Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target red. Would you close?

tag
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Re: Target red. Would you close?

The 5% Red Card discount, free shipping on any size order and 30 extra days for returns outweight any negatives of having a low credit limit in my opinion.

Message 11 of 18
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I have a red card.  It doesn't have a huge limit, and I can't use it currently because there are no Target Stores where I currently live (I move around a lot), but I don't see any reason to close it.  There is no annual fee and the card offers good discounts.  

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 12 of 18
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Is having a low limit like $200 seen as a negative to prospective lenders?

Message 13 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I dont really think so. Id you had ALL low limits, then yes, but if you have a bunch of cards with nice limits, and then one with a low limit, i dont think it would be an issue. Just my opinion though.
Message 14 of 18
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

I may be mistaken but I believe I read somewhere that Target will keep/manage the Red Cards it currently has issued by them but all future applications will be issued/managed by TD. In any case, I would keep it open and hope that one day they do an account review and increase it. Just be sure to keep it active every few months. 

Message 15 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I hadn't heard about that CW2013, but you may very well be right. I just assumed TD would be taking over all of them, but you know what they say about assumptions. Lol
Message 16 of 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I closed mine. After a year of no clis and a crappy $300 cl, I said to hell with it!
Ain't nobody got time for that!!! Lol

The thing is, a low limit like that would affect your average credit limit.
So, for issuers that, in theory, approve you with an initial avg CL of all your current CLs... That $300 CL could reduce an initial limit with a new creditor.

That's how I see it, and why I closed it!! It's such a hassle to only use 1/3 of a line that small anyway!

Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 18
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

The thing is, a low limit like that would affect your average credit limit.
So, for issuers that, in theory, approve you with an initial avg CL of all your current CLs... That $300 CL could reduce an initial limit with a new creditor.

That's how I see it, and why I closed it!! It's such a hassle to only use 1/3 of a line that small anyway!

My Target RED card has a $700 limit, but I am very certain that taking an average of your limits is not what lenders do when they issue new credit.  They usually match your highest or second highest limit card.... sometimes exactly.  Some cards have a minimum limit, like $5000.  If you get approved for a card like that, you will get at least the minimum limit.

And you don't have to only use 1/3 of the CL.  If you trying to prevent your FICO from dropping any points at all (ie: you are looking for a new loan very soon), then you can just pay the balance before the statement date.  Paying the full balance on a low limit card like that is a good practice anyway, though.  I always pay the full balance on my Target card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.