Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The CSR is a great card for anyone!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CSR is a great card for anyone!

First of all, having the CSR is essentially only a a 150 anual fee card if you factor in the 300 yearly statement credit. Secondly, having the CSR with 50% redemption makes having the Freedom Unlimited a 2.25% back card and the Chase Freedom rotating categories a 7.5% back card. Just doing the math, spending only 3.33K in travel or and dining or takeout gets you to break even fee wise when you consider that 3% back through the portal redeems as 4.5% back. Then you have the hotel status, car rental status, and priority pass/lounge benefits and this might be the perfect card for anyone with even one Ultimate reward card to pair with it. It's really unbelievable. I have already decided that I am gardening until having this card is a reality.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The CSR is a great card for anyone!

I picked mine up on last day of the 100k bonus. Now I either need an offer on chase website or a year to get back to 4/24 for the freedom unlimited.
Message 2 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

While I agree that it's a fantastic product for many people and the 100k bonus was phenomenal, I still feel that for folks who don't travel often it might not be the perfect fit.

Folks like myself who seldom fly can get 3% cash back for travel from the Sam's Club MC, Costco Visa, or AAA Visa with a much lower effective AF (or no AF for the AAA Visa).  For the Sam's MC and Costco Visa, if you would have the membership anyway the effective AF goes to zero as well.

I'm certainly not knocking the CSR - it's definitely a game-changer for travelers - but I don't think it's quite for everybody, nor did Chase mean for it to be.  Further, with a minimum SL of $10k many who would otherwise be a great fit for the benefits will be excluded as well.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's for people under 5/24, not for EVERYONE Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like Gollem from Lord of the Rings and the Preferred and Reserve cards are just out of reach. If I get one in hand one day, I will probably kneel in a corner caressing it in all its metallic glory calling it precious.
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only travel once per year and it's paid for by my job, so I have zero use for travel cards and have yet to come across one that makes any sense to have in my wallet when you consider essentially no traveling.  I personally wouldn't ever consider the CSR.

Message 6 of 25
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Imo, I don't have it, and don't want it -- I just don't travel enough for the CSR to be worth the AF

Message 7 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
. Then you have the hotel status, car rental status, .

I wasn't aware of Hotel status, which hotel chain is this for?

I applied for it in-branch just a week before the 100k was to expire. The denial letter was dated the very next day, a Saturday, and did not even bother to give me my FICO score from the EX / EQ double pull. It went straight to a single reason: "Too many credit cards opened in the last two years associated with you". No other reason offered.

I guess 10/24 is too many Smiley Tongue

So, November 1, 2017 is the new application date.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 25
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

I actually have effectively reduced my AF to $30 using the Bank of America Better Balance Rewards card. If you may more the minimum payment consistently, you will get $25 rewards for that quarter, and $30 if you have a BOA checking account. Thus, I get $120/yr. Definitely a worthwhile system!

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually it is an extremely good card for chase

Delicate balance between "enticing people into thinking they gain" and "when averaged, card holders loss and chase gain" done right. At the same time forcing competitors including AMEX into "frantic" movements which is almost ridiculous. Perhaps Citi is also regretting over their earlier incorrect move or BOA is taking note of the freezy.

Something similar to inflation is at play here. When everyone has a PPS card, the PP lounges will say "we are full, sorry" to many that didn't get in first; when billions and billons of URs are created through bonus and spending, the transfer partners' stock will be swipped up in no time leaving some with the situaiton of "no award availability"; when every customer of national is 'executive', EAs will likely be empty, or maybe there's a versa or yaris left there waiting for the "executives" whose plane landed 5 min too lateSmiley Happy

But despite all these, I still like the card and appreciate them releasing it, competition among banks is not a bad thing for us.

And yes, it is not for the 6/24ers and higher.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.