Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Infamous Report Inappropriate Content option! --- 6/13/14

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The Infamous Report Inappropriate Content option! --- 6/13/14

Recently your wayward moderators have become aware of a couple of rumors, myths, and legends regarding the Report Inappropriate Content option, and we're attempting to dispel them.  In doing so we hope to improve the community by being more responsive on the smaller things, but we need your assistance with that.

What It Is

The Report Inappropriate Content (hereafter labelled RIC) option is badly misnamed - on the myFICO community we use it for anything which needs attention from a moderator which range from the trivial, to the minor, to the potentially inapproriate things which damage the community.  We actually do pretty darned well as a community on reporting the things that harm the community (FSR nastiness, trolling, blatant spam), but we don't do so well on some of the other things such as cleanup (admittedly somewhat trivial) or more importantly, moving a thread to a better location where it can be assisted better by the community vis a vis a question about an open collection is best served in the Rebuilding Your Credit board, rather than Credit Card Approvals.

All the RIC option does is create a message in the Abuse folder which is only accessible to the moderators and admins; this option is available to everyone: users, CL's, moderators, and admins.

It is accessible from any message under Options and looks similar to:

RIC.png

This is not an exhaustive list, but a few common things which the RIC option can be used for:

• Request to move a thread
  • Request to delete a post - duplicate or blank, thread maintenance
  • Request to remove a thread (can't delete our own posts unfortunately on Lithium)
  • Report of a potentially trolling user
  • Report of a potentially non-FSR statement
  • Report of potential spam / solicitation
  • Anything remotely questionable where moderator attention may be warranted; if it's no problem, no harm, no foul and at least someone got a chance to take a second look at it.

What It Is Not

This is where the myths come into play; please feel free to add to the list in the discusion (or PM a moderator or admin you are comfortable with and we'll add it anonymously).  

Explicitly it is not:

• Automatically removing the post in question: this requires moderator or admin action.  Actually, ALL actions in regard to the RIC option must be performed by a moderator or admin.
  • Creating a record on the user: it does not, it simply generates a message in the Abuse folder which the moderators and admins have access to, nothing else. 
  • Sending any sort of notification to the user who wrote the message in question: no one else outside of the moderator and admin staffs will ever see a record of it.
  • Tattling on a user: I know I can't convince you of this necessarily, but we're all adults here and if it makes better use of available moderator time the better the community will be for it.
  • Something reserved for the forum "establishment" (however you define it): it is for every single member of this community.

In closing, to reiterate, we're simply trying to improve the forums and clear up some unfortunate theories which seem to have crept in over the years.  I know I'm of the opinion this is a fantastic community, but we're striving to make it better and in this case all of you can potentially help.  

Thank you all for your contributions on the forums!

--Revelate, myFICO moderator

        
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MadTechnologist
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Infamous Report Inappropriate Content option! --- 6/13/14

Thanks for the info. I wondered what that button was for and now I know!

Starting Score: 611 (02/28/2014 EQ MyFico) 608 (Barclays TU 03/28/14)
Current Score: 665 (05/13/16 EQ) 655 (05/13/16 TU) 672 (05/13/16 EX) Gardening since 04/30/2016
Goal Score: 740+ All Around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 15
TheConductor
Established Contributor

It does seem like a lot of the rumors and misconceptions could be remedied by simply renaming the button to "Request Moderator Assistance" or something like that.

If that's impossible, this post certainly does an admirable job of clearing up the misunderstandings. 

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 3 of 15
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Great post, Revelate! I can say with certainty, these guys want you to use the link if you think any of the above apply, don't hesitate to use it. Only so many of mods/admins so there is only so much that they can do, and I know they've posted before that it's really helpful to them!

I know when I used them before, I always felt like I was creating a mess/problem/work for them and I was hesitant to click it. Do not think that! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

It does seem like a lot of the rumors and misconceptions could be remedied by simply renaming the button to "Request Moderator Assistance" or something like that.

If that's impossible, this post certainly does an admirable job of clearing up the misunderstandings. 

Or just call it Yoo Hoo!

After all it is just to attract someones attention...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 15
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@TheConductor wrote:

Or just call it Yoo Hoo!

After all it is just to attract someones attention...

I like this suggestion!!  Smiley Very Happy

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 6 of 15
Stralem
Established Contributor

So if I send a copy of a Game of Thrones/Power Rangers erotic novel that I've been working on through this report function, I'll be able to receive editorial feedback from the entire moderation team?

Neato.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 7 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

So if I send a copy of a Game of Thrones/Power Rangers erotic novel that I've been working on through this report function, I'll be able to receive editorial feedback from the entire moderation team?

Neato.

Power Rangers? Nah, it should be Kamen Rider.

the lock has been opened.

How shall it be used... that forbidden fruit?

-Kamen Rider Gaim references, for those of you that don't watch current Japanese TV shows.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 15
Stralem
Established Contributor

えっっ?!誰かが仮面ライダーを知っているのか?!

Alright, color me impressed. Smiley Happy

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 9 of 15
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

Neato.

Such pure genius.  Love the thinking outside the box!  Smiley Very Happy
EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.