Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BOA hasn't hit me yet thread

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

The BOA hasn't hit me yet thread

i got a surly analyst on the line who was not impressed by my cli request a few weeks ago.  she was like 'i am an analyst, if you want an increase why don't you use your card?'  WTH? i do use it, why are you telling me your job title in a scary manner?  i then asked if i could do a CL reallocation and she said i'll have to do a full review of your accounts.  oh yeah:  no thanks!  i thanked her and said ciao!  so far, so good on my two cards *crossing fingers* while hoping for CU approval. 
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Established Contributor

Re: The BOA hasn't hit me yet thread

I thought that "BoA hasn't hit me yet"

was a good topic when I saw it. BoA hasn't hit me yet because I have not asked for any CLIs recently. I don't use more than 50% of my credit limits so there is no reason to ask for increases. BoA definitely is not going to give increases just so that people have better overall utilization for the purpose of raising credit scores. Sadly those days are over. 

I would like to know if there are others out there who haven't been "hit by Bank of America yet", and why they think they haven't received any adverse action.....(yet) :smileyindifferent:

@score_building wrote:
i got a surly analyst on the line who was not impressed by my cli request a few weeks ago.  she was like 'i am an analyst, if you want an increase why don't you use your card?'

What percentage of your credit limit are you using for new charges every month? Are you revolving a balance but not using your card for charges? Do you revolve balances on other cards? That is very important. BoA has no interest in raising credit limits just to improve overall utilization so that customers can maintain high balances on competitor's credit cards.

score_building wrote: 
why are you telling me your job title in a scary manner?  

What exactly constitutes a "scary manner" Smiley Surprised

@score_building wrote:
i then asked if i could do a CL reallocation and she said i'll have to do a full review of your accounts.  oh yeah:  no thanks!  

...hoping for CU approval.

Does that mean that there would be a hard credit pull or just that it would take a little time to reach a decision? Bank of America doesn't seem to have much hesitation in reallocating limits. The bank's main consideration is the overall risk exposure across all BoA tradelines.  

Bank of America told me quite a while ago that I have reached my total risk exposure limit with the bank. I therefore obtained a second Chase card and started my CLI journey with that bank. It seems that I haven't reached my exposure limit with Chase.

In the meantime I am not calling BoA for anything. I don't want to give any analysts reason to look at my high limits and decide to lower them.

These days I see no reason to ask for CLIs without demonstrating the usage that would justify the increases. Even talking to CSRs about other issues, creates the risk of CLDs.

I think that your intention to play the credit union card is a wise one.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

so far my families BofA cards are good. 2 accounts have fixed 3.9 for life of balance which we are not paying off but do pay far more than min. those accounts have the most available credit sitting there also and so far so good.
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm really hoping that posting on this thread doesn't jinx me Smiley Tongue , but so far, so good.

I do believe, though, that they just haven't gotten to me yet. Don't know if the perky noises they were making last week about how well they were doing means that they're slowing down on CLD's.

Guardian posted that a friend (relative) who works for BofA told him that they're working through groups in stages, and that they will CLD to a certain percentage above the highest-ever balance. Since I got with them via a BT, I once had a high (initial) balance of $8,240. Whether they would look at that figure or not, as it wasn't really a purchase, is a question.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

they're working through groups in stages, and that they will CLD to a certain percentage above the highest-ever balance. Since I got with them via a BT, I once had a high (initial) balance of $8,240. Whether they would look at that figure or not, as it wasn't really a purchase, is a question.

I have always felt that the "most owed" or "high balance" in credit reports was significant in some way or it wouldn't be recorded. I believe that that number is reasonable for banks to use as a baseline when considering limiting their risk exposure. I will be content with CLs of 10 or 20% above my highest balances. I used 0% BTs to obtain my current limits. I always requested CLs in order to borrow an amount no higher than 50% individual card utility.

If we can by some chance survive the tight credit market without BoA CLDs, we will be way ahead of the game when credit loosens up in the future. I believe that once being CLDd it will never be as easy to regain our limits, as it was obtaining them in the first place.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm almost afraid to say it, for fear of jinxing it.

I've had not seen any AA of any kind from BoA (or any other lender for that matter). Nothing, nada, zippo. In January, I got a very lovely CLI from them. I also noticed that they've been incrementally lowering my APR 1/4 to 1/2 a percentage point on each statement.

The only downer that I can speak of is that they wouldn't let me product change to a cashback rewards card, from my current rewards card last month. They were extremely apologetic, and really nice about it, and I didn't really push the issue. They did point out, though, that I could opt for cashback with the WorldPoints program. It's not really great cashback, but... what can you do?

They've gone from softing me weekly, to softing me monthly, since January. I've not seen neither a hint nor a whisper of any impending doom. I don't know if it helps that I've got a checking, savings and a couple of investment products with them.

Since my CLI in January, I've been utilizing anywhere between 12 to 30% (btw $900 and $2000) of the credit line each month and then PIF before the statement cuts. Of late, it's been more like the $900, as I have to keep the other lenders limber too. I never carry a balance. My overall (reported) utilization across all cards is less than 1% at any given time. I only let a balance report on one card to maximize 'credit usage' points.

I use the card for some recurring bills (cell phone, a utility, a reimbursed working expense, auto insurance payment), general entertainment: the occasional movies, restaurants, department stores, Amazon.com movies on demand, etc...), groceries, and gas. It definitely gets a work-out.

As for why I haven't been hit yet...? Well, I hadn't posted to this thread yet, LOL! It could be the "love letters" that I make a point in sending via the online banking tool, every now and again. And, any time I have to call them, I request the CSRs manager so that I can tell them how pleased I am with the quality of service. It could be that they want to keep up with the Jones's-Lender NFCU. Having recently emerged back into *good* credit, they might be worried about competition from people who are on the way up, moreso than people who have been idling there all along or for a long time, and don't seem inclined to seek out another lender anyway. BoA is my favorite card, but not my highest credit line, so that may give them some degree of comfort. That, and the fact that I don't have any really high credit lines, the highest being 12k. Or, maybe they don't want to be the first to take AA in the form of a CLD against customers-- maybe they think it'll soften the blow and the consumers' memories if they just follow suit, rather than take the lead.

But, if I had to put money on a reason, I think they just haven't gotten to my letter of the alphabet yet.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to be on the safe side--

Circle, Circle, Dot, Dot

Now I've got my AA Shot!

Message 7 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

DITTO Smiley Happy  EVERYBODY INCLUDED!!

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to be on the safe side--

Circle, Circle, Dot, Dot

Now I've got my AA Shot!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.