Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The “All other purchases” card

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: The “All other purchases” card

I'm one of those who dosen't travel so I stay away form points and look at cash back.

Card 1 Discover - Using 5% catagories. I can also use as general spend as I just got the card and will double my cash back until Feb of 19.  So in effect it is 2% for general spend and 10% for catagories,  but I won't get the extra for almost a year.

Card 2 - Amex BCE - 3% for supermarkets, 2% for gas / select department stores, 1% for everything else.  - I will use for groceries, and occasionaly for gas.

Card 3 Chase Amazon Rewards - 5% on Amazon Purchases , 2% Resturant and gas, 1 % everything else.  I use for Amazon purchases, and Resturants, may use occasionally for gas. 

Card 4 - Citi Double Cash 1% when I purchase and 1% when I pay.   I PIF so I am getting 2% on all purcahses.   General spending card for anything that I am not getting at least 2% on another card.

Card 5 - Quicksilver -  1.5% cashback on everyting. This was my goto for everyting because all I had was this and a Cap one Platinum.  Now that I have the others this will be for my kids (age 18 and 23) to use and build some credit as AUs.

Card 6 - Sync Lowes - used for Special Financing or the 5% off on purchase.   

Even though he 2% catagories on other cards don't net me anymore than using the Citi DC  I will use them for the 2% catagories just to make sure I am spreading the wealth of my general spending around all my cards.  When in doubt the Citi DC is my goto general spending card. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 41 of 46
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Citi DC, my go to card.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 42 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xenon3030wrote:

BOA PR can be a good CC for the other categories (1.5-2.63X depending on status from regular to Pt honor).

I think BoA is really overlooked, people don't account for the preferred rewards program. It's withw noting that you get that 2.63% back in the Travel Reserve card as well, will no annual fee. I couldn't justify the PR card's fee given that the TR card is free. It's trivial to get 1.6% back just by opening a bank account and if you have any savings at all not hard to climb the other rewards tiers.

It also had no foreign fee meaning it's a daily driver you can travel with.

I am in the process of moving my retirement savings to Merrill Edge just to get that 2.63% rate. They are also giving me a transfer in bonus as well.

Message 43 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Freedom Unlimited and the Amex SPG. 

Message 44 of 46
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@xenon3030wrote:

BOA PR can be a good CC for the other categories (1.5-2.63X depending on status from regular to Pt honor).

I think BoA is really overlooked, people don't account for the preferred rewards program. It's withw noting that you get that 2.63% back in the Travel Reserve card as well, will no annual fee. I couldn't justify the PR card's fee given that the TR card is free. It's trivial to get 1.6% back just by opening a bank account and if you have any savings at all not hard to climb the other rewards tiers.

It also had no foreign fee meaning it's a daily driver you can travel with.

I am in the process of moving my retirement savings to Merrill Edge just to get that 2.63% rate. They are also giving me a transfer in bonus as well.

I don't think it's so much overlooked but that the minimum deposit requirements (savings/checking/ML/ME) to max the earning potential not everyone can get so it's rather limited. And the TR card is just a 1.5% cashback card they just call it a "travel" card. If you do any sort of travel and prefer cashback the PR card is superior and basically free after the incidental credit.

Message 45 of 46
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Both PR and TR have practically no AF (PR: 100$ travel credit, 95$ AF --> earn 5$).

PR is much better than TR (travel insurance, TSA fee coverage, minimum 2x on travel/dinning, etc.).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.