cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Credit Card CLI and MC upgrade???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target Credit Card CLI and MC upgrade???

Hi. I was approved for the Target RedCard in Oct 2017 with a $300 credit limit. I have not been late in my payments and always pay in full. This strategy has worked for every other card I have. Does anyone know how to A) increase my CLI with the in-store card, and B) get upgraded to the Target Mastercard? I already do the monthly income update, so any other advice would be much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target Credit Card CLI and MC upgrade???

Unfortunately that is the only way known right now, is to manually update CLI every once in a while.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems as though this a recurring theme in Target threads. Probably the stingiest co-branded card on the market it seems. Smiley Happy Yet and still everyone loves them and lusts for the App.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your journey is similar to mine. I ended up SD mine, and about 1-2 months later I was PCd and given CLI. However, I never updated my income.
Message 4 of 10
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Mine's in the SD too and is my lowest limit. I've used it once and PIF the next week. Hopefully they up the limit, not worried about the MC version personally.
BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Conventional wisdom says if you dont use a card dont expect a cliSmiley Wink.
Message 6 of 10
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems as though this a recurring theme in Target threads. Probably the stingiest co-branded card on the market it seems. Smiley Happy Yet and still everyone loves them and lusts for the App.

I don't believe this is accurate.   You may be experiencing confirmation bias.

There are plenty of evidentiary threads explaining regular 4 month then 3 month CLIs on the RedCard.  I would certainly not say lack of  CLIs are an out of proportion number for the RedCard.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Umm, I'm still somewhat new to credit lingo. What does SD and being PCd mean?
Message 8 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Sock Drawer and Product Change.

There is no rhyme or reason for CLIs on the Target store and credit cards.  I opened mine in 2002 and never got a CLI until 2016, but since then they have happened every single June and December.  As a general rule, allowing the statement to post with a balance (paying it to $0 prior to the statement generating may appear to their algorithms to be zero use) as often as possible, paying the statement balance in full prior to the due date, and updating your income regularly even if there has been no change seems to be a combination that works for many.  As for the upgrade to a credit card from a store card, people usually see that after their profiles have improved and it can take some time.  I believe mine was changed to a Visa in 2005 (and years later to a MasterCard), but my particular datapoint is a few banks ago on this card.

Message 9 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I stopped using mine for 3 months and started paying the minimum payment. They gave me an increase every 3 months after that.unfortunately, the train broke down this quarter right before the big money.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.