Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Annual Fees are coming!

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

The Annual Fees are coming!

Title says it...  Just got done slapped with the AF on the Amex platinum a month or so ago along with the VA (small in comparison to Plat) and just got notified that I am going to get hit with the Delta fee along with the CSP fee at the beginning of December.  Why do all my annual fees basically have to be lumped so close together :/..  Lets not forget if the 140k Ritz promo comes around, mise well add another 395$ to the mix and of course next year the Hyatt fee will hit this month..  So ya all my annual fees land within 2 months of each other, not much fun.. Oh well gotta pay to play I guess and as long as I get benefits back I kinda gotta shut itSmiley Happy.  Only one I want to cancel is the delta, but can't give up the backdating!  I will eventually PC that in the Hhonors once Hhonors hit a year and cancel that since that isn't backdated and have already got the points etc on it..   Enough of my weeping.

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: The Annual Fees are coming!

In fairness, we know about the fees when applying. Saying you got slapped with a fee makes it sound like its random or unfair.  If they make sense, keep the cards. If not, dont. Not too much else to say about it.

Message 2 of 39
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Speaking of the Platinum, did you get it in contactless yet?Woman Very Happy

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 3 of 39
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Discover2016 wrote:

Speaking of the Platinum, did you get it in contactless yet?Woman Very Happy

Ye I did

Message 4 of 39
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

In fairness, we know about the fees when applying. Saying you got slapped with a fee makes it sound like its random or unfair.  If they make sense, keep the cards. If not, dont. Not too much else to say about it.

I think you know what I meant when I said I got slapped with the fees.. I knew exactly what I was getting into when applying for the cards and the AF's are part of the business to have the cards I desire.  I can afford them easily, just don't enjoy paying them is all Smiley Happy.. I don't think anyone enjoys paying AF's, but they do!  Thread was more of a light hearted joke more than anything.  Just wish they were spread out every 2 months, but bonuses don't quite seem to work that way for the cards I have applied for.

Message 5 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditCuriousity wrote:

Title says it...  Just got done slapped with the AF on the Amex platinum a month or so ago along with the VA (small in comparison to Plat) and just got notified that I am going to get hit with the Delta fee along with the CSP fee at the beginning of December.  Why do all my annual fees basically have to be lumped so close together :/..  Lets not forget if the 140k Ritz promo comes around, mise well add another 395$ to the mix and of course next year the Hyatt fee will hit this month..  So ya all my annual fees land within 2 months of each other, not much fun.. Oh well gotta pay to play I guess and as long as I get benefits back I kinda gotta shut itSmiley Happy.  Only one I want to cancel is the delta, but can't give up the backdating!  I will eventually PC that in the Hhonors once Hhonors hit a year and cancel that since that isn't backdated and have already got the points etc on it..   Enough of my weeping.

CC, If the card has a purpose, I do not mind paying the annual fee. The Ritz will be open for me for a long time Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 39
Open123
Super Contributor

Right, no fun paying fees!  

I'll never feel good about paying them, but it's the price of admission.  The truly "best" rewards cards all have fees.  It's like taxes, just because I have to pay isn't enough of a pain to earn less income.

If you have a business, those cards fees that can be written off feel much less painful!

Message 7 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good post, CC. Totally understand. Just because you are enjoying the cards and their benefits does not make getting hit with a slew of fees any easier, especially when it is all at once.

It would be interesting to know the aggregate amount of fees Amex rakes in from all of its cardholders each year - at least in the millions, I would venture to guess, and potentially billion(s)? Wow.

Message 8 of 39
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think you know what I meant when I said I got slapped with the fees.. I knew exactly what I was getting into when applying for the cards and the AF's are part of the business to have the cards I desire.  I can afford them easily, just don't enjoy paying them is all Smiley Happy.. I don't think anyone enjoys paying AF's, but they do!  Thread was more of a light hearted joke more than anything.  Just wish they were spread out every 2 months, but bonuses don't quite seem to work that way for the cards I have applied for.

I'd feel better about the fees if they (1) earned rewards, and (2) counted towards the min spend requirment for a bonus!

Message 9 of 39
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Good post, CC. Totally understand. Just because you are enjoying the cards and their benefits does not make getting hit with a slew of fees any easier, especially when it is all at once.

It would be interesting to know the aggregate amount of fees Amex rakes in from all of its cardholders each year - at least in the millions, I would venture to guess, and potentially billion(s)? Wow.

I would venture to say well into the billions with businesses included as well, be interesting to know this $.  Might be public figure as it is a publicy traded company although I don't feel like digging to try to figure it outSmiley Happy

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.