auto CLIs (I think it went form $1000 -> $3000 -> $5000 -> 7500).

Message 32 of 33
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

My Amex Delta Gold @ $1K. Thought it would come in handy when I travel but it hasn't. I've traveled since I got it. Will close it before a year hit to avoid the AF. Got it in March on this year. I can ask for #X CLI but why? I'll just move (limit) what I can to another Amex card and keep it moving.
TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.