Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tar-jay RedCard question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tar-jay RedCard question?

So, do I get this right? If you go and pay with a credit card on a purchase of $50 or more, you might get pre-approved for a RedCard?

We shop there ALL the time. And I would love one of their cards (apped a while back, got denied, but never seemed to get an inquiry for it -- never sent me the "So sorry" letter either).

What, other than spending a hundred bucks or so, is their criteria in offering the card at checkout??

Anyone know?? Thank you SO much in advance!! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

Re: Tar-jay RedCard question?

I was in the same boat as you.  Never getting that pre-approval until one day I had to go purchase some items for work and used my company credit card, and POOF there it was!  I was approved for that GREAT $200.00!!  Since then every single time I use the "company card" I get this approval.  I have always thought it has something to do with the card having a limit of $75,000 on it, because other than that I don't know what is different.
CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 2 of 13
Bella1980
Established Contributor

I don't think that using a cc is always the way to get a card so don't go and buy stuff there just in hopes of that, lol. I have spent hundreds of dollars there and never once got a pre-approval on the receipt. I do however have the card now after applying on the website.

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have heard that the preapproval sometimes comes when you use a debit card at the register.  Robertkinder's experience is the first time I've heard of it being offered when the customer used a credit card.

Message 4 of 13
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

That was my experience: I received my preapproval receipt when I used my debit card, I believe. And I just figured it was because I shop there quite often, up to 2 or 3 times a week.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So, do I get this right? If you go and pay with a credit card on a purchase of $50 or more, you might get pre-approved for a RedCard?

We shop there ALL the time. And I would love one of their cards (apped a while back, got denied, but never seemed to get an inquiry for it -- never sent me the "So sorry" letter either).

What, other than spending a hundred bucks or so, is their criteria in offering the card at checkout??

Anyone know?? Thank you SO much in advance!! Smiley Happy

Do you have a crown jewlers card and another trade line? I got denied before and since I have had my CJ card and my visa I got approved....my scores are lower than yours and I have a BK discharged in November. My tradelines are only since about April. My credit limit is only $200 but I am happy with the opportunity to prove myself credit worthy.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I just left Target.  Went to buy a few household items and while standing at the register I said what the heck, I'm going to apply for a RedCard because I do not have any store cards and I need at least one to add to my credit mix (per the forum).  I got out of line, went to customer service and asked to apply.  After going through the electronic app process, the cashier said she received a message that said to try back in 3 mins...hmmmm...weird so I walked away and went shopping.  Five minutes later, the cashier is paging me over the intercom to come pick up my party---lol.  Ok, I get to the counter and she says great news you were approved for a Visa and your limit is $600, yada, yada, yada....

What a day!  All I wanted (need) is a STORE card and you all know if I had applied for their Visa they would have said NO....oh well...now I'll shop at Target more frequently.  I still need a store card.
Message 7 of 13
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

The only benefit I can see from applying in person at Target vs. online is you will avoid the potential of "proving" your identity to them...which can get very personal and move beyond what info's on your credit report.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. I have heard that the best way to apply for either card is at the store.
Message 9 of 13
NikJ4
Established Contributor

All I know is I bought a $8 dollar shirt with a debit card and kaboom....I got it. I thought it was a survey and almost threw it away. I called the # on it at 12am to avoid embarrassment when I realized what it was. She told me to go to the store and take my DL and I had a card waiting for me. I went at 8am so I would not get my feeling hurt too bad. The store was more excited than me because i was the first to have it from their store. I got my card last year in 2007.
good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Message Edited by NikJ4 on 07-23-2008 10:21 PM
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.