Re: The Next Step

JMHO. CREDIT UNION.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 11 of 16
Oh_Canada

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Why do you need a $10K CL?

My wedding is coming up so I wanted to put as much of those expenses I can on a credit card with a 0% intro rate.

Message 12 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Oh_Canada wrote:

Why do you need a $10K CL?

My wedding is coming up so I wanted to put as much of those expenses I can on a credit card with a 0% intro rate.

Does it matter who's name the card is in? (Don't even think about joint app'ing!) How is her CBR/score?
Message 13 of 16
Oh_Canada

Does it matter who's name the card is in? (Don't even think about joint app'ing!) How is her CBR/score?
She has excellent credit....I just came to the U.S. recently so I'm still building mine. I just applied for a Discover Card and Capital One which gave me a combined $1500 so I am now humbled. It mattered for pride reasons but it looks like she's gonna start off being the breadwinner. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started with two basic cards when rebuilding my credit...a MasterCard and a Visa.  In this particularly credit-harsh economy, I think your credit score is way, way too low for a 10k CL. 

I think you've done the right thing by starting the credit history as soon as possible, but time-wise you still have a while to go.  Never miss a payment in the next 4 or 5 years and you should be in the upper 700's. 

Once you reach the high 700's / 800's promised land I can tell you it's nice to have, when you need to make that call and pull that "card" out of the hat.  The talk about citi annual fees pushed me toward my first new cc in three years (my first Discover card) and they're bending over backwards for me.

Message 15 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

There's a little more to it than that. I got my first $10K CL card while I was sporting a 690 EQ FICO. (And EQ was pulled for the app.) So it is possible. The question is: What will work for the OP?

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.