Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Store Credit Card?

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Target Store Credit Card?

Thinking about applying for a Target Store credti card since I just moved very close to one and they offer 5% off your purchases whenever you use the card, seems pretty good. Are they hard to get or basically anyone can get it?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Store Credit Card?

Hmm, I saw that they offer a Target Debit Card to that's linked to your checking account, and you still get the 5% off? That actually seems better to me than the Credit Card.

http://www.target.com/redcard/application#debit-card

Message 2 of 7
Contributor

I have the debit card - very useful. I can't comment on the credit card version, but I don't see a big advantage.

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

They are notorious for only giving out toy limits on their credit card, like $200~ so if you plan to purchase more expensive items it may not help.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 7
goosedog
Regular Contributor

Like the previous poster said, no point in getting the target card. their low liits of 2-300$ makes no sense and trying to get a credit limit increase is almost like signing a contract with the grim reaper. You are better off with the debit card, you get the same advantages of 5% back and dont have to worry about the interest rate cause the money comes out of your checking account

Message 5 of 7
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I have the Target card with a decent CL of $7500 but I have had the card for 9 years. I prefer the CC because it helps with cash flow because you don't have to pay your bill till a month later. As with a debit card, when you swipe the card, you lose the funds out of your account then and there. If you have an interest bearing account then this can add up.

Message 6 of 7
Simply827
Established Contributor

Just get the Target debit card, you get the same benefits as the credit card (5% off, free shipping, extra 30 days for returns). The credit card will likely give you a laughable starting limit and stay there forever.

I have both and I use the Debit Card 98% of the time.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.