cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talked with Cap One about Credit Steps...

tag
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

Talked with Cap One about Credit Steps...

So i decided to chat with Cap One to see if I am in their Credit Steps program since i am rebuilding i was sure that I am. My opening CL is $300.00 I asked what it will be after I complete the program and he told me it will be $500.00. How soon after I  complete the program and go from 300 to 500 should i asked for a higher limit? Should i do an immediate recon?

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Talked with Cap One about Credit Steps...

You cannot reco a CapOne SL. But, you can request a CLI after the 3rd statement cuts.. a LOT of people are successful

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 15
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

You cannot reco a CapOne SL. But, you can request a CLI after the 3rd statement cuts.. a LOT of people are successful

I can do that even being in this  program?

Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. 

Message 4 of 15
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Yes. 

Awesome I didn't know that. Thank You

Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently the cli before credit steps haven't been overly generous. I've seen $100 to $300. I would definitely take what the offer because after credit steps, you have to wait 6 months before another cli. 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in credit steps and requested a CLI after my third statement. Only got a $100 CLI (bringing me up to 600).
Message 7 of 15
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Cheryla18 wrote:

So i decided to chat with Cap One to see if I am in their Credit Steps program since i am rebuilding i was sure that I am. My opening CL is $300.00 I asked what it will be after I complete the program and he told me it will be $500.00. How soon after I  complete the program and go from 300 to 500 should i asked for a higher limit? Should i do an immediate recon?

You are able to request a CLI after the 3rd statement or at your 3 month aniversary, which ever is later. So a lot of folks put heavy usage on the card  for the first 3 months then request a CLI. If your approved for a CLI, you still get the credit steps increase.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You want to bang the luv button for CLI
Generally 3 cycles is needed (I suspect, prior to that the SP used would be the same, used to give the SL)

Either way bang the button, you can get a CLI anytime BEFORE the steps CLI takes place (the steps CLI values generally seem to be set as either $500 or $1000 auto increments.... Whereas the luv button CLI 'could' be anything higher or lower)

As mentioned once the auto steps CLI hits...That's it 6 month timeout...

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a $2,500 credit steps increase. $500 increased to $3,000. I tried luv button every month since 3rd statement to get a CLI before the steps increase and they kept offering $100 so I declined every time. Glad I waited. Good luck OP.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.