cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target or Walmart: Which one should I use??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target or Walmart: Which one should I use??

lisac wrote:
He's a lot more informed about credit than i ever was.

Keep him that way.

Message 11 of 28
Bella1980
Established Contributor

I just remembered that my friend has a target card. He got it in 2004 with a $200 CL.....he got CLI's upto $800 and last year, 2007, he got upgraded to the Visa with a CL of $1000. He has scores ranging from 690-720.

I guess the name of the game with Target is how long are you willing to wait.

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 28
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a Walmart card, but I'll add to the Target madness.

I opened a red card in May 2002 w/ a 200 limit.

In August 2004 they bumped it to a Visa w/ a 1k limit.  It pretty much stayed between 80-90% util every month until Dec 2007.

In Feb 08 they auto-cli'd me from 1k to 5k -- after the card sat empty for 2 months.

I have no idea what they want.  Really.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 13 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would use the target once and then sock drawer it, if they are going to convert they seem to do it with or without use, however walmart I think wants to see you using most of your cli continuously... and walmart can eventually upgrade to discover!!
Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bella1980 wrote:
I just remembered that my friend has a target card. He got it in 2004 with a $200 CL.....he got CLI's upto $800 and last year, 2007, he got upgraded to the Visa with a CL of $1000. He has scores ranging from 690-720.

I guess the name of the game with Target is how long are you willing to wait.

I'll wait forever. Smiley Very Happy  It doesn't cost me a dime and it's aging as I wait (as I am!) and adds to my credit mix, as it's my only store card.

Of course, I must add, this does not stop me from hating them!  The credit department that is, I happen to prefer Target over Wal-mart considerably. Our Wal-mart is just yucky.
Message 15 of 28
Bella1980
Established Contributor

I'm officially having a competition between the 2.....I seem to be addicted to shopping in these stores...not cos I think they are that great but because in the midwest town where I live, there is not much else!! :-(

On a sidenote, I got my Dillards card with my $20 gift certificates and have been in the store twice and still haven't used it!! Big shocker!!!Woman Surprised

I nearly bought a coach wallet but came to my senses when I realized it was really way more than I was willing to spend on a wallet (blame this wish on my friend who just bought a LV handbag and has me addicted to getting some sort of designer bag or wallet now,haha. NOT on my current budget!)

So anyways the competition is on.....Let's see who rewards me first!

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 28
SWISSOATL
Contributor

Target wants to see usage and PIF each month then u get the Target Visa after about 3-4 months! From then its still about usage and PIF but also they do a soft pull for a CLI if you request it after 4 months and few to no baddies and from what i have seen on here is that you do have to stop using them to get a good CLI! but once again it is off of a soft pull!

I love my Target Visa! and u also get the 10% off coupon every $1000 spent! which isnt much but its something!

Walmart is ok but i went from $125 to $200 not much at all! i will press the luv button in a few more months! lol 
EQ N/A
EXP- 692
TU- 673 3/10/08br>
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

SWISSOATL wrote:
Target wants to see usage and PIF each month then u get the Target Visa after about 3-4 months!

Please don't make this blanket statement.  Some of us have had our Target cards for a loooooong time, use them regularly, always PIF, and still have not seen an upgrade.

The upgrade to Target Visa is unpredictable at best.  We don't want people browsing the forums to think that it's a sure thing they'll be upgraded in 3-4 months.

Message 18 of 28
bridgetkaryn
Frequent Contributor

Target is an impossible card to understand... In Feb 2007 I was given a $200 CL, my scores were in the mid-400's low 500's... I use my card, PIF each month (sometime multiple times in a month because my CL is so stinkin low) and I have received NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from them...

My scores have gone up about 100-150 points since I opened my card... I have other CC's with $5000, 9000, 2500 credit limits and they keep me at a measly $200!??!?!?!?!?!  I just don't get them at ALL!

Oh well... time for the sock drawer...  unless they give me a CLI...

Bridget

Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 28
SWISSOATL
Contributor

cheddar wrote:

SWISSOATL wrote:
Target wants to see usage and PIF each month then u get the Target Visa after about 3-4 months!

Please don't make this blanket statement.  Some of us have had our Target cards for a loooooong time, use them regularly, always PIF, and still have not seen an upgrade.

The upgrade to Target Visa is unpredictable at best.  We don't want people browsing the forums to think that it's a sure thing they'll be upgraded in 3-4 months.

Touchy subject for some i see! lol!

how is the overall credit?
how much do u spend? $100 or $150+ a month? or less?
thats what i was doing! so they said i have been responsible and need more credit!

I think it also has something to do with using credit/store cards when u first get them and pif the
first few months and show how u would use it!
EQ N/A
EXP- 692
TU- 673 3/10/08br>
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.