Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Past Returns, Now What?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: The Past Returns, Now What?

@mAndrew1980 wrote:

Think I'm gonna opt-out after reading this thread. I don't want anybody sniffing around my reports. At this point I don't really have too many skelatons in the closet  (thank God) but you never know. still got one thing I can think of that could potentailly come back.

I've read several posts here by those getting ready to close on mortgages that they had collections slapped on right before closing that were obviously not theirs, but due to the lender requirements that there be no open collections, they paid, even though the collections weren't theirs. They didn't have time to go through the steps to have the collections removed, because they needed to close by a certain date.

Now believe me, I realize that people don't always post the Gospel truth here, but I wouldn't be surprised by much of anything when it comes to JDB's. At any rate, the risk doesn't seem worth it.

I'm still kerfluffled about the opting-out vs freezing, but it does make sense that doing both could offer an extra layer of protection, especially for anyone who had shaky credit times in the past.

What a world...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 21 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, I'm definitely glad that I've opted out. I'm still on the fence about the freeze though. It can get really expensive to turn it on and off for each of the CRAs. And probably a bit inconvenient as well. If I had been a victim of identity theft, like Mustang, then I'd most definitely do it. But fortunately that has never been an issue for me. (Not that anyone would *want* to steal my "credit"! Smiley Very Happy)

If, as the CRAs say, the freeze doesn't stop CAs from pulling your CR, then I guess I don't reallly see the benefit (for me, anyway). If it *does* prevent the CRAs from selling my info to CAs, JDBs, etc., then I think it would be worthwhile.Frankly, I don't think they should have the right to do that under any circumstances. But that's just my opinion. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 22 of 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Well, I'm definitely glad that I've opted out. I'm still on the fence about the freeze though. It can get really expensive to turn it on and off for each of the CRAs. And probably a bit inconvenient as well. If I had been a victim of identity theft, like Mustang, then I'd most definitely do it. But fortunately that has never been an issue for me. (Not that anyone would *want* to steal my "credit"! Smiley Very Happy)

If, as the CRAs say, the freeze doesn't stop CAs from pulling your CR, then I guess I don't reallly see the benefit (for me, anyway). If it *does* prevent the CRAs from selling my info to CAs, JDBs, etc., then I think it would be worthwhile.Frankly, I don't think they should have the right to do that under any circumstances. But that's just my opinion. Smiley Happy

The freeze is worth it. It'll make you think a lil harder about if you really need this or that card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 23 of 28
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

The freeze is worth it. It'll make you think a lil harder about if you really need this or that card.

I'm with bichonmom. I am opted out -- mostly because I really did not care for the flow of shreddable mail -- but am a very disciplined app'er. I only app for things I really use, and at this point only have 3 cards. Without further taxing hauling, who's been already generous with her time and knowledge, it would be very nice to have more info on freezing vs opting out if anyone else knows stuff. (Thank you Marinevietvet, what you posted is already very useful). I feel that now I understand the general workings, but it might be worth getting the nuances. Maybe a new thread too?

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 24 of 28
dharalex
Established Contributor

So how do you opt out?

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

You can opt out here: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 26 of 28
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

You can opt out here: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/

thnx mom

Message 27 of 28
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Creditaddict,

I'm so sorry to hear that you got hit with this. I've had my own JDB issue to deal with this week, so I certainly understand your pain. It hurts to have worked so hard to get your act together and clean up your credit, see yourself making positive progress, and then feel like you've been pooped on. I hope that you get this resolved favorably very soon. Allow me to offer hugs, if you'd like...

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.