cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Mastercard PIN Required Outside of Target?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Target Mastercard More Risky than Redcard?

I guess technically because it is a "regular" Mastercard, it could (who knows if it really is) be more susceptible to fraud vs a store only card. But at the same time, does it really matter? You aren't liable for it - worst case scenario, card gets cancelled, new one issued. Not really a big deal, just a minor hassle.

Whether you get the upgrade or not, unless one has very few decent cards, the Mastercard really does not offer compelling perks outside of Target. It's just a 1-2% rate loaded to a Target GC, so just a more restrictive cash back card and I believe you only get the gift card once a year. Nothing to write home about; I'd still only use it at Target regardless.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could it be more susceptive to fraud? Sure. But it’s not anything I’d even think about because you wouldn’t be liable for it
Message 12 of 15
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

There is a chance with fraud with any credit card. I had fraud with my Target store card years ago, someone charged stuff in a CA Target store while I live on the east coast.  

I took the upgrade becuase it's a Mastercard and I got a CLI to $6000. It was rebuld goal for me. I burned then for about $5k when I declared bankruptcy. 

I do use it every so often outside Target, but it gets used once a week at Target.

I do like Target MC customer service. There is never a wait.

Guyatthebeach

Message 13 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous,

I have merged the other thread that you started on this similar topic into this one.  Please do not cross-post or start multiple threads on basically the same subject.  It is confusing to other members trying to assist you and is against forum rules.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. 

-FS 

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

OP, What is your limit? If you have had it since 2010 it should be pretty up there by now?

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.