cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 2009 Tough Love-Cool Your Jets Center Is Launched!

tag
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: The 2009 Tough-Love Cool Your Jets Center Is Launched!

I am still on board. I said that the only application I was going to have this year was a refi on my house. We closed last friday so no more apps this year!
TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 71 of 91
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I am back on the wagon. I fel off briefly, but am back on.  No apps for me until the inqs from my mortgage age to one year in August.
WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 72 of 91
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

I've been app free for a month.  Yay me! 

So, I guess I'm back on..  as soon as I say "Can't imagine what I'd app for", something comes up.  So, I'm not saying a word.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 73 of 91
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

I've been app free for the past 6 months and hope to keep up the good work and dedication. I have way too many inquiries on EX and I use that as a tool to keep myself from applying as it would result in a denial. My main goal is to prepare my credit reports and get approved for a PenFed Cash Back Visa in 2011.
Message 74 of 91
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I, umm, acquired an inq in the process of, umm, preparing to close my AmEx Gold card. Smiley Surprised

I'm too cheap to pay the Gold renewal fee, so I got a Blue to keep my toe in with American Excitement Express. But I'd been planning to do this for 11 months, so I'm claiming a mulligan on this one! And the Blue should report as a thirteen-month-old account, she said defensively.

Nuthin' else going on or planned, though.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 75 of 91
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

AMEX pulled your report for a product conversion?

Message 76 of 91
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@YoungEntrepeneur wrote:

AMEX pulled your report for a product conversion?

I had a charge (traditional) AmEx card, and I wanted to get a CC to avoid the annual fee. You can't do a product conversion for charge to revolving or vice versa, so it's a new app.

However, the new card should be issued with the year in which the first card was issued. In my case, that means that the card will show up (eventually) with an opening date of Feb 2008, rather than 2009. So inq damage, but no "new account" ding.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 77 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. It was a quality sin, though. Apped for Mortgage loan, got pre-approved, found house, made offer, offer accepted, now just got to get through the next 30 days without starting to drink heavily. Smiley Happy
Message 78 of 91
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: The 2009 Tough Love-Cool Your Jets Center Is Launched!

contractor wrote:

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. It was a quality sin, though. Apped for Mortgage loan, got pre-approved, found house, made offer, offer accepted, now just got to get through the next 30 days without starting to drink heavily. Smiley Happy

Can't speak for the Father, but Mom FICO (me) says you're off the hook. The idea of the TL-CYJ center is to end blind, thoughtless, wild-hair apping. Strategic app'ing that benefits you financially and credit-wise is just fine. (This is my out for getting the Blue.)

Credit is a useful tool, as long as you involve your brain! Smiley Wink

Good luck during your waiting period.

Oh, and put the bottle back, dear.
Message 79 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The 2009 Tough Love-Cool Your Jets Center Is Launched!

Ok, so now I know what an app spree feels like.

A week ago I thought to myself "well, my scores are pretty high, and my utilization is pretty low, and there's nothing else I can do to up my score for now."

All's well, then I start reading about CareCredit. I did need to get braces and that could be a good way to help finance that, because I know it's going to cost me an outlandish amount. So, I apped, and was approved for $5k. Wow.

But here's where I made my mistake: in the rush of the moment, I apped for two more cards: a Walmart store card (approved, $800) and a Juniper iTunes (denied). Ok. That's my apping for the next 9 months. But I gave in and the next morning I applied for 5 more cards!!!! (Hooters--pending, Sony Card--pending, JCPenney--$150, Macy's-approved-unknown, and Best Buy--$1800)

The CareCredit and Best Buy store cards were worth it in my opinion, and once I run by JCPenney I'm sure I can get a CLI for that, but I seriously botched up my plan to hit a 700 FICO score this year. Smiley Sad I'm kinda bummed, honestly.

EDIT to add update: I got a denial letter from Chase for the Sony Card, which cited "Too many recent requests for credit". After building up a ton of courage, I finally called the backdoor number and spoke with a gentleman named Mike to ask for a recon. After asking me about almost every card I have and how I use them, and why in the world I applied for so many cards, he sent through a recon for a $500-limit Sony Card. I should get it in 7-10 days. He did mention to "lay off the applications." I feel like hiding under a rock now. Smiley Surprised 

Message Edited by Typogrammer on 03-04-2009 02:20 PM
Message 80 of 91
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.