Did you mean: 

The ONLY Card You'll Ever Need !!

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: The ONLY Card You'll Ever Need !!

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Tech support said that an update will be sent to those that currently have it. And in a few weeks when it's finalized, all new units will already be EMV compatible. 

I have no doubt that they told you an update is coming but like a lot of these upstart companies they always don't deliver what they promise.  Weeks turn into months.  Months into years.   Guess we will see as they certainly aren't going to tell people that it's never going to be compatible and you're wasting your money.

Be interesting to see how this can be done  (someone with more knowledge on EMV can help here).   Usually the reader interacts with the inserted chip, whereas here there would be only one chip (on the Wocket card) and this would have to work for all the cards.

Message 31 of 85
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Tech support said that an update will be sent to those that currently have it. And in a few weeks when it's finalized, all new units will already be EMV compatible. 

I have no doubt that they told you an update is coming but like a lot of these upstart companies they always don't deliver what they promise.  Weeks turn into months.  Months into years.   Guess we will see as they certainly aren't going to tell people that it's never going to be compatible and you're wasting your money.

Be interesting to see how this can be done  (someone with more knowledge on EMV can help here).   Usually the reader interacts with the inserted chip, whereas here there would be only one chip (on the Wocket card) and this would have to work for all the cards.

I still question what kind of 'update' can cure the issue of there not being a physical contact/chip on the actual card.

Message 32 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

there have been WAY too many variants of cards like these, some of them not being released on time, or just being dropped altogether. Glad that OP actually got one that works!

Does that require a phone to wokr

Message 33 of 85
baller4life
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Not sure. But all data from the stored card is loaded onto the Wocket card once you select it. So I'm assuming once the update is done that would mean chip info too? I'm not tech savy. So I'm just guessing. Apparently an "update" will fix existing device. Then going forward their devices will already be EMV compatible.

Message 34 of 85
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

there have been WAY too many variants of cards like these, some of them not being released on time, or just being dropped altogether. Glad that OP actually got one that works!

Does that require a phone to wokr

This product does not require your phone to use. The device receive updates to it . You can select to check for updates .

ive seen other similar products but never came out and they require you to have your smart phone present. This works great.

even with my debit card and using my PIN to get cash back at the register. This is the real deal . I love it so far. I'm not worried about the chip as that is being updated .

i did pre order for mine and was only $149 and not $229. I had been on waiting list for sometime and those folk got first dibs and with the discount

Message 35 of 85
noobody
Established Contributor

I guess this one just clone magnetic strip as it like plain text, and I do not believe emv chip can be cloned.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 36 of 85
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@noobody wrote:
I guess this one just clone magnetic strip as it like plain text, and I do not believe emv chip can be cloned.

No need to try and predict what and what can not be done as this is 2015. Technology is always surprising us. I don't put it pass them being able to do it.

thats not for me to predict or judge. I'm just enjoying what I have at the moment and its makes for a great conversation piece ...... As I stated before, this concept

of card carrying will not be for everybody.

Message 37 of 85
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

@noobody wrote:

No need to try and predict what and what can not be done as this is 2015. Technology is always surprising us. I don't put it pass them being able to do it.

thats not for me to predict or judge. I'm just enjoying what I have at the moment and its makes for a great conversation piece ...... As I stated before, this concept

Score, I agree completely. 

This is really neat tech and I'm certain it this is likely the 'tip of the iceberg' of what is to come.  Frankly, I've said for years I wish there was a *single* card that could be carried in my pocket to replace the 'wad' of cards that's currently there.  Without folks like you willing to give this stuff a chance we would never get the opportunity to get new stuff.

All of my questions on the 'liability shift' weren't meant to put a cold blanket on the excitement of using bleeding-edge technology for something so many of us have just accepted as 'as good as it gets'.  It does - and will - get better, more efficient - and cooler! - but we have to start somewhere, and it can't start out of the gate 'perfect'.  The rest of us are lucky there are folks like you willing to be the 'guinea pigs', so to speak.

I agree with your attitude on not being worried about the EMV, etc.  As long as you weren't required to make an unreasonable investment (you said you weren't) there is nothing wrong with just enjoying the card and growing with it.  There might be some 'glitches', some EMV issues, or even possibly some merchants that will be confused, but as long as you're up for that I think it's great. 

Not that many years ago (1960s), somebody had to be the 'first' to use a new-fangled plastic card to pay for a business dinner, wondering if the waiter would know what to do.  Thank goodness that person wasn't hesitant to check out the "new tech".  Smiley Very Happy

Just my 2¢

P.S.  Please keep us posted on how it works out for you!

Message 38 of 85
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

@noobody wrote:

Right but it also makes sense to try to decide what is potentially real and what is just marketing.   After all, LongTimeLurker Products Inc is planning to produce the next version of this, where you don't even need one card.    Store your cards on our device at home, then make a payment simply by looking at the merchant's terminal!   Works on ALL types of terminal, or at least it will after the next release.

Message 39 of 85
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

Sounds like this update could be vaporware. 

I like how their FAQ dances around EMV:

I just received a new EMV card, will it work with Wocket?
If your card has a magnetic stripe, lock it in your Wocket and swipe away!

Seems like a useful device, I would prefer a single card that is tethered to a smartphone so I can use my own wallet. 

Message 40 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.