cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Mastercard Upgrade New Question !!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target Mastercard Upgrade New Question !!!

Hi.

I don't want to beat a 'dead horse,' but I have a question.

I have been doing a lot of heavy charging on my Red card, in hopes of getting the upgrade to MC.

The CSR told me that they only review ccounts in January and February for upgrades, so I would have to wait until next year.

I seem to remember seeing people getting letters for upgrade all times of the year.

Is it true that they only look at accounts in January and February?

You might wonder why I want the upgrade so badly, since I would only use the card (Red Card or Mastercard) in the Target stores. I have Citi DC outside of the store.

As many of you will understand, I want it because it (the upgrade) is available (to some) and I don't have it.

'Nuf said.

Stay healthy.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Target Mastercard Upgrade New Question !!!

Outside of a crystal ball I don't think anyone knows what, when, or how Target Mastercard upgrades occur. They just do. I don't know that usage will help. I know I've seen upgrades with people who barely used the card. I've seen upgrades happen in months other than Jan/Feb but who knows, maybe that's a newer policy. 

Message 2 of 9
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

I was told they upgrade people by random review in batches of 200,000 accounts at a time. Idk how many accounts they have but I don't think the MasterCard is a cash rewards card so I don't care if I get it or not. My credit isn't great but my daily cards are BECU 1.5% Cash Rewards and QS VISA. Neither limit is high but I don't use cards that don't give any rewards unless it's for something very small to keep it open. 
I suppose the only benefit would be to be able to make a cash payment in the store but that's not worth losing out in rewards. 

Message 3 of 9
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Pre-COVID, I recall upgrades occurring at least twice a year: May/June notifications with new cards delivered in August and a second cycle at the end of the year.

YMMV. Target is similar to Discover--their credit logic is always 3 steps ahead of MFF.

Good luck.
~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 4 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Johnny50,

To be honest, I think Target and TD Bank love messing with people's minds over the Mastercard upgrade. I think they are reviewing accounts in other months too, I got my notice in June and the card arrived in late August. I remember that my FICO scores at the time were ranging from 725 to 740.  

I also remember reading someone on myfico got their upgrade letter in October last year.

Guyatthebeach

Message 5 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@TattnallTrio wrote:

I was told they upgrade people by random review in batches of 200,000 accounts at a time. Idk how many accounts they have but I don't think the MasterCard is a cash rewards card so I don't care if I get it or not. My credit isn't great but my daily cards are BECU 1.5% Cash Rewards and QS VISA. Neither limit is high but I don't use cards that don't give any rewards unless it's for something very small to keep it open. 
I suppose the only benefit would be to be able to make a cash payment in the store but that's not worth losing out in rewards. 

Using it in target is an instant 5% discount. That's over triple the return of your two cards and instant statement credit. People get focused on things like cashback and points and overlook the benefits of specialized cards like instant statement credit, coupons, and extended 0% finance. 

Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I want the JCPenny MC because its a unicorn but im not going to bend over backwards for it. Tried spend heavy and nothing , upgrades that are offered just come in time on their own. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want it just because eventually I don't want to have any store cards. 🤷‍♂️ 

Message 8 of 9
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I want it just because eventually I don't want to have any store cards. 🤷‍♂️ 

+1

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.