The Best 2% Card Showdown

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Best 2% Card Showdown

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Navy Flagship

2% on everything except 3% on travel.

I heard a lot about NFCU, sadly I am not eligible for for membership even though they offer great products.

Message 41 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digitek wrote:

I'm a fan of the SDFCU card, but they are really conservative. If you didn't get AOD then SDFCU would probably be the same Smiley Sad  Also agree with gmood1 in that their customer service is kind of middle of the road.

Amex Blue Business Plus should get a mention if you like MR, can usually get a better return than 2% out of 2 MR without too much trouble.

The blue business line up I am eligible actually since I do contractor work. Its really not talked about because of the business aspect.

Message 42 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

PayPal. If you can deal with the lack of transaction notifications for purchases not made through PayPal, it's a pretty decent 2% card and Synchrony occasionally sends offers to earn 3 or 4% up to a certain amount or spend offers. 

I wouldn't really try SDFCU or PenFed if you got shot down for DTI by AOD. Both of them are known to be sensitive to it to it; every CU is to some extent. Banks tend to be more willing to take on more aggressive risk. 

Citi has been conservative in my experience so far. DC seems like an ok card and I like that Citi offers virtual credit card numbers (one of my favorite features of Capital One cards) and the flexibility with TYPs or cash back was really attractive to me since I have the Rewards+ already but until AOD nerfs the 3% in a way that makes it not worth it for me, I'm not going to waste an app on DC. If something does go south with the AOD card though, DC is on my radar. 

Glad that you got the AOD card. From my experience I didn't even know that Citi was conservative because of my approval with them through many HP and apps. 

Message 43 of 160
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Aside from slightly-lesser-known CU cards, I think the Citi DC and the PPMC are going to be the main players here. I personally have the DC and have been extremely happy with it! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 44 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Aside from slightly-lesser-known CU cards, I think the Citi DC and the PPMC are going to be the main players here. I personally have the DC and have been extremely happy with it! 

Thats what I originally thought it would be the DC and PPMC just battling it out. No, appears we got fan of CU here.

Message 45 of 160
Gmood1
Super Contributor

There's one thing that stands out with the DC. It's the ability to easily dispute charges.

Synchrony is a bit more archaic when it comes to this. Not quite the level of refinement.

No real favorite dog in this race for me, since I have the majority of the cards mentioned in this thread including the Business Amex.

If you want to build a relationship passed just the credit cards. Penfed or another CU may benefit you more in the future.

Message 46 of 160
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, would like to know people's opinion on their 2% Unicorns. Their 2% Cashback/Point card of their choice. 

Personally I own the DC, but I for sure know there are a lot of other options that people can go to. I would list them out, but I am slightly forgetful and might leave one out by accident. So forgive me if I only talked about the one I personally own. It will also help me decide if I should change my own card to something else. Any suggestions and advice are much appreciated!

I completely understand their 3% FOTM is the AOD Visa, however, please refrain from including it because it's in a league of its own now. I am also a little salty that I got denial for the card.  

I don't have a dedicated 2% personal card, but I do have a 2% business card in the American Express Blue Business Cash. 2% across the boards on everything, and you can use it on non-business items as well. 

Potential Future Cards
Message 47 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, would like to know people's opinion on their 2% Unicorns. Their 2% Cashback/Point card of their choice. 

Personally I own the DC, but I for sure know there are a lot of other options that people can go to. I would list them out, but I am slightly forgetful and might leave one out by accident. So forgive me if I only talked about the one I personally own. It will also help me decide if I should change my own card to something else. Any suggestions and advice are much appreciated!

I completely understand their 3% FOTM is the AOD Visa, however, please refrain from including it because it's in a league of its own now. I am also a little salty that I got denial for the card.  

I don't have a dedicated 2% personal card, but I do have a 2% business card in the American Express Blue Business Cash. 2% across the boards on everything, and you can use it on non-business items as well. 

What made you choose the cash version of the card instead of the MRP point version? Is that a personal thing?

Message 48 of 160
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What made you choose the cash version of the card instead of the MRP point version? Is that a personal thing?

Yes...I am a cash guy, not a MR points guy Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 49 of 160
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There are pros and cons to every card. Paypal has no redemption threshold, but a clunky website and not the best customer service from what I've seen. Citi DC has flexible redemption (cash or points) but you do have a $25 threshold if you want the cash. If you transfer to points I think you only need $1. I think overall if you want versatile redemption the DC is a great choice.

If you qualify for BoA Preferred Rewards at the top level, 2.62% cash back with Premium card is pretty tough to beat.

Message 50 of 160
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.