cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Red Card CLI Factors: Confidential and Can't Disclose?

tag
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Re: Target Red Card CLI Factors: Confidential and Can't Disclose?

You can sign up for the debit card version and still get the 5% off though. Frankly, I think it would save you a lot of the rigmarole.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 11 of 27
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

@sengpatt wrote:
You can sign up for the debit card version and still get the 5% off though. Frankly, I think it would save you a lot of the rigmarole.

I agree. I canceled my red card. Never time im in the store, I'll be getting the debt card version.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 12 of 27
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

TD Bank does manage Target's card portfolio now...
Eh. I still say no to a $300 limit. 5% discount was nice, but losing points on my fico for letting a $200 bal report not so much.
Credit is supposed to be a convenience to me, not the lender. As a borrower, that is how I view it. Clearly, Target has found other customers ;-)
I can't deal with low limits; it's too stressful to have to worry about util as it is.
I'd rather shop at Kroger/Whole Foods w my BCE and get 3% cash back or Wmt with Wmt Discover and pif.
I'm simply not a fan of being a victim of a faulty business model...
-banks that issue low lines to ensure high profitability lol.
I don't even like Target all that much honestly lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 27
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

1. If you buy infant formula, target is hands down the cheapest source right now. They also have a great return policy (which can be helpful while trying to determine the source of a feeding intolerance). Point being that as you get older/life changes, you may find value in shopping at target, even if you don't now.

2. Does anyone routinely spend more than $300 a trip at target? Since rewards cards are most valuable when you don't carry a balance, why not just pay it off each time you shop?

3. That being said, I think the debit option is better: no inquiry, no hassles with limits, same rewards, no need to pay an extra bill monthly, doesn't factor into utilization at all.

4. Chase UR mall currently 2 extra points/dollar, so you could always use CSP, where 3 pts should be worth close to 5 cents.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 14 of 27
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
TD Bank does manage Target's card portfolio now...
Eh. I still say no to a $300 limit. 5% discount was nice, but losing points on my fico for letting a $200 bal report not so much.
Credit is supposed to be a convenience to me, not the lender. As a borrower, that is how I view it. Clearly, Target has found other customers ;-)
I can't deal with low limits; it's too stressful to have to worry about util as it is.
I'd rather shop at Kroger/Whole Foods w my BCE and get 3% cash back or Wmt with Wmt Discover and pif.
I'm simply not a fan of being a victim of a faulty business model...
-banks that issue low lines to ensure high profitability lol.
I don't even like Target all that much honestly lol

So you don't like to shop at Target and you are obsessed with utilization.   Good reasons for you to not have the card. 

Maybe not good reasons for OP to close the card.

Message 15 of 27
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

I'm going to wait until the Holidays...if no CLI appears, I will be closing it in January before I apply for the CS/CSP and the Amex BCE/BCP.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 16 of 27
cyd
New Visitor
New Visitor

I regularly shop at Target.  I always pay more than the minimum, and within the past two years there was a 4-6 month stretch during which I was paying twice (accidental double payment).  Recently I paid in full in the middle of the month in addition to the payment I made at the beginning of the month.  I've been working hard on my credit and it's gone up 11 points.

Have never gotten a credit increase.

Message 17 of 27
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

If you shop there regularly, might be worth waiting a while to close, for TD Bank policies to surface.
Message 18 of 27
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Called in to the CSR phone number to see if they will CLI my acc since they are now officially under TD bank and...

NOTHING

same old, auto review bull crap...

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 19 of 27
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I went from $200 to $1,000 after a more than 7 years of nothing, and then, more recently, to $1300.

Target is my PIF, I need diapers, gotta pick up shampoo and TP, and would like a latte on the side, please, card (ours has a Starbucks).  I set it up to auto pay in full and within 12 months I got the increase.  Not sure if there is a correlation, but that was my experience. Probably coincidence based on anecdotals from here.

Kohls hasn't CLIed me either, but I like their coupon sales, and I don't run up a large enough balance on them to justify risking a HP.

I will concede that Target Red is not a good builder card at all and doesn't really grow with you the way others do.  But it serves the purpose I need it to, and I do like the 5%.  Have learned what to buy there vs Publix to save the most moohlah.  Smiley Wink

Point being, as always, if you need it, if it works fo ryou, then it's a good card to have.  If not, or it tempts you too much, or drains you in some way, there are card out there for most folks and most spending habits.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.