cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to get Target store card converted?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does it take to get Target store card converted?

Well, I have had my Redcard since 2010 and still, no upgrade.

I have a real "thang" about this, since I have always gotten every card I want, and this card, although I probably will never use it outside of Target, is something I want because they are not giving it to me !! I am sure that many of you can appreciate this, especially on this website. 

I use the card moderately, but I have been using it more (online) since the "Pandemic."

Target is not that generous with limits, either. I started in 2010 with a $2000 SL (me and the wife). In 2014, they raised it to $2800, and today, 6 years later, I still have that limit.

I spend maybe $40 monthly at Target, Some months I have gone $200 (for books since the library is closed), but usually not. I also update my income monthly, as recommended.

The website says that they check every month for credit line increases (and I presume that these "checks" could lead to an upgrade), but I doubt it. CSR told me that next selections of accounts for upgrades will be in January and February of next year, but who knows?

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Re: How long does it take to get Target store card converted?

I noticed other posters who had the card prior to the TD Bank acquisition, and for some reason was not selected for the CLI and upgrade at that time, complain about the slow growth of the card. On the otherhand, those that acquired their card under TD Bank seems to get the CLI and upgrade within 18 months even with moderate usage. Target/TD Bank, like Discover, can be hard to figure out.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 2 of 95
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: How long does it take to get Target store card converted?

Something I have noticed is TD Bank/Target can be very perticular on CLI's. Some people get them like clockwork, but get nothing for years.

I haven't had a CLI since  my card converted to the MC. I'm not complaing about because $6k on this card is fine with me since I PIF monthly.

I just can't figure out their logic on CLI's.

Guyatthebeach

Message 3 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target Redcard One more Thing

Hi.

I know that there has been a lot of posts about the Target Redcard upgrade to Mastercard. I just wanted to ask one more question.

I have had the Redcard since 2010.  The card was, until this year, very sparsely used, Like maybe $40 every 3-4 months, mainly when my wife needs hair products like coloring, etc.

Now, since July of last year, I have been buying stuff online and in store every month, in hopes of getting the upgrade. Again, not huge amounts, but sometimes maybe $200 for a rug shampoo, etc. I have been showing more 'luv, in credit card parlance.

I was thinking that if I do not get the upgrade the next time they do upgrades (Jauary and February?), I would just stop using the card and SD it, except for wife's stuff.

I guess that I am a little p***ed. Also, I have not received a credit line increase since 2014 ($2000 limit went to $2800). 

I know that emotions and credit cards should not be mixed, but I want to know if anyone else would be p***ed in this scenario and would SD the card as a result. I know that normal people (i.e., don't care about credit cards) would not have these feelings about a credit card, but I (like many of you on this board) are not 'normal', as respects credit cards, or you would not be on this board. Target is a nice fun place, but it's not like we (i.e., wife and me) need to go there.

Have a nice, safe, blissful day !!Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target Redcard One more Thing

Why is the Mastercard version so coveted?  Especially if you hardly ever shop there. The MC version's rewards are nothing to write home about when compared to the store version. The main reason to have any version of the Target CC is to get the 5% discount. 

And as far as credit limits, do you spend more than $2800 at Target per trip/month?  Not too many people would. While some like huge limits to stroke the ego, they serve little purpose to the lender - especially on a store card. 

Message 5 of 95
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

with the Target Redcard, nothing is a guarantee. I closed a Capitol One card,

for several reasons, with one being, I am not putting a ton of spend to try to get $100 CLI.

Message 6 of 95
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I personally don't care if I get an upgrade. I got a redcard for the instant 5% back. My limit is more than I'll ever use there and I don't care about bonus points on gas. That's what Discover and my More Rewards is for.

Message 7 of 95
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I don't even shop at Target.

Message 8 of 95
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I generally agree with the above.  What would really change if you got the MC version or even just a CLI?   "Luv" back from an institution doesn't really mean anything.

OTOH, if the 5% discount isn't that useful, SDing the card won't cost you much.   But Target/issuer really won't care, so just make sure you are not spiting yourself to unsuccessfully make a point!

Message 9 of 95
creditfan
Established Contributor

I guess perhap OP cares more toward chip & pin ability

Message 10 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.