Did you mean: 

The New 5% on Everything Card

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: The New 5% on Everything Card

@sengpatt wrote:

The GM Card from CapOne!

The only catch? "Use your Earnings toward over 30 eligible, new (Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac) vehicles."

LOLZ. Useless for me, but perhaps useful for other people looking to save up for a car. I can't help but think that even 5% won't make a dent in the price of a vehicle unless you are putting major, major spend through it though.

This is useless for me as well. It figures it couldn't just be a straight 5%...Smiley Frustrated

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 11 of 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I wouldn't purchase an American made car if my life depended on it.

...and I wouldn't purchase anything else.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 12 of 21
Matt6995
Regular Contributor

While every one has the right to their own opinion it is shocking to me that people who call themselves Americans would have nothing to do with American products.

The active support of another country will lead to the demise of this one.

If you have children you might insist they learn Mandarin and Korean as they will be in charge if the current path we are on does not change.

I for one purchased a new Chevy a few months back and just purchased a new designed, engineered and manufactured in America Maytag washer/dryer. This was done intentionally to support my fellow Americans. That is the way it is supposed to work.

Message 13 of 21
100down0monthly
New Contributor

@Matt6995 wrote:

While every one has the right to their own opinion it is shocking to me that people who call themselves Americans would have nothing to do with American products.

If you have children you might insist they learn Mandarin and Korean as they will be in charge if the current path we are on does not change.

I for one purchased a new Chevy a few months back and just purchased a new designed, engineered and manufactured in America Maytag washer/dryer. This was done intentionally to support my fellow Americans. That is the way it is supposed to work.

Interesting...and a bit sad article:  http://www.dailytech.com/Study+Toyota+is+More+American+Than+GM+Ford+Chrysler/article15618.htm

Below is one paragraph:

"The thorough study takes into account several critical factors including where the vehicles are assembled, their popularity based on sales volume, and the percentage of the parts made in the U.S. based on the cost or value of those parts.  After five years as the most "American" vehicle, the Ford F-150 truck was dethroned in a shocking upset by the Toyota Camry."

Message 14 of 21
SnowBowl
Frequent Contributor

its kinda of misleading in a way.... its $600 max per year so basically 12 grand charges on this GM Card  and you're done for the year!! Yes, its 5% GM dollars back and does work  but its on a short leash.. Oh and it expires in 7 years as well. so $600 per year would take 5 years to hit $3,000 then do your car shopping.. I think I rather BCP than this.

on this date 1-22-24 all 3 bureaus are currently frozen until 1-22-26
VantageScore 3.0 EQ 753
Message 15 of 21
ElPinolero

@CreditScholar wrote:

I wouldn't purchase an American made car if my life depended on it.

Let's hope your life never has to depend on it. I love cars and can appreciate foreign cars. Maybe even admit that some are just works of art in terms of tech and design. In the end, I'm a patriot first and just love me some good old American cars. Particularly muscle cars and even our home grown sports cars. My last car was a 2010 Corvette Z51. I could've gone with the BMW M3, Porsche Cayman, or even the Carrera. Went with the Corvette just caused I loved it the most and you can't beat the value. My current beater is a '06 Honda Civic Si which I inherited from helping a friend who couldn't afford it anymore. In terms of quality, I have to say that I haven't seen much of a difference between this car and my past American cars. Civic only has about 50,000 miles on it and alread the interior roof lining is falling apart, paint on the roof is disappearing, shifer leather pealed away, etc, etc, etc. In the end its a good car and most all cars are as good as you treat them.

To keep the thread relevant, good card if you want to run through a few thousand to save up for the new redesigned Corvette coming out.

Message 16 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Matt6995 wrote:

And it may shock you to know that not everyone is American!  CreditScholar, who made the original comment,  was not born American (don't know if he/she became a citizen since) judging from an earlier post "when I first came to this country".

And, if you really think the product is inferior, blindly purchasing it for patriotic reasons doesn't really help.   The industries have to become globally competitive to survive, and market pressure is a good way to deal with that.  (And that is certainly happening with the American auto industry, but it didn't for many years.)

Message 17 of 21
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Of all the American brands, I think Ford has made the best leap in terms of design and performance.  I'm a Subaru guy but I've been very impressed at Ford's lineup.  GM is definately getting better, but they still have a ways to go.  They need a more affordable hybrid or electric if they want to compete on a serious level.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 18 of 21
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

I'm a VW guy...soon to be Subaru

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 19 of 21
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

There is a redemption limit on this card anyway. Making it even more useless. The only American brand I trust is Ford.

https://www.gmcard.com/core/vehicles/ra-2013

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.