Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target CL Decrease dropped TU 2 pts

tag
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Target CL Decrease dropped TU 2 pts

I really hate how this all unfolded because Target has been one of my fav companies for online shopping.

Keep in mind I have never missed a pmt and have always paid off every month except one large item I made 3 pmts.  NOTHING changed on my scores, no baddies added, etc.  I've only had the card ($900 SL) about a year so it's better for me to close it now while my score's already taken a ding from Target.

Ok, so here's what happen: I used the card last July and my last pmt was August 2021.

My DIL and I go to Target (next town over) and I had about $150 in clothes for the grandkids but when I got to the register I couldn't use my card because it kept asking for a pin (I SWEAR I do not remember setting one up but I've never used it in the actual store either).  So I gave up and used a debit card.

A couple days ago I get a survery from Target wanting to know about my shopping experience that day (So I KNOW they are aware I was trying to use my card) and I did the survey and that everything at the store was nice except I wasn't able to use my store card because I don't remember having a pin.

Today I get a MyFico notification that my Target Card CL had decreased by $400 and my TU score had dropped 2 pts..  so I called (now that I have these new bionic hearing aids) and the CS checked and she said that the CLD was due to inactivity on the card. Smiley Frustrated 

Me: I would like to just cancel the card then, and close my Target account please.

CS: We can send you another pin

Me: No thanks, I'm crushed that Target did this to me

CS: Well it's states in the disclosure when you opened your account that Target reserves the right to decrease your CL or close the account for inactivity.

Me:  I tried to use the card.  Target KNOWS I tried to use the card. They KNOW which store I was in, and what day I was there because they sent me a survey about that visit.  You know how Target knows I was there? Because I TRIED to USE my Target card.. I swiped my Target Card at the terminal in that store....  So, I was embarassed about not being able to use my Target card because of some pin, I was inconvenienced because I had to use cash for something I was doing to keep my Target card active, and now I'm being punished  on top of it all, both by a CLD and 2 pt drop to my score.  Now anyone looking at my score will wonder what I did to make Target cut my CL almost in half. 

So she said she understood and processed my request to close the account... 

because, God forbid I unknowingly do something else quirky and end up with "account closed by Grantor" on my credit report.

Posting this just in case any of you need to go through your sock drawer today.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Target CL Decrease dropped TU 2 pts

Well.......   the inactivity  could well have been set in motion by you not using it since Jul 2021, and might have happened even if you were successful in using it this time.   It's not as if they closed it, just decided to CLD.   

And closed by credit granter really has no impact on anything, certainly not on score and on manual review, one or two isolated incidents aren't going to cause an issue.   So I would have asked myself, "Is this card still sometimes useful?" before closing.   Given that you haven't been using it, the answer might be "No!"

Message 2 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Sorry to hear about the CLD, but that can certainly be a long time to go without using a card.  Some lenders are more sensitive than others when it comes to inactivity but at least they didn't close the card which some other lenders may have done without notice.  (It's quite possible that using the card rather than closing it may have triggered a credit line increase, but always questionable with TD Bank.)  And definitely agree there's not really an issue with "closed by credit grantor."  That doesn't even necessarily imply that the cardholder did anything wrong (even with a very loose definition of "wrong" when it comes to simply not using the card); there are times when a lender simply stops servicing a card and closes all accounts en masse.

Message 3 of 11
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Thank you both for the feedback.  I've always believed that closed by consumer was a better option than closed by grantor, but when all is said and done, I really don't use the card and am contemplating dropping Kohls too.. however I will purchase something and see if it triggers anything and if not, will close it after paying the statement.  It was one of the first cards I got after discharge and it's $300 SL hasn't budged, but it has also been in the sock drawer.

Message 4 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Have you requested a credit line increase on the Kohl's card?  It can be done quickly and easily on the card management page without a hard inquiry.  That card is commonly issued at $300 with increases typically (not always) following a 700-1500-2500-3000 pattern with 3-6 months between requests.

Message 5 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@2b2rich wrote:

I really hate how this all unfolded because Target has been one of my fav companies for online shopping.

Keep in mind I have never missed a pmt and have always paid off every month except one large item I made 3 pmts.  NOTHING changed on my scores, no baddies added, etc.  I've only had the card ($900 SL) about a year so it's better for me to close it now while my score's already taken a ding from Target.

Ok, so here's what happen: I used the card last July and my last pmt was August 2021.

My DIL and I go to Target (next town over) and I had about $150 in clothes for the grandkids but when I got to the register I couldn't use my card because it kept asking for a pin (I SWEAR I do not remember setting one up but I've never used it in the actual store either).  So I gave up and used a debit card.

A couple days ago I get a survery from Target wanting to know about my shopping experience that day (So I KNOW they are aware I was trying to use my card) and I did the survey and that everything at the store was nice except I wasn't able to use my store card because I don't remember having a pin.

Today I get a MyFico notification that my Target Card CL had decreased by $400 and my TU score had dropped 2 pts..  so I called (now that I have these new bionic hearing aids) and the CS checked and she said that the CLD was due to inactivity on the card. Smiley Frustrated 

Me: I would like to just cancel the card then, and close my Target account please.

CS: Well it's states in the disclosure when you opened your account that Target reserves the right to decrease your CL or close the account for inactivity.

Me:  I tried to use the card.  Target KNOWS I tried to use the card. They KNOW which store I was in, and what day I was there because they sent me a survey about that visit.  You know how Target knows I was there? Because I TRIED to USE my Target card.. I swiped my Target Card at the terminal in that store....  So, I was embarassed about not being able to use my Target card because of some pin, I was inconvenienced because I had to use cash for something I was doing to keep my Target card active, and now I'm being punished  on top of it all, both by a CLD and 2 pt drop to my score.  Now anyone looking at my score will wonder what I did to make Target cut my CL almost in half. 

because, God forbid I unknowingly do something else quirky and end up with "account closed by Grantor" on my credit report.

I'm not sure,  but I haven't read alot of   Target cld for non use  , even if it's been 6-9 months . It's possible of course, why it's recommended to use any card every couple m9nhs to be safe,but I'm wondering on top of little to no usage, the fact that you have a recent bk played a bigger reason in their algorithms? Just don't rush to close out of anger where after a week or 2 having calmed down you might reconsider having that trade line 😉.  Happens to best of us. 

Message 6 of 11
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

I'm not sure,  but I haven't read alot of   Target cld for non use  , even if it's been 6-9 months . It's possible of course, why it's recommended to use any card every couple m9nhs to be safe,but I'm wondering on top of little to no usage, the fact that you have a recent bk played a bigger reason in their algorithms? Just don't rush to close out of anger where after a week or 2 having calmed down you might reconsider having that trade line 😉.  Happens to best of us. 

I'm pretty sure that's not it.  My BK had been discharged about a year when I applied for the card and recieved an IA with a $900 SL.  The lady on the phone checked for me to find out the reason and she said it was clearly because of inactivity.  I'm also not mad at all : )  As I stated above, I have been considering dropping a store card anyway.  I mean,  the 2pt drop spooked me but I know it will pick back up.

Message 7 of 11
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Have you requested a credit line increase on the Kohl's card?  It can be done quickly and easily on the card management page without a hard inquiry.  That card is commonly issued at $300 with increases typically (not always) following a 700-1500-2500-3000 pattern with 3-6 months between requests.

I will try that and let you know!  Thank you for the suggestion because I had no idea Kohls would take it that high!

Message 8 of 11
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

You are absolutely right on the kohls card, i opened mine in oct/2020 with a sl of 300.

So far ive gone from 300 to 1500. I plan to ask strategically for the next step at december when they might have gift giving season tip their hand.

So far my 2 cli's were sp's about 6 - 8 months apart.

i use the card regularly for small to moderate spend only for things i need.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 11
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@2b2rich wrote:

I have my red card since oct/2020 and have always been asked for a pin at the checkout.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.