cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Experience with US Bank regarding US Bank Cash Rewards credit card. Any advice?

tag
WheyProtein

Terrible Experience with US Bank regarding US Bank Cash Rewards credit card. Any advice?

So here's the story:

I applied for the US Bank Cash+ credit card ~4 months ago and received instead the US Bank Cash Rewards credit card with a $4,000 credit limit. I just turned 21 years old two weeks ago, so I was approved for this card at age 20. Since I am trying to PC (product change) to US Bank Cash+ in two months, I want to show them that I can utilize most of my current 4k credit limit. Thus, I set out to purchase amazon and amex gift cards just to rack up the balance:credit limit ratio.

I successfully purchased 1k amazon gift cards, but ALL subsequent amex gift cards (and later amazon gift cards) were declined. They locked my account so I couldn't access it online and told me to call the fraud prevention number. I called, and, after giving them personal details and verifying that the transactions of the 1k amex gift cards were not fradulent, they told me that I could purchase them. I tried again, but my card was still denied.

I called the fraud prevention line back, and they told me that my card was still flagged as "possible fraud" and that they would transfer me to a supervisor. Their supervisor asked me more personal details, including WHY I was making the amex gift card purchase, which I thought was inappropriate. The supervisor then told me to try to make the purchase of the 1k amex gift cards again with him on the line, but then while I was typing the billing address and credit card information, the supervisor told me that "it seems like you'll need to visit a local US Bank branch to make this transaction with a valid ID." 

I went to a local US Bank branch, told them what happened, and they said that they had no ability to lift the "lock(?)" to allow me to make the 1k amex gift card transaction and that they could only control checking/savings transactions. The teller then helped me to call the number on the back of my US Bank Cash Rewards credit card after briefing the bank supervisor, and was finally given another number (which I did not find a source through google search engine or anywhere else). I then tried one last time and attempted to purchase two $100 amazon gift cards from my local grocery store along with a bag of chips and a drink, but, to my surprise, the entire transaction was denied. I got pretty angry at that point so I just used another credit card to buy the chips and drink I wanted.

My questions: Are these situations normal for the average US Bank credit card holder? What could be the reason for me not being able to make the 1k amex gift card purchase (or, perhaps not even in-store $100 amazon gift card purchases)? I will be calling the number the bank teller wrote down tomorrow, but does anyone know what it might be? Is this type of behavior unacceptable and does it warrant a filing of a complaint to a consumer agency or the BBB?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: Terrible Experience with US Bank regarding US Bank Cash Rewards credit card. Any advice?

How long have you had this card??? What is your normal monthly spending??? If this is something out of the ordinary the may have flagged your acct.

Message 2 of 12
WheyProtein

Re: Terrible Experience with US Bank regarding US Bank Cash Rewards credit card. Any advice?

@beb86 wrote:

How long have you had this card??? What is your normal monthly spending??? If this is something out of the ordinary the may have flagged your acct.

Again, 4 months. I have barely used this card in the past (because I have other cards with much better rewards; e.g. Chase freedom, Discover More, Fidelity Amex)). I already passed all of their security questions AND went to the local bank in-person (as instructed) so how come I still cannot purchase these 1k amex gift cards? I feel like I am just being tossed around and taken advantage of even though I have only spent 1k out of my total 4k credit limit....

Message 3 of 12
WheyProtein

@WheyProtein wrote:

@beb86 wrote:

Again, 4 months. I have barely used this card in the past (because I have other cards with much better rewards; e.g. Chase freedom, Discover More, Fidelity Amex)). I already passed all of their security questions AND went to the local bank in-person (as instructed) so how come I still cannot purchase these 1k amex gift cards? I feel like I am just being tossed around and taken advantage of even though I have only spent 1k out of my total 4k credit limit....

Fyi... I am a college student, with scholarship income totalling 30k/year, 12 credit cards (all prime cards) with a combined CL of ~$23,000.

Message 4 of 12
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Buying cash equivalents such as gift cards, pre-paid credit cards, u.s. coinage (mint.com), isn't a way to show them you can handle your CL, especially when they are large valued cards. They are major red flags for theft and fraud, because after you have the cards its harder to link money back to you, such purchases frequently linked to theft, and money laundering schemes.

If you want to purchase such cards its best to use cash or debit at least untill you have a long history with the company.  If you just want to push money through there cards showing them you have the money, pay all your expenses with the card,  utilities (cellphone, cable, satelite, electric), rent, living expenses and dining and pay the card in full. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 12
WheyProtein

okay, so do you think that a payment for my college tuition of 4k next quarter will go through?

Message 6 of 12
WheyProtein

@jamesdwi wrote:

Buying cash equivalents such as gift cards, pre-paid credit cards, u.s. coinage (mint.com), isn't a way to show them you can handle your CL, especially when they are large valued cards. They are major red flags for theft and fraud, because after you have the cards its harder to link money back to you, such purchases frequently linked to theft, and money laundering schemes.

If you want to purchase such cards its best to use cash or debit at least untill you have a long history with the company.  If you just want to push money through there cards showing them you have the money, pay all your expenses with the card,  utilities (cellphone, cable, satelite, electric), rent, living expenses and dining and pay the card in full. 

and in response to your answer. yes, but buying gift cards, pre-paid cards are also methods used by people to satisfy credit card bonus offers and (sometimes) to rake in credit card rewards. 

Message 7 of 12
beb86
Valued Contributor

Dont see why not. You may have raised a red flag but ig you have called and verifed everything you should be good to go.

Message 8 of 12
toppers555
Established Contributor

You really have no ground I would say for a complaint. if you barely use the card, and then suddenly buy 1k wirth of gift cards, which most places will not even let you buy gift cards with credit , I would say it looks like fraud.

WheyProtein wrote:

So here's the story:

I applied for the US Bank Cash+ credit card ~4 months ago and received instead the US Bank Cash Rewards credit card with a $4,000 credit limit. I just turned 21 years old two weeks ago, so I was approved for this card at age 20. Since I am trying to PC (product change) to US Bank Cash+ in two months, I want to show them that I can utilize most of my current 4k credit limit. Thus, I set out to purchase amazon and amex gift cards just to rack up the balance:credit limit ratio.

I successfully purchased 1k amazon gift cards, but ALL subsequent amex gift cards (and later amazon gift cards) were declined. They locked my account so I couldn't access it online and told me to call the fraud prevention number. I called, and, after giving them personal details and verifying that the transactions of the 1k amex gift cards were not fradulent, they told me that I could purchase them. I tried again, but my card was still denied.

I called the fraud prevention line back, and they told me that my card was still flagged as "possible fraud" and that they would transfer me to a supervisor. Their supervisor asked me more personal details, including WHY I was making the amex gift card purchase, which I thought was inappropriate. The supervisor then told me to try to make the purchase of the 1k amex gift cards again with him on the line, but then while I was typing the billing address and credit card information, the supervisor told me that "it seems like you'll need to visit a local US Bank branch to make this transaction with a valid ID." 

I went to a local US Bank branch, told them what happened, and they said that they had no ability to lift the "lock(?)" to allow me to make the 1k amex gift card transaction and that they could only control checking/savings transactions. The teller then helped me to call the number on the back of my US Bank Cash Rewards credit card after briefing the bank supervisor, and was finally given another number (which I did not find a source through google search engine or anywhere else). I then tried one last time and attempted to purchase two $100 amazon gift cards from my local grocery store along with a bag of chips and a drink, but, to my surprise, the entire transaction was denied. I got pretty angry at that point so I just used another credit card to buy the chips and drink I wanted.

My questions: Are these situations normal for the average US Bank credit card holder? What could be the reason for me not being able to make the 1k amex gift card purchase (or, perhaps not even in-store $100 amazon gift card purchases)? I will be calling the number the bank teller wrote down tomorrow, but does anyone know what it might be? Is this type of behavior unacceptable and does it warrant a filing of a complaint to a consumer agency or the BBB?

You really have no ground I would say for a complaint. if you barely use the card, and then suddenly buy 1k wirth of gift cards, which most places will not even let you buy gift cards with credit , I would say it looks like fraud.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 9 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@WheyProtein wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

and in response to your answer. yes, but buying gift cards, pre-paid cards are also methods used by people to satisfy credit card bonus offers and (sometimes) to rake in credit card rewards. 

Lenders also crack down on that behavior wherever possible.  Of the people who I know regularly do so, typically their volume of spend dwarfs the amount they're spending on said gift cards, so it's less likely to be considered as fraud.

I think James is on the money on this one, buying gift cards has been linked to a pattern of fraud by lenders, and quite likely you tripped their systems as a result.  

        
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.