Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thankyou points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou points

Are these better or worse than % back? Can anyone explain exactly how they are redeemed?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

Re: Thankyou points

I believe you can redeem them for gift cards or for travel. I'm not sure if 1TYP=1% Cash back.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 2 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

In value terms, they are basically equivalent. However you have fewer options as to how you redeem TY points. IMO they're the worst bank point currency (when compared to others like UR, SPG, MR, MRE, BofA/Chase/CapOne cash-back options).

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 24
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

I've found that they're generally equal to 0.8% to 0.9% cash back when redeemed for gift cards. They become more valuable when you redeem for higher rewards, so a $100 gift card will give you more bang for the point than a $25 gift card. I agree that they are the worst bank point currency, but I don't mind since I'm getting 5x points at restaurants and Amazon with my Forward. Smiley Wink
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 4 of 24
Cory
Established Contributor

+3, very terrible point system. I got so tired of the TY system, until I recently just closed my Citi-Forward Card. I loved Citi's Customer Service in general, but Citi-Forward was not working for me personally. Great bank to deal with though. Citi's Customer Service is excellent!

Message 5 of 24
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

@Cory wrote:

+3, very terrible point system. I got so tired of the TY system, until I recently just closed my Citi-Forward Card. I loved Citi's Customer Service in general, but Citi-Forward was not working for me personally. Great bank to deal with though. Citi's Customer Service is excellent!

Any reason why citiforward wasn't working for u? I thinking of applying for forward, just like to get both sides of the pie.

Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 6 of 24
bribro
Valued Contributor

I'm considering a Citi Forward card myself, by the Citi TY points system is a big turnoff. Granted, with 5% cash back on restaurants it's a better value, but compared to my effective 3.6% cash back via CSP I'm not sure it's worth throwing another card into the mix.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 7 of 24
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@bribro wrote:

I'm considering a Citi Forward card myself, by the Citi TY points system is a big turnoff. Granted, with 5% cash back on restaurants it's a better value, but compared to my effective 3.6% cash back via CSP I'm not sure it's worth throwing another card into the mix.

My average realized value from the Forward is about 4.1% at restaurants through redeeming for gift cards. IMO that .5% wouldn't be worth throwing an extra card in the mix. In addition to a hard pull and another card to keep active, it would take you longer to redeem rewards.  Not worth it for just $5 out of every $1k spent IMO.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 8 of 24
LilNYC
New Contributor

I have both the Citi Forward & Citi Thank You cards & I'm able to redeem my TY points for gift cards at 1:1 value as long as the gift card is at least $25. There are a lot of merchant gift cards to choose from. I just reedemed my signup points for $250 in Bloomingdales gift cards. My only complaint is that Citi didn't mail out the gift cards till 4 days after I reedemed my points.  Statement rebate & visa cash cards are at 50% value though. 

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can always get them to redeem your points as a check written to your mortgage company, if you want 1:1 cash-out.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.