Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Red Card

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

Target Red Card

I was considering applying for a Target Red Card in the next few months, what are their standards for approval? Any recent experiences? And why in the world are they not set up to accept apps online- only in store or snail mail?? I'm in the process of building up/cleaning up my credit and I don't think my ego could take an in store decline so I prefer to do all my apps from home Smiley Very Happy

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Red Card

For your best chance of approval, make sure your UTIL is 15% of less than apply.

Message 2 of 7
chan85
Established Contributor

Ok great, I figured they would want it low so that's why I am holding off so I can pay off some balances. What about baddies?? And inqs??

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 3 of 7
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

If your baddie is older than 2yrs and last IQ was 6 months ago, your in good shape. If you have 4-5 IQ within the L6 months, you are borderline. Find out what CR Target pull for your area. For example, if your TU report is cleaner than your EQ report, and Target pulls EQ, I might be reluctant to app for Target. Barclays pull TU and I would app for a visa from Barclays instead (as an example). Just give yourseld the best chance of approval base on your UTIL % (get it to 15% or less), which CR is cleaner when you apping (EQ, EX, TU). Good luck.

Message 4 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

We just applied for the Red Card last month.  Well, my fiancee did.  I don't know her FICOs, haven't pulled them in a while.  She has a similar story to me.  Lots of late payments about 2.5 years ago.  She also has one paid collection.  But nothing negative in the last 2.5 years.  She was approved for $2K at the store.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved with a chpt 7 on record, it was 5 years old at the time of app, had 2 other cards in good standing, no other kinds of baddies.

Message 6 of 7
chan85
Established Contributor

Great help!! thanks for the advice!!

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.